• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

My Boat damaged by drunk teenagers

You know, there are only so many boat insurance companies out there. Call a few of the popular ones. You have the boater's information. Try to file a claim. Just tell them you don't have the policy number and they will look it up by name or by the boat info. Bet you try 4 of them and get a hit. Then just let their insurance pay.
We called the rental company they used, they were on 2 rental pontoons, they got mad that we even called them about it! They probably get called a lot around there for stupid crap their renters do.

You know, there are only so many boat insurance companies out there. Call a few of the popular ones. You have the boater's information. Try to file a claim. Just tell them you don't have the policy number and they will look it up by name or by the boat info. Bet you try 4 of them and get a hit. Then just let their insurance pay.
They were on a rental boat and the rental boats insurance doesn't cover what the people do, only what the boat does.

All of that is true (in fact, even more true is that the insurance will not cover intentional conduct--which this certainly was). However, you will be surprised how much info you can glean from making a claim, even if it is ultimately denied...

Why not file a claim with your own insurance company and let them deal with the other party if they want?

Will...You've met me, I'm not a small dude....I've since shaved my head and grown a full beard. Need me to pay a visit to represent you? Respectfully of course? LOL.

Seriously, Not sure if you know about these sites that you can use to get info on folks. Start at the clerk of courts for any legal actions that have had in the past and public records search will even show you the mortgage they have. You can even see every traffic ticket they received. Also search the property appraisers site if you want any info on property they own.

http://baycoclerk.com/public-records/official-record-search/

http://baycoclerk.com/public-records/

http://www.baypa.net/search.html

It's amazing what you can find out about someone...completely free.

I'll be happy to do any running around you need for this locally. I know it's gotta be a bear with you out of town now.

I did make a report when it happened, but it was an over the phone report, LEO didn't come to the scene, the lady gave me her driver's licenses so I could take a photo of it. It's her information that is on the report, she should pay me then try to get the kid/parents pay her back.

She wasn't drinking, earlier before it all happened some of the kids were trying to get her to drink but she wouldn't, we weren't mingling with them, they just happened to be closer to us when I over heard that going on.

I just want them to pay, even if I spend more on court fees or whatever, I just don't want them to get away with it without paying for what they caused.

They have seen the damage, I sent them photos, they were all around the boat when I pointed it out to them and even let the one respectful young man get in my boat to take photos of it with the liquor splattered all over the window and head compartment door.
The kid admitted to throwing it, he is just a spoiled punk, and I'm 90% positive he is the one that kept running his mouth after it happened saying "I can't believe you are worried about that little dent" and stuff like that. Later, after they left my wife's friend that was with us told me he was saying "I'll give that guy a dent to be concerned about" and crap like that...I'm glad I didn't hear him say that at the time.

My wife sent him screen shots of the estimates again last night when he said $800 was too much, he then said those were for the whole windshield so had to explain you can't just buy the one piece, and he is more than welcome to take the boat info and photos to get his own estimates.

OK, now I understand better. I think you've got a better case with the info you have. I'd go file now while it's fresh in your witnesses minds. It might take a while to go before a judge.
If he admitted throwing it in front of witnesses I think you stand a good chance of prevailing.

Sure would be nice if people would just own up to their mistakes and fix their damages without having to resort to a lawsuit.

Glad you, your family and friends weren't hit by that bottle. Best of luck to you with the resolution. :cool:

Will...You've met me, I'm not a small dude....I've since shaved my head and grown a full beard. Need me to pay a visit to represent you? Respectfully of course? LOL.

Seriously, Not sure if you know about these sites that you can use to get info on folks. Start at the clerk of courts for any legal actions that have had in the past and public records search will even show you the mortgage they have. You can even see every traffic ticket they received. Also search the property appraisers site if you want any info on property they own.

http://baycoclerk.com/public-records/official-record-search/

http://baycoclerk.com/public-records/

http://www.baypa.net/search.html

It's amazing what you can find out about someone...completely free.

I'll be happy to do any running around you need for this locally. I know it's gotta be a bear with you out of town now.
Thanks Ken!

I'll do some searching on those tonight.

@Ronnie I am calling my insurance today to see if they will do anything besides charge me a deductible and pay for repairs. Might as well claim it on insurance, everything else I own has been claimed on insurance in this last month!

I would wait to call your insurance. Use insurance as a last resort -- you will end up paying for this repair in higher insurance rates.

