• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

MR1 low oil pressure

cybuch

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well, the SBT motor broke, took the boat out today to see if my water leak is solved and it sounds like I have a piston slapping. Call to SBT tomorrow. Goo news is water leak is solved, bad news is we are going to lake powell on wednesday. Guess I am pulling the motor out of my waverunner and putting it in my boat.

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Dang! That sucks. On the plus side, you are really becoming an expert and knew something was up. On the bad side, you are really becoming an expert. Hope the swap goes smoothly!

cybuch

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Seadeals Thanks! I plan to get it all done tomorrow.

cybuch

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Motor swap is done and she runs!

cybuch

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@buckbuck Here is a picture of my oil pressure setup

Attachments

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
You should create a time lapse video of your motor pulling. Sounds like you have a lot of experience.

cybuch

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Got the motor back from SBT again (3rd motor), installed it and this time the oil is not aerating, the pressure is lower than I would like but it is stable. Fingers crossed it holds up. I still have till June for the warranty, so I plan on running the piss out of it till then.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You go. Good luck! Run it like you stole it.

cybuch

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well, that didn't last. I finally gave up on SBT and bought a FXHO jetski (58 hours) to pull a good Yamaha brand motor from, installing it now. We are going to sell the boat, since we just bought a Baja boat. We no longer do the water sports and want to go fast!

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Well, that didn't last. I finally gave up on SBT and bought a FXHO jetski (58 hours) to pull a good Yamaha brand motor from, installing it now. We are going to sell the boat, since we just bought a Baja boat. We no longer do the water sports and want to go fast!
What about your flyboarding business?

84rzv500r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have mechanical gauges on the MR-1's in my 2004 AR210 and I get 15-18 PSI cold at idle, 55-58 PSI hot WOT, 38-40PSI hot at 7000 cruise and 8-10 PSI hot at 1800 idle... Engines have almost 30 hours on them since new... I ran 10W-40 for the first 2 hours then dumped the oil and cut the filters and it was clean, then switched to 20-50 VR-1... I did install new MR-1 HO pumps on the new engines.. all seems fine.. I run the boat nearly everyday...

mech gauge installation

Last edited:

cybuch

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What about your flyboarding business?
We haven't done much since the pandemic hit, going to sell it with the boat.

cybuch

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have mechanical gauges on the MR-1's in my 2004 AR210 and I get 15-18 PSI cold at idle, 55-58 PSI hot WOT, 38-40PSI hot at 7000 cruise and 8-10 PSI hot at 1800 idle... Engines have almost 30 hours on them since new... I ran 10W-40 for the first 2 hours then dumped the oil and cut the filters and it was clean, then switched to 20-50 VR-1... I did install new MR-1 HO pumps on the new engines.. all seems fine.. I run the boat nearly everyday...

mech gauge installation
I'm glad yours is working out for you. I just couldn't get a good motor from SBT.

84rzv500r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
were they remans or "new" aftermarket... I looked high and low for good clean OEM motors and I just bit the bullet and crossed my fingers... i had good luck with SBT reman 1200's bout 300 hours is all the two strokes would do maybe a little better I were to baby them... If I have to do it again ill just bite the bulled and get two skis OEM 1.8 SVHO's pumps and all... I have also had good luck with and SBT 155 4-tec I bought the boat for price of the engine and it had 2 hours on it..

cybuch

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
were they remans or "new" aftermarket... I looked high and low for good clean OEM motors and I just bit the bullet and crossed my fingers... i had good luck with SBT reman 1200's bout 300 hours is all the two strokes would do maybe a little better I were to baby them... If I have to do it again ill just bite the bulled and get two skis OEM 1.8 SVHO's pumps and all... I have also had good luck with and SBT 155 4-tec I bought the boat for price of the engine and it had 2 hours on it..
It was a brand new SBT, not referb. If they were referb, I think it would have been much better. I don't think their self manufactured blocks are in spec. That's why I am just putting the wave runner motor in and calling it a day.

wajetter

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
, then switched to 20-50 VR-1... I did install new MR-1 HO pumps on the new engines.. all seems fine.. I run the boat nearly everyday...

mech gauge installation
Hi @84rzv500r
Just curious, why did you start using 20w-50 instead of 10w-40.
Also, did you consider full synthetic? 20-50 VR-1is conventional

84rzv500r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
50 years of wrenchin and racin motorcycles (many 5 valve yamaha Genesis engines) AMA, AMA CCS, WERA, GP PRO, FUSA... cheap breakin 10W-40 dino oil with zinc, then 500 miles with VR1 (in the boat I think i ran 35 hours at the first change and then the final change is at 100hrs) then in the bikes i would switch to 15W-50 Mobil1 (given the climate) and in the Jet boat boat the plan is to switch to 25W-50 full synthetic at 100 hours... we would generally pick up 500 rpm on top in the bikes on the dyno and the track switching to full synthetic. Allowing the engine thermal cycles and the parts inside to get used to themselves before switching to full synthetic is the way I like to do it... I also don't like full synthetic for engines that don't get used regularly (ask mobil why they got out of the piston engine General Aviation synthetic oil business) IMHO PS the MR-1 only hodes about 5lbs of oil pressure at idle in 90+ degree ocean water with 10W-40, with 20W-50 thats more like 10lb at idle.. I ain't running no 71 series detroit here LOL (tho in some ways I wish I was running a pair of 6V-53TA's in my Jet boat)

Brad_Ct

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Looks like I may experiencing the same issue with a remaned SBT engine. Installed it a few months ago and ran it for 3 hours with no issues and it’s been sitting since then. Started the boat up yesterday and got a low oil pressure light, shut it down and cleared the alarm then restarted it and no alarm.