• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Mountain bike riders?

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Glad you found the problem, but I would still go tubeless. Last time I had tubes, I was with a flat and couldn't get the bead off. I had to borrow a spoon from a car rental place and fight with a stuck bead in 100F. Miserable. Flats with tubeless can 99% of the time be solved with a tire plug and with the wheel on the bike. Much easier.

On another topic, I got my new saddle with titanium rails. I had cr-mo before and it bent easy in a crash. And I will be taking the bike with me to Greer, SC and then Palm Beach, FL starting on 11/24. Im looking to check out some trails.

IMG_4180.JPG

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@I_squared_r that's a nice looking saddle. I noticed while I had mine upside down to get the wheel off last night that there's a rip in the vinyl on mine. It's not major, so I'm gonna ride it until it's a problem, still a bummer though. Between that and the bike shop fixes, I'm feeling like my $700 deal wasn't as good as I thought it was.

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@I_squared_r that's a nice looking saddle. I noticed while I had mine upside down to get the wheel off last night that there's a rip in the vinyl on mine. It's not major, so I'm gonna ride it until it's a problem, still a bummer though. Between that and the bike shop fixes, I'm feeling like my $700 deal wasn't as good as I thought it was.
Nah man, its like a boat. Money pit. Even when dialed in you still will find a way to spend more money

mrmeaniemeateaterman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
What hobby isn’t a money pit!?!?
Some hobbies the aesthetics concerns me, most others fall into that “F’it it’s still functioning” category. Mtb’ing is top of that list.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Nah man, its like a boat. Money pit. Even when dialed in you still will find a way to spend more money
I do remember the initial setup of the death machine was expensive. $1,100 purchase and then about another $1k or so trickled out over the next 6mo as I got it setup and working just right. Once it was dialed in those, it's just been maintenance for the last decade or so. I'm hoping Mt Biking will be similar.

Boat on the other hand, I'm forever trying to justify mods for it. I think the fact that bike mods are like $100 a hit, and boat mods are like $1k a hit, it keeps my boat mod pace slowed down a bit. Wife got a big promotion a few weeks ago, we'll see if that holds though :D

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Biking is a lot less stressful and cheaper than boats, jet skis, motorcycles, cars, etc. There's nothing on a bike that would upend my budget for a month or more.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
SUCCESS!!!!

Made it out for about an hour today. Was able to make a full lap around Cherokee Park. A few notes.
  • Always remember to check the fork. Rode about 1.5mi before I realized it was locked out. Was cussing the LBS for adding too much air. Looked down and realized it was.locked out....oops....ride got much better after that.
  • I ran 45psi in both tires. No pinch flats and no punctures. Still had 45psi when I got back to the car. Still considering going to tubeless, but glad to know tubes CAN still work.
  • I seriously have to get a better pack for tools and such. Maybe just some sound proofing on the seat bag. I dislike riding with a backpack, bit still want to take some tools with me once I start some longer rides next season
  • Holy Crap I'm out of shape. I've lost both balance and lung capacity. Had to walk a few really technical uphils over roots/rocks. I might have had the balance or the lungs, but didn't have both at the same time.
  • I've got to get a rack. Ugh the bike does not fit well in the back hatch of the Audi.
  • 800mm wide bars are obnoxious. Twice I hit both sides on trees at the same time. Bout knocked me off once. Not sure what to do about that other than learn to watch where I'm going.
Glad to be back on the bike and not held back by equipment though. Hopefully we can keep some of this nice weather for a few more weekends. 65degF on a Saturday in November isn't that common.

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
you can cut down the bars. 760-800 is usually reserved for dowhnill, enduro style, riding

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
you can cut down the bars. 760-800 is usually reserved for dowhnill, enduro style, riding
I think I'm going to look for another set of grips as well. My bear paw sized hands were sore after an hour on the bike. Need something with a larger diameter. I can easily touch my palm with the tip of my middle and index finger on these grips.....also they were white, bit apparently my black gloves left some die behind and they're kinda gray now :(

Gwade8808

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
What's up guys! New to jet boats and fairly new to mountain biking. I ride a YT jefsey comp 29er. I'm in FL (Volusia/ Flagler area) and we ride all over. Graham Swamp, mala, Riverbend, chuck Lennon, and Santos on occasion. Just got back from NC and did Dupont, kaneuga, mills river, black mountain and then treated ourselves to Beach mountain. Man I love lift assist lol! If anyone is in the area let me know. Would be great to ride/boat or better yet, ride then boat. The parking lot at malacompra is literally right next to bings boat ramp that will take you out to matanzas inlet. There is also a fantastic barbecue restaurant right on the water called Captain D's. Would be awesome to get a group together and ride then spend the day on the water!

