• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

My scarab 215 review

Frogboy

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I finally got around to taking some pics and some thought on it.

Here's my full review: http://www.littletinyfrogs.com/article/456183/Scarab_215_review

Some pics:

I have the center window folded open. And the back seats folded flat.

Here's the cockpit:

Pros:
Well built
Surprisingly practical as a touring boat
Lots of nice touches in design
Great sound system
Crazy fast (60mph)
Adjustable seats make it very adaptable

Cons:
Louder than I expected
Cockpit is surprisingly chintzy
Adjustable seats are clunky
The tow line attachment is too low
Using the stereo is a pita

Let me know if you have any questions.

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@Frogboy nice write up about your boat and yes that is a sharp looking boat. Hope you and your family enjoy it for many years to come.

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Hey @Frogboy @! NICE boat. Love the colorful graphics. Makes me a little jealous. Glad you're here with us. Hoping to read many more of your posts in the moths & years to come !
Best Wishes, Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Great review Frogboy!! And I agree, for whatever reason these boats are FAST. Enjoy the ride my Scarab brother,lol!

jonw9

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
GTS
Boat Length
Nice write up. I love the Scarab, and is already on the short list for my next boat! I don't know if 60 MPH is necessary for my little lake, but should make it fun if you ever head down to Bimini.

I too have the "buzzing" in the windshield at high speeds. I can't seem to locate it either.
I too thought the same of the carpet, especially in the foot wells of the bucket seat area. The carpet tends to lift at speed.

We both have the big sweeping windshields, which really makes the stern the only entry point. The one thing I didn't like about the Scarab was that to enter you had to fold down the arm rest and walk on it, and it was soft. I too have some older and less mobile passengers, and it was one of the reasons we went Glastron with the solid walk through (although I do NOT undser stand why most passengers feel it is necessary to walk on the seats still! LOL)

My bimini says a speed limit of 45 or so, is there any limit posted on yours? I just don't want you to damage anything at 60!

Let me know when you start figuring our the mods, so I can copy.
Sony does make a remote with display, if you are already willing/able to cut a bigger hole in your dash!
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_158RMX60ML/Sony-RM-X60M-L.html?tp=61747

Is your subwoofer a bazooka tube as well? I still haven't figured out where mine is located, but I haven't looked hard either.

There is a sentence out of place in the second paragraph, probably due to the picture insertion.

In all, you have a great boat and I am sure you will enjoy it. Congrats and welcome!

Frogboy

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Thanks guys!

The Bimini didn't list a Mph limit. I don't take it faster than 45 long enough to justify taking it down.

By the copilot bucket is exactly where the carpet starts to rise for me too. This is the first year for this model, I suspect subsequent years will address these bugs. :)

ar240owner

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sharp looking boat !!!! I like it !!

Aces_Over_Kings

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Wow, congratulations, and great looking boat. I've got my eye on the 195 or 215 Impulse in red also, and I'm totally stoked that you and ScarabMike, and Jonw9 are sharing your experiences with this generation of jet boat. Hope you guys don't mind if those who are shopping ask questions.

jetboater4life

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Thanks guys!

The Bimini didn't list a Mph limit. I don't take it faster than 45 long enough to justify taking it down.

By the copilot bucket is exactly where the carpet starts to rise for me too. This is the first year for this model, I suspect subsequent years will address these bugs. :)
I think you can easily add more snaps to the carpet. I know some members on a different forum have done that.

jdonalds

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I like the cup holder next to the dash.

