• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Moving to Florida

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Technical recruiter?
Yes. The charlotte office 2 biggest contracts are BoA and wells Fargo. Other offices specialize in other companies.

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I just got a big 9% raise here in NYC and i dont think it will be enough to stay here. Maybe all these high salaries are to entice people to live in micro apartments or commute 1 hour. You have to see some of the apartment buildings I'm working on - 500 sq ft 2 bedroom apartments. Bedrooms dont fit a queen size bed. Also many new buildings here are short stay, dorm living for young professionals that will eventually retire to the suburbs and commute 1+ hours everyday to NYC. They can keep this miserable living. I turn 30 in a few weeks and everything points to leaving

jtwrace

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
PWC
I just got a big 9% raise here in NYC and i dont think it will be enough to stay here. Maybe all these high salaries are to entice people to live in micro apartments or commute 1 hour. You have to see some of the apartment buildings I'm working on - 500 sq ft 2 bedroom apartments. Bedrooms dont fit a queen size bed. Also many new buildings here are short stay, dorm living for young professionals that will eventually retire to the suburbs and commute 1+ hours everyday to NYC. They can keep this miserable living. I turn 30 in a few weeks and everything points to leaving
Good for you, it's the best thing I ever did was get the heck out of there.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Funny hearing everyone talk about all the work in FL, I graduated down there as an EE and moved to NC after spe ding my whole lift in FL because there was little Engineering work. Granted, this was during the reign of Obama, but I have classmates that are still working bs jobs down there because the market is so intensely competitive. They can post an EE job for 65k asking for 10+ years of special experience and have a line of people desperate to take it.

Tli grew up in Palm Beach Gardens. You couldn't pay me enough to move back there. West coast, Northern coast, sure. But not PBC or Broward, and Dade was always off the table. Just my perspective.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Born raised in NNJ the armpit of NJ
Noooo!

That's too funny. lol.
I just took a job right here - in beautiful Elmwood Park, NJ. It is a lovely, lovely place.
lololol.

Hey, at least it's closer to the ocean than anywhere in the midwest ;)
--

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Noooo!

That's too funny. lol.
I just took a job right here - in beautiful Elmwood Park, NJ. It is a lovely, lovely place.
lololol.

--
Haha New Yorkers also say NJ is the armpit of NY because we think of those smelly ports that we drive past on the I95. I lived in weehawken, NJ for a while. I came from Long Island so I came to appreciate the beauty of NNJ and it feels so different. I had a motorcycle and a 2 piece fishing rod that I drove around trying to catch trout in NNJ's many streams and rivers. Or I would ride along the beautiful palisades. There are some really good mountain biking and downhill bike park. Popular camping locations are closer etc. I left because my family and friends were in Long Island. And I also think boating is better in Long Island. Love surfing here too.

You're next to Paterson and i've been told to stay away from there. But I went to La Chiflada and I never felt uncomfortable there .. the only gringo in a colombian club haha it was a good crazy time. Probably there are some great latin restaurants in Paterson that you can try. Definitely try "Noches de Colombia". Also you should check out the palisades, hoboken, harriman state park, lake hopatcong, lake george. Also you can launch your boat in the palisades and go around manhattan then stop for dinner at Surf City in Jersey City. Lmk if you want to know more, I can try to think of other things lol good luck with your move!

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Haha New Yorkers also say NJ is the armpit of NY because we think of those smelly ports that we drive past on the I95. I lived in weehawken, NJ for a while. I came from Long Island so I came to appreciate the beauty of NNJ and it feels so different. I had a motorcycle and a 2 piece fishing rod that I drove around trying to catch trout in NNJ's many streams and rivers. Or I would ride along the beautiful palisades. There are some really good mountain biking and downhill bike park. Popular camping locations are closer etc. I left because my family and friends were in Long Island. And I also think boating is better in Long Island. Love surfing here too.

You're next to Paterson and i've been told to stay away from there. But I went to La Chiflada and I never felt uncomfortable there .. the only gringo in a colombian club haha it was a good crazy time. Probably there are some great latin restaurants in Paterson that you can try. Definitely try "Noches de Colombia". Also you should check out the palisades, hoboken, harriman state park, lake hopatcong, lake george. Also you can launch your boat in the palisades and go around manhattan then stop for dinner at Surf City in Jersey City. Lmk if you want to know more, I can try to think of other things lol good luck with your move!
This is great info, thank you. We are actually very excited about the move, believe it or not. My wife and her entire family is originally from Boston, they are all Italian, so they will be feeling right at home here (we are in North Caldwell), LOL. I used to live in Boston for almost 10 years and I love everything about the gritty Northern New Jersey I've seen so far. I just think it's awesome, feels real and alive, and of course I love being close to big water. But, I already checked pretty much everything around here as far as boating access, Hopatcong, the Hudson, the Palisades and West Point are awesome.
And gosh, I'm gonna probably dunk in Passaic as well up from Paterson just for the heck of it, it reminds me of my St. Louis go to river, the Meramec - I'll probably be the first ever person to do that not in an aluminum jon boat, LOL. I'll be sure to post pics! lol
I'm very curious about boating upper Delaware, if anyone has any tips, and also the Susquehanna river, which look spectacular from the highway (I-80), I definitely want to explore those.
This is gonna be fun!