Last edited:

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Any of you guys sized a MtBike for a kid? Oldest has been asking to go ride with me, and I'm all for it.

Looking at a few websites I think he might be big enough to use an adult XS frame with a 27.5 wheel. He's 10yrs old, and does well on his current 20in bike, but it's getting obviously small for him. He's 4'8" (56in), and has a 27in inseam. Looks like a number of the XS frames have standover heights around 26-27in. He's right on the cusp now, but would likely grow into it and be "right sized" either next season or shortly there after.

I'm worried about getting him something cheap from WalMart/Target/etc and him beating the snot out of it and it not lasting. Likewise, I don't think he needs a $2k full suspension setup. All the online retailers are wanting to size him by age and wheel size, and I don't think that will work well either. i also don't want to put him on something that weighs 50lbs and have him be tired and have difficulty controlling the thing because it weighs as much as he does.

Any thoughts?

tkeru408

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
My kids aren't that old yet so no direct experience looking for that size bike, but my next door neighbors kids are 11 and 13 now and about a year and a half ago they got new bikes and went with 27.5". It looked a little big for the younger one at first, but it didn't take long before he grew into it nicely. I think you're right to look for an XS w/ 27.5" wheels. Lots of good hardtail options for <$1K new. If you're going the new route, I'd start with the brands that your local shop(s) carry. I think Kona makes some really nice hardtails in the sub-$1K range but that does you no good if no one nears you carries Kona. The big brands (e.g. Specialized, Giant, Trek) will also have competitive offerings in that price range.

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Any good biking along these routes? Im heading down on Sunday. I took off my roof top tent and put on a new raceface tailgate pad.. Im really hoping for improved gas mileage

1637594278974.png

IMG_4391.jpg

tkeru408

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Any good biking along these routes? Im heading down on Sunday. I took off my roof top tent and put on a new raceface tailgate pad.. Im really hoping for improved gas mileage

View attachment 167472

View attachment 167473
Wish my truck was that clean. I have no advice on your actual question, but seeing your picture did give me a thought (which you may have already tried). When I only have one or two bikes, I'm able to angle my bikes in the bed of my truck so that I can get my tri-fold tonneau cover to fold down in the first position. You might be able to do that, too, so that it doesn't stand straight up and block the rear-view mirror for 669 miles. Bike length may prevent it, but worth a shot (I'm able to do it with a Specialized size S5 (XL) 29er so not a small bike by any means). I love my tailgate pad and pretty much never use my hitch-mount bike rack on my truck; still use it on the wife's van, but it's rare we're in the van with the bikes. Have fun on your trip!

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Wish my truck was that clean. I have no advice on your actual question, but seeing your picture did give me a thought (which you may have already tried). When I only have one or two bikes, I'm able to angle my bikes in the bed of my truck so that I can get my tri-fold tonneau cover to fold down in the first position. You might be able to do that, too, so that it doesn't stand straight up and block the rear-view mirror for 669 miles. Bike length may prevent it, but worth a shot (I'm able to do it with a Specialized size S5 (XL) 29er so not a small bike by any means). I love my tailgate pad and pretty much never use my hitch-mount bike rack on my truck; still use it on the wife's van, but it's rare we're in the van with the bikes. Have fun on your trip!
I haven't tried putting the bikes at an angle. There is a toolbox on the driver's side and the bed is short (5ft) so it doesnt look possible. Im only bringing 1 bike so im going to try to lay it down.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well......pulled the trigger on a bucket of bike rack parts this morning.

Got a set of Thule AeroBars and associated mounting equipment. Then a pair of 1up trays to go on the bars. I'll be certain to post up pics and reviews once they're in and installed.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Another successful ride today. Made the full 10.3mi lap at Cherokee Park. No flats. Only had to walk one technical uphill where I didn't have the lungs and balance at the same time to make it happen. Otherwise a pretty good ride.

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I drove total 1500 miles from NYC to SC and then to South Florida. I rode at Paris mountain in SC .. Nothing crazy there. I was told that the good riding is an hour north from there. Then I headed to Grapefruit trails in Palm Bay, FL. Tons of well built freeride features and I tried almost everything there. I set up my office here in South Florida and will spend a week here before driving back to NYC then end of December packing up the bikes to take to rio de janeiro again. I love remote workIMG_4445.jpgIMG_4439.jpgIMG_4442.jpg