• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

my impeller / bearing replacement

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I thought I'd document this and share my trials with a new thread instead of cluttering up Bruce's instructions in the FAQ,
https://jetboaters.net/threads/changing-yamaha-jet-boat-pump-duct-housing-bearings-and-switching-to-oil-bath-lubrication.10155/page-3

My impellers have been beat up for years but I never had much performance loss, top speed about 45mph and no noticeable torque issues on take off,

my pumps do seem a little noisy and not knowing the boats original owner and it's 1.5 yrs use before I got it I thought it best to replace the bearings as preventative maintenance after 11 years.

All supplies were ordered per Bruce's post plus my new impellers.

I took the shafts/impellers out today, it really only does take 20 minutes (it's the second time I've done it)
I have the cones off (one cone seemed to contain about a teaspoon of water) and soaking the shaft/impeller in PB blaster, with the holiday tomorrow I'll probably spray it down again tomorrow and let it sit another day before attempting to remove them. pictures below,

Last edited:

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
20181121_215859.jpg 20181121_215754.jpg 20181121_215745.jpg

The one below had the water in it, the white spot in the cone is just a reflection, it's a hole/pocket in the grease

20181121_215214.jpg 20181121_215208.jpg

Last edited:

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Wow - those bearings look great for 11yo!
Hope the impellers come off w/o issues, you got yourself a big ol vise, right? lol. Fingers crossed.

--

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Wow, what has been chewing on the leading edges of your impellers? And you say you were not having cavitation issues? I hope all goes well, I am glad you are documenting this, I will most likely be taking mine apart in the spring. Subscribed!

Last edited:

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Yikes! Does your boat chew gravel often.
The first time I opened my cones they looked just like that. Since then I have gone to a gear oil / grease bath and have not seen any water mix in. I look forward to seeing how you get those bearings out.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
20181123_154607.jpg
just another day in Dogpatch,

took the impellers to a neighbor with an 110 psi impact driver thinking that was going to be easier than lowering a vehicle tire onto a vice and working a 4ft cheater bar,

no luck, I swear we are turning it correctly, reverse threaded, we talked about it, turned the impeller, imagined water flowing through and have talked ourselves even further into confusion, we ended up trying both ways and never broke free,

do I turn the impeller towards the leading edges or backwards from them?

This was our first attempt, driver was turning to the right,
it appears to opposite of what Bruce posted with Rana holding the wrench,

@swatski @boudin

Last edited:

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
upload_2018-11-23_17-40-51.png
Your impeller wrench will be pushing down in this pic
EDIT: on the front side! Duh.
You need the spline tool - to hold that end of the splined shaft in a LARGE vice, and a really big cheater bar. Keep in mind this is a left handed thread, you will be pushing down on an impeller wrench while standing in front of a set up like this:

It was @CrankyGypsy who invented the "method" of holding a vice with a Jeep.
Ill try to find the tool part #.

https://jetboaters.net/threads/ar190-impeller.13972/#post-241922

--

Last edited:

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Did you consult the service manual? I recall it being helpful when I did it years ago.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
View attachment 85348
just another day in Dogpatch,

took the impellers to a neighbor with an 110 psi impact driver thinking that was going to be easier than lowering a vehicle tire onto a vice and working a 4ft cheater bar,

no luck, I swear we are turning it correctly, reverse threaded, we talked about it, turned the impeller, imagined water flowing through and have talked ourselves even further into confusion, we ended up trying both ways and never broke free,

do I turn the impeller towards the leading edges or backwards from them?

This was our first attempt, driver was turning to the right,
it appears to opposite of what Bruce posted with Rana holding the wrench,

@swatski @boudin
FWIW my go to cheater bar for this job is over 6ft.

A big vise helps... I no longer use the one in the pic above as I ripped it off of the stand and almost damaged the garage wall framing...
(One time with a solas impeller... my marina has a beast of a vise that I can use instead)

Some like to use torch , I never had.

Last edited:

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just looking for assurance as I'm about to start heating this up and use my 5ft cheater and propane torch

In The picture above red arrow for direction is correct? I think it is but contrary to what I understood Bruce to say

Last edited:

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just looking for assurance as I'm about to start hearing this up and use my 5ft cheater

The picture and 93rd arrow for direction are correct? I think it is but contrary to what I understood Bruce to say
To get the impeller OFF:
upload_2018-11-25_12-49-43.png

--

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thank you and as disappointed as I am I didn't get to use my torch I'm happy to report a successful removal with a 6ft cheater bar and pipe wrench. (my box wrench wouldn't fit inside the pipe)

I'm taking it to a friend with a press to do the bearings next week

20181125_124802.jpg

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thank you and as disappointed as I am I didn't get to use my torch I'm happy to report a successful removal with a 6ft cheater bar and pipe wrench. (my box wrench wouldn't fit inside the pipe)

I'm taking it to a friend with a press to do the bearings next week

View attachment 85391
AWESOME!!!!
What a clever setup, man. This should be an instant FAQ entry! Wish I thought of that, before I ruined a vise stand and almost took the garage wall down with it, lolol.

That "ping" sound when it breaks is priceless, isn't it?

--

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Credit goes to @DCB-270

He posted it on another thread
It's what this place is all about

Dwrat

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Nice job.
I needed up breaking my vise at home and had to had it to work where I have a much bigger vice.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The new bearings/impellers are on, I had a mechanic friend with a bearing press do it at his shop so it was pretty easy work, only questionable item was in Ferchi's post it mentioned having the bearing at .91 inches, we weren't really sure where that measurement was from, back together though, seems ok and maybe back on the boat and a water test in the next few weeks

20190107_171526.jpg

The old bearings still on the shaft

20190107_104918.jpg

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Your old bearings appear to have been in much worse condition than mine were. I am glad you changed them.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
pumps installed on the boat this evening, I started it up hoping to hear sweet, soft purr but still the grumbly/gravely sound. A guy can dream can't he ?

Was hoping to water test tomorrow or Friday since it's in the high 60's but appointments and weather may put it off for a few weeks,