• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

My new (to me) Yamaha PWC story

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Background:
I had two 2006 FX Cruisers until about three years ago when my 140 hp Cruiser died (bad ecu). At the time I replaced it with a 1996 Waveblaster 2 that my son and I rebuilt together. The Waveblaster has been fun at less than half the weight and with about half the power of my remaining FX 160 it is very quick and turns sharply but as a two stroke with a 10 gallon tank it’s range is very limited compared to FX, a four stroke with an 18 gallon fuel tank. This limits my family’s use of both waverunners to short cruises. My wife and son wanted something bigger with better fuel economy so I started looking for something used (with a $6k purchase budget new and bigger was out of the question considering that a low end Seadoo spark with an MSRP of $5k sells for over $6k after fees and taxes). my son wanted something we could work on together but not do to much wrenching to get on or stay on the water.

I considered a few used Seadoo’s but I couldn’t get over the bad reputation of their early four strokes nor was I willing to overlook my mechanics recommendation to stay away from them. At any given time he has more, sometimes many more, Seadoo pwcs in his shop for repair than he does any other brand. I’m not brand loyal but like that I am familiar with Yamaha waverunners which are generally known to be reliable so the search began. I had narrowed down my choices to a 2010 FZR (180ish hp) with 152 hours for $6k and a 2014 VX (110 hp) with 750 hours (rental unit) for $3k. The seller of the FZR never got back to me and I was scheduled to see the VX today (12/29/17) when i saw an ad for a 2003 fx 140 with 257 hours near me yesterday morning. I checked it out last night, and closed the deal for it after starting it on its trailer and doing a compression check which came back at 165 for each cylinder.

If you are looking for a used pwc and hadn’t looked before be aware that there are a lot junk dealers, dreamers and scammers out there. For example, guys trying to sell disassembled skis as easy to get back on the water, or selling 11 year old skis for the same price they originally sold for as well as the usual I’m in the military / live out of state and will give you a good deal if you pay for shipping or I don’t have title or the keyed lanyard (for some Seadoos) so the low price reflects this and covers the cost and inconvenience of the new owner getting these things (sounds like a stolen ski to me). if a deal seems to good to be true it probably is but I check most of them out anyway because some are real and I’ve benefited from them in the past (e.g. two six year old Kawasaki 750s (with seats not the stand up versions) and a trailer for $2k, or a five year old Seadoo spx in mint condition for $1,500. My general guidelines are to walk away if I can’t test drive it or start it and do a compression check on it while it’s on it’s trailer.

Here are a few pics of my new (to me) waverunner and the trailer that comes with it, th trailer has new but small tires and a new trailer jack, supposedly all the lights work as well. As for the ski, The seat cover and mats are after market, not the colors I would have chosen but things I can live with for now. The bilge pump works (i found this out after I started it in the seller’s garage) and the multi function display works although the screen protector needs to be replaced. The battery is also new. There are no visible holes that should not be there in the hull and the impeller has a few dings on the leading edges but both look good overall especially for a soon to be 15 year old ski. The oil is at the right level and is clean. I may still take it in to the ski clinic to have it checked but given the above I don’t think there is anything wrong with it and there isn’t much I would do to make it my family’s new baby (I’m sticking with the fx160 because the 20 additional hp and cruiser seat make a big difference in performance and comfort).

My current list of to dos is replace the display cover/screen, put a keel gaurd on it, install an on board charger maintainer as well as an agm battery, peel the stock decals (first that are severely damaged/scratched) and possibly replace them all with a new stock set or custom set (if I can remember who I bought them from before and they are still in business). If my family wants to I will get a new seat cover and mats for it as well. Not sure if I can get all this done and refurbish my boat by Memorial Day but I am looking forward to trying and plan to post on the progress of each.
IMG_0097.JPG IMG_0099.JPG CA61A321-7F43-4D4A-9850-FBA37961C722.png

Last edited:

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Great! Another PWC rebuild I can follow. Congratulations

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I ended up buying a different fx 140, a 2004 model with 141.6 hours on it but clearly in better cosmetic condition than the 2003 I referenced earlier. This one came from a local mechanic who bought it from the original owner a year ago and determined it’s just not his thing.

