• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Mounted my Ray Marine Dragonfly with Ram Mounts Today

cane.mba

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
True, I learned about 5200 when I got it all over my hands, shorts, and a couple of tools..... At this point it doesn't leak, so I should leave well enough alone. I'm starting to amaze myself with some of the wisdom I'm starting to exhibit!

:cool:

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Master-Spud

I now have a season of experience using the Dragonfly. I really like the unit. I bought it in a West Marine black friday sale for $499 in 2014 with Navionics Gold Maps.

The Gold Maps package included a coastal and a lakes chip. The lakes chip is supposed to cover popular lakes but it does not cover any of the lakes that I boat on. In June I purchased Navionics Updates for $99. Updates is a 2GB $99 blank Navionics card that comes with the ability to download data to the chip for a year. You have to have an existing Navionics card to activate it. I bought the Updates in June and filled the card with map data from areas that I boat in in the Caribbean, my local lakes, the Gulf Coast Area and lakes in Texas that I plan to visit. Since I bought it in June I will be able to update the maps again just before the 2015 Bimini Fling. I like the fresh data but I am disappointed that the "Gold" maps that came with the unit did not cover my local lakes. I discussed this with Raymarine tech support. The agent said that he recommends buying without maps for inland lake usage and buying the regional maps. In my case having bought the unit with Gold Maps for less than normal pricing for the bare unit I came out on top despite spending an additional $99 for maps.

Twice this year, I have navigated 10 mile + trips on Lake Ouachita on moonless nights using the Dragonfly as my only guide. Lake Oauchita has more than 200 islands as well as ridges that extend close to the surface and standing timber. So nighttime boating is treacherous. I have found that the maps and representation on the Dragonfly are sufficiently accurate and timely that I can safely navigate around 20 mph on those moonless nights. The maps even include the buoys around the marinas.

The Dragonfly display is bright enough to work well on the sunniest days and dims low enough not to disturb night vision. Pressing the power button brings up a screen that has the brightness control selected. I often find myself using this method to adjust the brightness in the morning after having turned it down at night. I wish that the unit automatically adjusted the brightness.

I am not a fisherman so I have rarely used the down vision. I can say that it creates some pretty pictures of the bottom when you are going very slowly or sitting still. The images on the Raymarine website are consistent with what I see but please note the speeds in the screen captures. For example

The unit provides a reliable depth reading under 30 MPH. Occasionally it will register depth at higher speeds but it always registers depth under 30 MPH which is way better than what the Norcross unit did.

When I bought my Dragonfly only the 5.7" version was available. There is a 7" version available now. The 5.7" is large enough for me and it could be awkward to have a larger unit on the dash. The 7" has slightly higher resolution at 800x640 vs 640x480 and might be an improvement for fishermen.

Mark Miller

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Does my 2014 SS212 already have a factory installed Transducer? I have a depth gauge. And I'd rather not drill a hole in the hull if there is already wiring for a transducer. I'm looking to add a Garmin or Lowrance chart plotter/fish finder...

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Does my 2014 SS212 already have a factory installed Transducer? I have a depth gauge. And I'd rather not drill a hole in the hull if there is already wiring for a transducer. I'm looking to add a Garmin or Lowrance chart plotter/fish finder...
I feel certain that you already have a transducer which is likely located below the port side jet.

But you will need to install a new transducer and cable to the at the enhanced functionality for whatever fish finder / plotter that you choose. On the first page of this thread you can see where I ran the wiring through the same path and hole as the factory transducer wiring. Many choose to cut the factory transducer wire and use it to pull the replacement wiring through the hull. This is the fitting that I used to seal the larger hole that I needed for the Raymarine transducer cable https://jetboaters.net/threads/seachoice-17921-3-4-thru-hull-cable-fitting.1805/ .

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
You will have to add a transducer for the new unit @Mark Miller . I have not found a transducer that can support two separate units yet. The new chart plotter will come with or without, but it has to have one compatible with it. I bought a Garmin echomap 70S and I have a transom mount that I wish was a thru hull. But it is what it is. And your still drilling holes.

OnTheWater

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
@Bruce - I am looking at adding the Dragonfly 5.7'' http://www.amazon.com/Raymarine-Dragonfly-Fishfinder-Sonar-Navionics/dp/B00BSG22Y2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1424188847&sr=8-1&keywords=raymarine+dragonfly+5 for my 2013 242 LS and was wondering if you could answer a few questions to help it go smoothly...
-For the Gold version, do you know if it includes some of the popular NW lakes that I boat in? I'm looking for Coeur d'Alene, Priest Lake - Idaho, and Lake Roosevelt - Wa.
-I like the ball mount setup you used and am guessing it would work for my 242 - could you provide me a link that shows what you purchased for that setup?
-Any other recommendations now that you've had it for a while?

@cane.mba and @txav8r - let me know if you guys have anything else to add.

Much appreciated!

Tim

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Belteddeep, The new Dragonfly 5 has a 5" screen, a higher resolution than the 5.7" model and a ball mount built in from the factory. I find it interesting that they released new ball mounted Dragonfly's six months after I sent mine in for repair with a ball mount on the back. I believe that the factory ball mount is on the bottom of the unit which may limit the positions it can be installed in. If I was shopping today I would buy the Dragonfly 5. You may want the slightly larger screen.