--

Liftr

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Noooo!

That's too funny. lol.
lololol.

--
Small world. My best friend is from there. It used to be the city of East Patterson. He says they chose the name so they wouldn’t have to change the logo on City vehicles!:cool:

FYI, that is right under the flight pattern for airliners landing to the South at Newark. Keep that in mind when house shopping.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Small world. My best friend is from there. It used to be the city of East Patterson. He says they chose the name so they wouldn’t have to change the logo on City vehicles!:cool:

FYI, that is right under the flight pattern for airliners landing to the South at Newark. Keep that in mind when house shopping.
I kind of figured and we looked in the Caldwells, got lucky I guess we found something nice just before covid hit hard and everything stopped here.

--

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
This is great info, thank you. We are actually very excited about the move, believe it or not. My wife and her entire family is originally from Boston, they are all Italian, so they will be feeling right at home here (we are in North Caldwell), LOL. I used to live in Boston for almost 10 years and I love everything about the gritty Northern New Jersey I've seen so far. I just think it's awesome, feels real and alive, and of course I love being close to big water. But, I already checked pretty much everything around here as far as boating access, Hopatcong, the Hudson, the Palisades and West Point are awesome.
And gosh, I'm gonna probably dunk in Passaic as well up from Paterson just for the heck of it, it reminds me of my St. Louis go to river, the Meramec - I'll probably be the first ever person to do that not in an aluminum jon boat, LOL. I'll be sure to post pics! lol
I'm very curious about boating upper Delaware, if anyone has any tips, and also the Susquehanna river, which look spectacular from the highway (I-80), I definitely want to explore those.
This is gonna be fun!

--
I've been trying to think of why NNJ feels so different and I think I got it.

In most parts of the country you can drive for a hundred miles and everything looks the same. NNJ is cool because the neighborhoods are so close to each other, but they have their own distinct personality. Here's a short story: I work in midtown manhattan and last summer I went with my friend to stay at his house in Dumont NJ because we were going to meet some women there. The next day I took a different bus that goes through Hudson county and along Boulevard east. I was entertained looking out the window at all the diverse neighborhoods it goes through. Different architecture, people, tax brackets, etc etc. You know when you've crossed into a new town. I think that's the beauty of NNJ that you just can't find in other states (basically all of Florida is the same). On top of all that, in NNJ you're never too far from outdoors things and the diversity allows you to find just about any cuisine. And if you can't find it there, then you can find it here in NYC. I really wouldn't be able to live somewhere that doesn't have a wide variety of international cuisines and markets because I love food and cooking.

I've heard that the upper delaware isn't anything special and it's difficult to boat there. But the source is questionable..

I really liked the sauerbraten here, but i'm not sure if its because the beers are strong.

A great waterfront park to walk and get food. They have good 5k's here if you're into that

This park was down the street from my old home. It's the BEST view of manhattan.

Make sure you go a long hudson drive for a scenic drive or bike ride.

jtwrace

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
PWC
Noooo!

That's too funny. lol.
lololol.

--
I lived in Elmwood Park for about 9 months and couldn't get out of there quick enough. Yuck.

jtwrace

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
PWC
Inconclusive. Care to explain?
I grew up in Paramus (she in Mountain Lakes) and just found EP to not fit into our newlywed lifestyle. Just never felt safe there either. We were young and fortunately were able to save money so we could move into Bergen County which we did.

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I grew up in Paramus (she in Mountain Lakes) and just found EP to not fit into our newlywed lifestyle. Just never felt safe there either. We were young and fortunately were able to save money so we could move into Bergen County which we did.
Elmwood park is in bergen county. I always thought that NNJ was terrible for single people lol it seemed that everyone there was already married.

jtwrace

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
PWC
Elmwood park is in bergen county. I always thought that NNJ was terrible for single people lol it seemed that everyone there was already married.
Eh, it's nearly in Passaic County

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I lived in Elmwood Park for about 9 months and couldn't get out of there quick enough. Yuck.
Not sure I would want to live there, but it'll be fine for short-ish commute. I guess we were lucky and found a house in the Caldwells.
Almost next door to Tony Soprano's, lol.

--

jtwrace

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
PWC
You will enjoy the food and NYC once this madness ends...there is SO much to do there. Greenwood Lake is quite nice too albeit small. Depending on what you're going there for it could be good; just not for me!

Lowstar

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Here’s my two cents, Florida is much overrated it’s hot it’s muggy driving your boat and Jetske‘s all year long cost way too much money and the amount of money you spend on sun screen and the higher risk of skin cancer it’s just not worth it. You don’t want to move down here trust me you’ll hate it. Gotta run, the wife and I are going on a short Easter Day motorcycle ride. Damm weather.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Here’s my two cents, Florida is much overrated it’s hot it’s muggy driving your boat and Jetske‘s all year long cost way too much money and the amount of money you spend on sun screen and the higher risk of skin cancer it’s just not worth it. You don’t want to move down here trust me you’ll hate it. Gotta run, the wife and I are going on a short Easter Day motorcycle ride. Damm weather.
I tried that with EVs cause we/I need everyone to buy gas and keep the roads in good condition so I can fly down them. :winkingthumbsup"