• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

My Boat damaged by drunk teenagers

It's about time you had something go your way! Glad to hear this.

Im happy to hear this was resolved. It was a shitty situation, and even though its paid for... Im sure there's a ton of anxiety, anger, and frustration you had to deal with while waiting. Thats all too bad, but like you said, now its over and your wife will let it rest.

I'm glad it all worked out for you, especially if your wife will now let it go. Mine is not that forgiving. I'm still hearing about a blonde hair she found in my bed when we were dating almost 20 years ago.

Last edited:
Ah, another happy ending! Ain't this board great?

What? We didn't fix this one? Oh, well. I am sure we will solve the next problem.

Congratulations!

Ah, another happy ending! Ain't this board great?

What? We didn't fix this one? Oh, well. I am sure we will solve the next problem.

Congratulations!

I'm pretty sure it was the fear of a noodle beat down that got her to pay. That's the story for sure!! Chalk another one up for the noodle mods!!

Wow, great to hear that she stepped up and paid up. Shocker!!!

Wow!! A great ending as you exit Florida. Time for a fresh start in Texas:winkingthumbsup"

Long process but maybe she did the right thing in the end.

Glad to hear this has come to some resolution. I have a similar story with my son and his car. A sweet, little, old lady backed out of her driveway and hit his 2001 Mercury Sable. His car is in pretty good shape but the area she hit (driver side fender) was already scratched up. She barely dented it. You would not even know if I don't point it out. She did break the reflector. I met with the couple and they told me to get an estimate and they will pay to fix it. My wife and son went to the local Crash 1 place and got an estimate over $1000. Of course they wanted to do a lot more than I think is necessary. I told my wife that I am only going to purchase the $25 reflector, replace it myself and have them reimburse the reflector. I just don't feel right giving them that kind of estimate for a tiny "invisible" dent and a broken reflector on a 14 year old car. While she does not want to charge them according to the estimate either, she wants to keep shopping for lower estimates. I told her I don't even want to do that. She was not happy with me, but has since dropped the discussion.

If my situation would have been an honest accident I would have a different attitude toward it, if someone's boat had drifted into mine and caused a scratch, I wouldn't try to go after them for a full professional repair and such, I'd just fix it on my own and enjoy life.

But since mine was caused by a complete lack of responsibility, on several levels, I wasn't going to let it go.
I probably could have pushed more and tried to get more $$ out of them but I agreed to accept the lowest estimate because I can do it myself for that much. The highest estimate was about $1400, lowest was $750.

I don't want anyone to think I was trying to make money off of this situation.

If my situation would have been an honest accident I would have a different attitude toward it, if someone's boat had drifted into mine and caused a scratch, I wouldn't try to go after them for a full professional repair and such, I'd just fix it on my own and enjoy life.

But since mine was caused by a complete lack of responsibility, on several levels, I wasn't going to let it go.
I probably could have pushed more and tried to get more $$ out of them but I agreed to accept the lowest estimate because I can do it myself for that much. The highest estimate was about $1400, lowest was $750.

I don't want anyone to think I was trying to make money off of this situation.
Not at all. I think I would have pushed for top dollar because of their attitude. My son's situation is different. The "invisible" dent fit right into the character of the 14 year old vehicle. Also, You have a very tangible dent on a very well maintained boat that was damaged by a bunch of jerks that were in the care of an irresponsible lady. Your entire situation could have been avoided if they were not negligent.

So glad I'm an attorney. Just file suit. Get the court date. Get service on the defendant. No bullshitting around. Then watch the scrambling which will occur with that 18 year old - adult - punk; and it doesn't cost me a cent. Clearly, we'd all be pissed if this damage happened to our baby. In the scheme of things, however, it more about principle here and I know we all "get" this. Just watch the f out if you get me (or one of my close friends) worked up over principle. Hell hath no fury like me unleashed over a principle.....I could write a book over the fun I've had with this over the years!

Happy it worked out. She probably knew it was better to pay up then to deal with the consequences if this went to court and parents who did not know she supplied alcohol.

Glad it worked out and I'm surprised she actually paid up.

We have LOTS of rental boats out on Tahoe and they are a scary lot in general. In that instance I would have used the VHF and hailed the county sheriff over on the spot. They are ALWAYS willing to stop by and chat-up a boat-full of drunks...and who better to be a witness that a county sheriff or coast guard who's on patrol in the area?

Back