I posted a question about lake coverage on the Raymarine Forum. As far as I know it is all smoke and mirrors. Raymarine has added two additional map providers since I bought my unit. I believe they are trying to distance themselves from Navionics.

If I was mounting a 5.7" Dragonfly again I would order two of these Ram Mount Flex Adhesive Base with 1-Inch Ball

And a Ram Mount Double Socket Arm for 1-Inch Ball Bases

For your 242 I suggest getting the Dragonfly and experimenting with where you want to mount it before ordering the double socket arm. They are available in many lengths.

I noticed that Amazon has the 5.7" in Gold for $500 Raymarine Dragonfly Fishfinder Sonar GPS with Navionics Gold

OnTheWater

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
@Belteddeep, The new Dragonfly 5 has a 5" screen, a higher resolution than the 5.7" model and a ball mount built in from the factory. I find it interesting that they released new ball mounted Dragonfly's six months after I sent mine in for repair with a ball mount on the back. I believe that the factory ball mount is on the bottom of the unit which may limit the positions it can be installed in. If I was shopping today I would buy the Dragonfly 5. You may want the slightly larger screen.

I posted a question about lake coverage on the Raymarine Forum. As far as I know it is all smoke and mirrors. Raymarine has added two additional map providers since I bought my unit. I believe they are trying to distance themselves from Navionics.

If I was mounting a 5.7" Dragonfly again I would order two of these Ram Mount Flex Adhesive Base with 1-Inch Ball

And a Ram Mount Double Socket Arm for 1-Inch Ball Bases

For your 242 I suggest getting the Dragonfly and experimenting with where you want to mount it before ordering the double socket arm. They are available in many lengths.

I noticed that Amazon has the 5.7" in Gold for $500 Raymarine Dragonfly Fishfinder Sonar GPS with Navionics Gold
Thanks @Bruce - I'll take a look at the newer 5 and weigh out my options.

kthrash

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would use the 1.5" ram ball mount, my 1" is kinda flimsy with my elite 5, so much so I am replacing it.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I would use the 1.5" ram ball mount, my 1" is kinda flimsy with my elite 5, so much so I am replacing it.
Strange, mine was rock solid all the way to Bimini and back.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I bought a 1.5" because I found the 1" to be flimsy too. The 1.5" is MASSIVE. It is overkill by a long shot. Be aware that RAM makes these mounts in both plastic and powder coated metal. The metal mount is far more serious than the plastic version.

Edit: I changed a typo from 1/5" to 1.5". And wanted to note that the 1" that I looked at was plastic and probably why I found it more flimsy. In a metal version, I think the 1" would be plenty for most of these units...even my 7" plotter.

Last edited:

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Belteddeep, Raymarine replied to my post on their forum. They have created a new North American Gold bundle which includes "a Navionics+ chart card which has been populated with Navionics US 1XG and Canadian 2XG coastal cartography, as well as cartography for all US and Canadian Lakes supported by Navionics HotMaps." This Navionics+ card is eligible for free Freshest Data updates for the first year (pay for subscription available thereafter), The new packages have a SKU with a -NAG suffix.

Between February 1st and April 30th those of us with older units are eligible to register with -GLD chip at the Navionics web store. I have asked for a direct link to the registration form.

cane.mba

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

waterboy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I thought I would add in my new install on my Chartplotter. See pics below. I used a 1.5 inch Ram Mount as shown. Instead of a permanent mount or otherwise, I used a Seasucker vacuum mount. It is rated to hold 40 lbs so this is not going anywhere. It also removes easily and cleanly when not needed.

I am very happy with the clean look of the install and it is very stable.

chartplotter.jpg mount.jpg

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I was just about to search for this thread. That's perfect @waterboy , think I'm gonna go order the same thing now.

waterboy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@veedubtek Cool. Let me know if you need help with part numbers, etc. This crap gets confusing quick with all the options.

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The ram mount is easy enough, part number on the side of the Lowrance box. I'm assuming you used the standard 4.5" seasucker vacuum mount?

billyb

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I thought I would add in my new install on my Chartplotter. See pics below. I used a 1.5 inch Ram Mount as shown. Instead of a permanent mount or otherwise, I used a Seasucker vacuum mount. It is rated to hold 40 lbs so this is not going anywhere. It also removes easily and cleanly when not needed.

I am very happy with the clean look of the install and it is very stable.

View attachment 18971 View attachment 18972
My boat doesn't have room to put the sucker where you did. Do you think your setup would work if you put the sucker on the windshield to the right of where your unit (lol) is?

waterboy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@veedubtek sorry I missed your post, must have been a heavy travel week then... @billyb I used the standard sizes seasucker. That Seasucker has some pretty good holding ability to any non-porous flat surface. It would definitely hold on the windshield if that is what you wanted to do. Least of my worries would be it falling off, I would be more worried about the forces on the glass. For instance, I went with the shortest Ram Mount arm, 1 1/2" if I recall right, to minimize any moment arm forces and to tuck it in tight to the side wall out of the way.