• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

More volume from 2020 242SE OEM system

bobholthaus

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I bought a 2020 242SE last summer. It has the factory stereo which consists of a Wetsounds Amp, 6 Polk speakers (I believe they’re Polk), and the factory subwoofer on the port side. Before I upgrade all of the speakers, I’d like to start with more wattage Into the existing system. I don’t know what the model of the oem amp is; is there a direct plug-n-play upgrade to the factory amp that will give me more wattage? And then if that gets me to distort too soon, I’ll then upgrade all of the speakers. I really just want more volume at close-to wide open throttle; I don’t quite need club-worthy volume just yet. Thanks in advance.

ShesCrafty

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length

Plpbecks

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I’m with @jocolo21, the factory wet sounds amp is your weak link, programmed for conservative sounds with no way to really tweak. I changed the amp setup without touching speakers and got WAY more sound out of the stock system. I can’t overstate it. The factory amp is programmed to maybe 25% capacity? especially on the low end. The thread @ShesCrafty shared will get you the max out of your system, but it is severely limited by the factory programming.

bobholthaus

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I’m going to try the Rockford Fosgate booster that is posted from last spring. Once I get it in, I’ll post my thoughts here on it. I’ve asked Jacoviii to make the RCA harness I need for me.

bobholthaus

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I’m with @jocolo21, the factory wet sounds amp is your weak link, programmed for conservative sounds with no way to really tweak. I changed the amp setup without touching speakers and got WAY more sound out of the stock system. I can’t overstate it. The factory amp is programmed to maybe 25% capacity? especially on the low end. The thread @ShesCrafty shared will get you the max out of your system, but it is severely limited by the factory programming.
What amp did you go with and was it plug and play?

Gregvjr

Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Other
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Go to bed Bob...you have work tomorrow...and you are too old for loud music...Greg Vat....

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
2020 242SE
The stock speakers are fine, the amp is tuned low to prevent being too loud for some odd reason, and they run some speakers in series to keep the amp from working too hard. I'd keep the stock speakers, get a new amp and re-wire the speakers to ensure everything is running properly and matched output - sound output will likely double. That's kind of what I did - added a JL 500/4 to run my stock Polks and added another set mid-cabin for more volume while cruising (total of 8 speakers running in parallel off the 4-ch amp). Once powered with a good amp, the stock speakers really wake up and pump the tunes...I'm sure you'd get the same or better results.

bobholthaus

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
The stock speakers are fine, the amp is tuned low to prevent being too loud for some odd reason, and they run some speakers in series to keep the amp from working too hard. I'd keep the stock speakers, get a new amp and re-wire the speakers to ensure everything is running properly and matched output - sound output will likely double. That's kind of what I did - added a JL 500/4 to run my stock Polks and added another set mid-cabin for more volume while cruising (total of 8 speakers running in parallel off the 4-ch amp). Once powered with a good amp, the stock speakers really wake up and pump the tunes...I'm sure you'd get the same or better results.
This is what I’m considering doing. What does it take to plug the OEM head unit into a new Amp? I am also considering adding another set of speakers mid cabin. Does the JL amp you mention drive the sub as well? Thank you for taking the time to reply.

jocolo21

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
This is what I’m considering doing. What does it take to plug the OEM head unit into a new Amp? I am also considering adding another set of speakers mid cabin. Does the JL amp you mention drive the sub as well? Thank you for taking the time to reply.
You will need a pig tail for the head unit with rca outputs, you could get a jl 700/5 wire the 8 speaker in parallel at 2ohms and you’ll get 100rms x4 plus 300x1 @2ohms for a sub. And be done with with. Sell your stock amp to someone that it amp went bad.

A61C2E69-C971-4085-95E4-A08290158198.png

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
This is what I’m considering doing. What does it take to plug the OEM head unit into a new Amp?
Depends on your head unit. Mine is the Fusion RA70 at the swim platform which supports RCA outputs so it's easy to plug in cables to connect to the new amp. Mine had the RCA outs, but many others have said Yamaha crimped theirs so they needed to buy a replacement connection from Fusion. It was easy to connect and run the wires for most of it - just a little tight in the stern but manageable. I'm really happy with the results and the speakers pump nicely with real power pushing them at 50w+.
I am also considering adding another set of speakers mid cabin. Does the JL amp you mention drive the sub as well? Thank you for taking the time to reply.
No mine is a 4-channel amp, so no sub output specifically and I'm not running a sub (don't care for them with music), but there are many models of 5-ch amps that will do the trick - @jocolo21 makes a good recommendation which would work nicely.

bobholthaus

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
You will need a pig tail for the head unit with rca outputs, you could get a jl 700/5 wire the 8 speaker in parallel at 2ohms and you’ll get 100rms x4 plus 300x1 @2ohms for a sub. And be done with with. Sell your stock amp to someone that it amp went bad.

View attachment 164856
Where do I get a pig tail to add the Rockford booster? Thank you!