The seat, mats and most of the decals are in good condition so don’t need to be replaced anytime soon. I did a compression check on it before I purchased it and it came back between 155 and 160 on all cylinders. All functions of the multi function gauge are working as is the trim and reverse. The claim is that it’s never been in salt water or beached and the looks of the keel / bottom of the hull support the latter.

Here are some pics of it alone and next to my 2006 fxho (160 hp) cruiser. This was a purchase trade deal so the seller got a 1996 Waveblaster II in addition to cash. Each trailer was reconfigured to take different skis at the time of the sale which means it took about 2 hours to close the deal and transfer the skis to each other. Lots of heavy lifting involved but worth it.

I did the usual checks (e.g. oil level/smell, impeller for excessive damage) before “moving in”. It has a new agm battery which I charged overnight and because I don’t have the patience to wait until the next boating season to check it out, I took to it to the water yesterday (12/31/17) and determined it’s a keeper although part of me regrets not taking a chance on a higher powered and sometimes newer supercharged seadoo (gtx/exp/txt) but reliability wins out over performance more often as I get older since within reason what ever break I have to fix. The ski runs great that is, it starts easy and accelerates smoothly, reverse works as it should and so does the trim. So far no issues identified. It’s no fxho but it makes I nice upgrade to the fleet.

My list of mods so far:
Keel gaurd,
Boarding ladder,
Aftermarket air filter (the original has some oil spots on it),
Remove the flame arrestor mesh to creat duo velocity stacks,
Go pro mount, maybe some new CF decals,
Two new Yamaha cover (for trailering, the after market I have for the cruiser balloons out whereas the Yamaha cover does on the fx does not).

Differences between the two skis (i.e., the ‘06 FX cruiser v. The ‘04 FX) aside from having 20 less hp which makes a 5 to 8 mph difference in to spee but a more noticeable diffence in acceleration, the ‘04 has a single multi function display, no cup holder or water tight mini compartment to hold keys, wallet, etc. the drain plugs are located at the sides of the reverse bucket not on the stern, the speed pick up wheel is at the rear of the ride plate not at the front and it looks smaller when next to the fxho. I could be the seat but it doesn’t have as much of a face since the rear view mirrors are not integrated into the hull they are on the fxho.

Given all of the above I don’t think I will be doing much to this ski it I will post mods to it as they are completed.
AC1428AA-1C55-46EE-A6E7-162B08FF6F96.jpeg B7DC85A3-73B3-4B2F-B2FE-CBAC635EEE94.jpeg C0470B83-BBA5-47B4-9268-2152D207A341.jpeg C14CA7C3-A3EB-4CDC-AC08-999B5E2DBE61.jpeg
385AA610-7478-4A0C-BA9F-6CD6E52DF87F.jpeg

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Looks great @Ronnie !

If you don't mind, what'd you settle on as the total price for your new ride? Did you end up at 6k, like you were originally looking (if you hadn't traded your older ski with it)? I was half-heartedly looking this past summer, but had a limit closer to 3-4k and had a hard time finding 4strokes in that range.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Cash out was $3k, i got $1k credit on my "trade in" which is $500 short of nada but now i dont have to try and sell it or store it in the name interim so i feel it was a fair deal. Im seeing older fx (i.e., 2002 and 2003 for $4k to $5k), the ho versions go for $500 to $1k more. Performance wise there is a clear difference in this (140 hp) and the ho's (160 hp) performance. Even the ho cant keep up with a seadoo rxt, rxp from the same year for the same price sometimes a little less. I'd hate to buy a lemon and get stuck with a high super charger repair or replacement bill. So i went tried and true yamaha.

Last edited:

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Congrats @Ronnie. I'll be following your thread.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
My first mods were simply to drill a hole in the rear tray to pass the charger / maintainer pig tail to the battery through. I have some inexpensive units ($20) from harbor freight that are stored in the trays and are plugged in whenever the skis are not in use.

The second mod was removal of the stock flame arrestor elements to create my own velocity stacks. I had a set from my previous fx 140 so I wasn’t concerned about damaging anything but the stacks themselves when trying to pull them from the assembly.

Here are some pics of the two mods. The last pic is of the r&d velocity stacks and air filter installed on my fx160 for comparison to what is happening with the fx140.