Aces_Over_Kings

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Alright, Frogboy, I had some time to read the review in earnest, and I've got a bunch of questions about your new beauty. My nearest dealer is quite a haul away, so I hope you don't mind the curiosity. I also happily own a Speedster 150 (first boat), and I'm trying to decide on an upgrade. The impulses just look so good, but wondering if I need the extra size of the 215. Here's what my inquiring mind wants to know:
  • Tower: Bimini top looks great. How's the tower build? Sturdy? Wobbly? I know it lowers down (to rest against the windshield?). Is this for travel, and any concerns with it banging the top of the windshield while transporting? One of you guys said there's a recall on the windshield -- anything serious?
  • Twin Engines: In the Yamaha forums, you'll hear tons of folks swear by the twin engines for redundancy/contingency purposes. But they have separate throttles (which sounds like a pain to me, but I'm sure it has its uses). If one of the Scarab's engines becomes disabled, can you limp home on the other one? Or does the single throttle somehow prevent that? Looks like two keys in the dash -- is that one for each engine??
  • Conditions: Any chance you've had it in chop or swells? I take my Speedster out into a harbor and it starts to feel reeeeal small, reeeeal fast. Past the no-wake zones, I can't do much over 10-12 or I'm airborne frequently. I suspect either the 195 or the 215 would be a major upgrade here, but curious to know if you've been bounced around yet in the 215.
  • Accessories: You said the bolster seats were A+. Any other accessories that you purchased that you recommend/regret? I'd be tempted to check pretty much every box on the list except ballast tanks. I saw a cockpit table on the list for both boats -- is there onboard storage for that??
No pressure to answer all the questions, but would love to hear more. Really appreciate you guys sharing your thoughts and photos; I'm excited to upgrade.

Frogboy

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Hi Aces,

Answers:

The tower is rock solid.

You can indeed limp home on one engine. Already did once due to running over a tow line (was easy to do but I needed to get it hoisted).

It handles the waves much much better than the speedster does. It's night and day difference there.

I decided against the cockpit table, mainly because there really is t that much room. I definitely recommend the upgraded engine controls (eco, dock, etc.)

jonw9

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
GTS
Boat Length
@ScarabMike had the windshield recall, but I am not sure why.

I had my windshield removed because they drilled the mounting holes too small and some were beginning to spider.

I believe we have the same tower, Xtreme is the brand I believe. It is 1 piece with a cable assisted hinge. No movement at all.

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
There was a recall on the glass because they were shattering with temperature changes, and slight vibrations. The Scarab uses a frame less glass windshield, so the glass needs to be strong. You can see the change in the thickness, and the new glass has a slight tint over the original.

@ScarabMike had the windshield recall, but I am not sure why.

I had my windshield removed because they drilled the mounting holes too small and some were beginning to spider.

I believe we have the same tower, Xtreme is the brand I believe. It is 1 piece with a cable assisted hinge. No movement at all.

Aces_Over_Kings

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@Frogboy, thanks for the answers above. Cruising the web, I found this photo of a 215 from a boat show, and the dash caught my eye. It looks like the Sea-Doo PWC instruments were replaced by a single rectangular screen? GPS Chart-plotter? Maybe this is just a pre-production model to get buzz going?

I know there's the upgrade to the Docking/Cruise/Eco mode, but from your ordering/purchasing experience, did they try to sell you on a GPS/Chartplotter upgrade or anything? I don't see anything on the list of optional upgrades other than the Cruise/Dock/Eco stuff.

Just thought it was interesting.

(Also, nice taste in strategy games -- GalCiv III on preorder also!)

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That looks like a touch screen console for custom wakeboarding features like the ones found in a Mastercraft. Thats interesting!! Great find!

@Frogboy, thanks for the answers above. Cruising the web, I found this photo of a 215 from a boat show, and the dash caught my eye. It looks like the Sea-Doo PWC instruments were replaced by a single rectangular screen? GPS Chart-plotter? Maybe this is just a pre-production model to get buzz going?

I know there's the upgrade to the Docking/Cruise/Eco mode, but from your ordering/purchasing experience, did they try to sell you on a GPS/Chartplotter upgrade or anything? I don't see anything on the list of optional upgrades other than the Cruise/Dock/Eco stuff.

Just thought it was interesting.

(Also, nice taste in strategy games -- GalCiv III on preorder also!)

flycast209

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
@Aces_Over_Kings I would not buy a 500 hp boat without the DECS. The ramp settings and gps controlled speed are a necessity. After owning a Speedster 150 and a Speedster 200, I will never go back. In fact, my wife is now a pro at pulling up skiers, wakeboarders, and surfers at the touch of a button, recalling the different settings easily. And less stressful, since no one has to yell at her. :winkingthumbsup" (I'm a lot of times in the water coaching the kids)