• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

My review 2016 AR240

Jay Petzold

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would like to see better pics of relocating the floor storage strut bracket

InmyElement

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Thank you for your honest and insightful review!
Went to the boat show yesterday to sit and try out all the 24 models. I've been contemplating Yamaha Boats for many years and I think its time...I've had inboards and outboards all my life. Now its time to finally recognize the inner call for safety, reliability and versatility of the jet and transom layout of the Yamaha. I'm starting to weigh the options and price between the E-series Limited S and AR240. My 2 current choices. In your opinion do you think its worth it for the E-series or are you perfectly happy with the Ar240? I also welcome any other opinions...Thanks Again!

Jackew

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
I'm not with the boat ATM, sorry, but all you need to do is remove the gas strut from the bracket, unscrew the three screws, re-attach about an inch lower then re-attach gas strut. Lightlyflattern the old holes with some fine sand paper and fill with some white silicone sealant.
Done - that was simple -

Britboater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thank you for your honest and insightful review!
Went to the boat show yesterday to sit and try out all the 24 models. I've been contemplating Yamaha Boats for many years and I think its time...I've had inboards and outboards all my life. Now its time to finally recognize the inner call for safety, reliability and versatility of the jet and transom layout of the Yamaha. I'm starting to weigh the options and price between the E-series Limited S and AR240. My 2 current choices. In your opinion do you think its worth it for the E-series or are you perfectly happy with the Ar240? I also welcome any other opinions...Thanks Again!
It's really about price against choice. The extra in $$ for the extras you get with a limited S didn't really stack up to my requirements. I've not tried the E series boats as yet, but believe the throttle's are a dream to operate, and something as simple as push buttons starts, which I think should be standard across the range anyhow, is the only benefit.
I was more inclined to go with the more "sporting" look of the AR's, we all know the graphics make it go quicker :D, and the boat does exactly as it says on the tin!!

OrangeTJ

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The main thing I think I'd really like about the e series is the engine syncing and gps speed control with selectable acceleration ramps. That would actually make it possible for me to get a decent ride on a wakeboard or even a surfboard behind my boat! Hard to say whether that's worth the $, though, since much of the same thing can be accomplished with perfectpass. Factory integration is nice, though.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Britboater Any updates on your EXCELLENT review from few months back? If you don't mind sharing!

--

Britboater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm afraid not @swatski I won't be with the boat again till the fall as I'm out of the country till then.
I will up-date but plan to do this when I reach 50hrs, which isn't far away.

Rob9550

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I share almost all of the same feelings you have for your AR240. One thing that I would like to upgrade is the cheap steering wheel. I had an AR192 and miss that wheel. This one seems cheap and filmsy.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I share almost all of the same feelings you have for your AR240. One thing that I would like to upgrade is the cheap steering wheel. I had an AR192 and miss that wheel. This one seems cheap and filmsy.
Steering wheel, the whole dashboard is... cheap looking, isn't it? I have been really surprised having perused some 240s at the dealership this weekend. Maybe I'm spoiled with my 190 that has over 10k in every mod, LOL, but I honestly am a little lost here...

The real question to you guys is this: would you do it again (if you had a do-over)?

--

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@swatski I think there is always a little regret in any boat purchase. You are currently going through the same thing I'm going through lol do I really want to jump to 15/16 240 the excitement has started to finally where off on me to do so its a cool boat and better then mine in some aspects but the reality is what it adds for me is 6 inches of freeboard and 6 inches of length and the keel running the length of the boat and the more I think about it for me any ways I just do not think its worth it. These items would really only be important to me one week out of the year the other 51 weeks my boat is just fine for all my needs. I would examine the same in your case does your current boat fit your need 90% of the time you use it if so is it really worth spending all that money to upgrade? If it does not hit that 90% mark then maybe its worth examining. For me the 15/16 would be great on the offshore trips but the reality is my current boat can handle it the other boat handles it better but if that is the only reason for my upgrade then I really should be looking at an offshore boat if thats the sole purpose of my upgrade but since I'm not really willing to give up the swim deck and jets then there really isnt any need to get one of those either. I know your like me looking for justification for yourself to upgrade but I really would examine the 90% number and use that as a personal guide as whether its the right move for you. The more I have looked at it my boat hits closer to 95% of my needs and it really wont get much better then that going to a 15/16 240 just a little better one week a year.

Rob9550

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Steering wheel, the whole dashboard is... cheap looking, isn't it? I have been really surprised having perused some 240s at the dealership this weekend. Maybe I'm spoiled with my 190 that has over 10k in every mod, LOL, but I honestly am a little lost here...

The real question to you guys is this: would you do it again (if you had a do-over)?

--
My dash in the 192 was fine for me, that was my first boat so I don't really have anything to compare it to.

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

Just1more

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I have TV XL fins one my ar240 2015. Also moved up from an ar190. Had to get fins on the 190 or I was going to return the thing just because of the spinning it would do when you would stop. When we got the 240 just put fins on it as soon as I brought it home. After breaking two steering cables I'm wondering if I should remove the fins. Were you happy driving it on just the new keel fun? I did purchase the the steel rod from Cobra Fins making the system all one working component.

luckie_529

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My steering cable has broke twice on me too. I do not have extra fins on just bone stock. My dealer said that they had another boat in with a broken one too. My glove box door popped open and broke last week.. Not a cheap fix. I have about 75 hours the boat and pretty happy with it. Going to try some dyamat to get rid of the hull vibration noise.

Just1more

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
My steering cable has broke twice on me too. I do not have extra fins on just bone stock. My dealer said that they had another boat in with a broken one too. My glove box door popped open and broke last week.. Not a cheap fix. I have about 75 hours the boat and pretty happy with it. Going to try some dyamat to get rid of the hull vibration noise.
We are still waiting for the steering cable to come in. I had a welding shop repair the one cable.

luckie_529

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
as of 3 weeks ago there were 5 cables in GA and 4 in OH at warehouses.. I got the back order message to and had mine tig welded. New cables are installed now. dumb design.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
as of 3 weeks ago there were 5 cables in GA and 4 in OH at warehouses.. I got the back order message to and had mine tig welded. New cables are installed now. dumb design.
This is still the best case for adding the magnum A K steering with the fangs the only other issue I can see is the factory rudder being in the center of the boat and if it strikes the ground it has to deliver the shock to the steering nozzles so having two tie rods to carry that should help and having the fangs for reduced steering stresses at speed should also help.

mraz72

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
So the boat handling the chop was noticeably better? that is one of the main reasons I am thinking of upgrading. When its busy where I boat, the wakes make it seem like 2-3' chop and the 192 slams around.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You better at least triple up on dynamat.
I did this extensively in my 190, it worked a little bit but nowhere near as good as in a car.

If you think about it - it is the principle of mass loading. And the problem with mass loading is... Mass loading.

The fiberglass or FRP is what - ten times thicker and heavier than sheet metal?

Fozzy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I have TV XL fins one my ar240 2015. Also moved up from an ar190. Had to get fins on the 190 or I was going to return the thing just because of the spinning it would do when you would stop. When we got the 240 just put fins on it as soon as I brought it home. After breaking two steering cables I'm wondering if I should remove the fins. Were you happy driving it on just the new keel fun? I did purchase the the steel rod from Cobra Fins making the system all one working component.
Did the fins help the spinning on your 240? We are thinking about naming our boat "dizzy". All it does is spin if not underway.