The next mods will be to replace the stock air filter with a cleanable / reusable version and install a keel gaurd along with iridium spark plugs. 780FDE83-6012-43F7-A84A-5A1E33A0C9D9.jpeg7E98FD13-24B6-4F30-BEC9-68C86714218D.jpeg04ABF7A7-F812-4E2E-9402-16CB8E685FD6.jpeg690E9037-F794-4921-859D-E8EDC621E535.jpegA159130F-DDE6-47C8-A5A2-77CA8DB2397C.jpeg6344CC3D-DFE0-42AA-BEDC-7BA6CCEBC179.jpegABE97D8D-43E7-4B30-95A1-283A4BDDBC90.jpegE790B40E-FDB2-4FF3-AFFC-F738C013AFE4.jpeg08A54D2E-E743-4AEC-B2EC-871E5029C4C9.jpeg

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The r&d air filter (aka power plenum) was delivered today. Big surprise since i just ordered it yesterday and the given notice that it would nit be delivered for about two weeks.

As for the printing on the back, it basically means its an approved flame arrestor (see screen shot). My older r&d air filters say something like USCG approved.

Here is to hoping that the 5' keel gaurd i ordered this morning is delivered tomorrow.

IMG_0372.JPG IMG_0373.JPG IMG_0374.PNG

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Here are a few pics of the stock and aftermarket air filters next to each other.
IMG_0377.JPG IMG_0378.JPG

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Did a little work on it today, just replaced the oil and filter as well as the spark plugs and air filter. Next week I should have the keel gaurd in possession and the boarding step on order.

81E139DF-D5B1-40A3-9DC9-9B66C29B5EC2.jpeg 56FF7E34-6AFF-4A65-8992-3839B3F2B419.jpeg 5D075533-069C-4329-9557-54C6B0AFD005.jpeg F626940C-814E-4840-AB99-84338A812A54.jpeg
IMG_0397.JPG
IMG_0402.JPG

Last edited:

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
My son and i installed the keel gaurd today, he did great.

IMG_0498.JPG IMG_0494.JPG IMG_0498.JPG
Next mod is the boarding step i just ordered.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The boarding step and installation hardware (spacers and screws/nuts and bolts) just came in, pictured here with a keel guard for my fx160 (thanks to Nancy at Megaware/ KeelGuard). I wonder how much fun this will be to install? I haven’t looked closely but it would be great if installation calls for screws from the exterior versus nuts and bolts requiring me to remove obstructions and contort my arm into the rear corners of the ski. It doesn’t matter, my wife and son want it, it’s their ski, so I want it for them. Happy wife (and kid), happy life, right?
82F24546-C107-4018-840A-A53398B136F4.jpeg

@Jgorm , at this point I wish I would have held out a little longer for a used fx160 just so that my two skis would be closer to each other performance wise. However, this fx140 isn’t my primary ride and it’s in great condition for its age, low hours and not a scratch on the keel or bottom until the keel guard was installed so I’m not complaining at all.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Now you just need to add some magic to those skies

Attachments

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My reasoning for another fx140 is to have 4 nearly identical engines. I've already leaned a massive about about their operation. Even though the ho is very similar, potentially being able to swap engines, ecus, parts etc could be an advantage. Hopefully nothing ever breaks and it won't matter!

Last edited:

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Now you just need to add some magic to those skies
I hear you and agree. No pics yet but i alresdy added the cruise control mod you gave me "plans" to/advice on a few years ago.

@Jgorm , i hear you. When i has the sx230ho i was prepared to gut my fx160 if the boated needed the engine.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Yea the Jeff cruise is the only way to go , keep in mind my carpel tunnel is awful and without the cruise I could never drive a ski for any length of time, let alone pull tubes or wake boards while standing on the seat or driving with my feet etc or just cruising across the water standing up driving with no hands at W O T.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Here are pics of the hardware that came with my new to me boarding step. Oem reinforcement brackets with integrated nuts are $20 per side (part numbers 40 and 41 in the last pic). Not sure if I will buy them, galvanized or stainless steel nuts/bolts and oversized washers or fabricate my own brackets yet.

FE05AFA2-93C5-4707-ADA7-2D34A4DA9D51.jpeg 9DD1E370-60BC-4D44-A898-01097C249011.jpeg 2E19A818-1ACB-4EA0-BDAA-A35547D8A995.jpeg06D15706-AA85-48C9-9EAB-49A86D5458BC.png

Last edited:

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other