Not to high jack the thread but I think the insurance route is the easiest and quickest way to go on this, even if it is your own.

I made two big claims over the last 10 years with boatus and if my annual premiums went up because of them I wouldn't know it. After paying me almost $20k on one claim and $2500 on another, recently, my annual premium has only increased $100 over the last 10 years and that may be because the boat insured is worth more.

One think worth mentioning is that on the smaller $2500 repair claim for a Pwc the payout on the parts was reduced 10% for every year it was old. The ski was already 6 years old so I came had to pay the difference to get the ski repaired. My point being, review your policy before you call your insurance company.

For me it's not just about repairing the damage, I can do it myself for $750, that's not the reason I want them to pay. I want them to own up to what they did and I want the lady to stand by her word and pay for the damages. If that money has to go to court fees and stuff I'm ok with that. I won't call my insurance just to have them get the boat fixed, I want them to go after their insurance and make them pay.

The kid is 18-19 years old, found out his name today, he sent my wife a text today telling her "if you want to sue me go ahead!" Like its a freaking joke to him, he doesn't give a crap about what he did. But now I know who his mother is and after finally talking to the lady today I'm pretty sure they are trying to hide it from her.
The next couple days will be interesting in this little saga.

Sadly, if he is over 18 his mother is not relevant.

Sadly, if he is over 18 his mother is not relevant.
Never underestimate the power of a parent that is paying for an 18 year old in some way. I bet she pays his phone, vehicle, housing, food...She has power.

@Wayloncle , I understand . You want to teach him a lesson but at what monetary, time and emotional costs? I believe in fighting the good fight but only if the outcome is worth the expense.

From what I've read so far, this kid is not likely to have a change of heart, admit to his wrong doing and pay for the damages he caused. id bet a judgement against him wouldn't teach him much at all in that his parents may pay it or he may just blow it off. If he is a teenager living at home he is probably broke so it could take years to collect on a judgement. Nothing short of a good old fashioned ass kicking is going to teach this guy anything.

the adult chaperone for the day sounds like a flaker. You have her oral promise to pay for the damage but nothing in writing signed by her. It has been a long time since I've remembered and forgotten all of the elements of the "statute of frauds" which sets out what agreements must in writing and signed by the party to be charged to be enforceable but I'm pretty sure you are going to need a written agreement signed by the chaperone to go after her on her promise successfully.

I'm not trying to start an argument as I feel empathy for you. If you get your insurer involved (treat this like a hit and run claim only this time you got to meet the asshole) you make this their problem and they usually get to decide how / if to move forward against this guy but again IMHO it's the easiest and quickest (possibly the cheapest) way to resolve this and move on.

All of the above aside, here is another possible alternative course of action. Years ago when getting new tires another customer came in dissatisfied with the brake job he paid for. He and the manager went back and forth for a few minutes before the customer said something to the effect of, "I'm a fireman so I'm off 4 days out of every 8, if you don't redo the work I will be down here for the next 4 days standing in front of your business in a sandwich board and passing out flyers telling my story about you to everyone who walks in or walks by." The manager agreed to the no cost rework immediately. I thought I read the chaperone has a business in town and you now have the kids address. Maybe this is not your style and maybe it wouldn't work anyway but it was very effective in the situation I mentioned.

Whatever you decide, I hope it works out for you.

@Wayloncle I'm with you. At this point it's the principle of the matter and I would want to teach that kid a lesson no matter what. I'm sick and tired of punk spoiled brat shithead kids thinking they can do what they want because they know more than other people and can't be held liable because they're kids.

Just to close this out, since I was in Panama City last weekend to get my boat, I called the lady and of course she didn't answer (she never does) so I sent her a text saying I haven't heard from her like she promised I would two weeks ago, I let her know I was in the area and could stop by and talk to her if possible. She replied a couple hours later with "who is this?" I thought "oh here we go, she's going to act like she doesn't know me" I just sent my name back. She said she sent me a check on Tuesday to cover it all.
I was skeptical, but when I got home it was in my mailbox!

So glad this is over with, a big part of the gladness is I don't have to hear my wife....."talk"....about it any more!

Glad to hear she stepped up. To be honest, I am shocked.

I'm shocked too. I'd be going right to her bank to see if the check clears!!

I would go to the local branch of her bank and cash it right there!

I'm shocked too. I'd be going right to her bank to see if the check clears!!
Done. I mobile cashed it as soon as I opened it, it was a certified money order so I am thinking it's good.

Back