• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

My scarab 215 review

flycast209

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
...and no they didn't try to sell me a gps plotter either. I suppose I can use my phone for that. It looks cool though! But not an option for me at least.

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I really wanna check out one of these in person. Very high up on my list. Local-est dealer only has a couple 195 impulses, no 215's.

jonw9

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
GTS
Boat Length
Thanks guys!

The Bimini didn't list a Mph limit. I don't take it faster than 45 long enough to justify taking it down.

By the copilot bucket is exactly where the carpet starts to rise for me too. This is the first year for this model, I suspect subsequent years will address these bugs. :)
Found this, for future reference.

Attachments

Aces_Over_Kings

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Good to know, @flycast209. I don't see GPS on the list of available options, so I didn't suspect it. The rectangular screen in that picture just had me scratching my head. No escaping my Garmin EarthMate app on iphone/ipad just yet it seems, unless I get some serious marine electronics installed. Not that I need it -- I just geek out on things and I love some of the depth sounders and the imaging features the big boats have.

Lspeedss

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
60 mph...Liking it... Yamaha..if your listening: more speed... 60 mph....that's a big deal.. I wanna go faster..

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Do these motors limit RPM's for the initial break-in period?

Great looking boat!

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Roger that. Is the speed determined by GPS?

I ask because the BRP motors have lots of upgrades through rivamotorsports.com like the GPS speed governer bypass.

Things like this make ownership more exciting and costly. Lol.

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yep, its by GPS. Ive been looking at the Riva stuff. I like their ECU. I wouldnt touch my engine until the warranty is out, and since I got the additional 2 years....it will be a looooong time,lol.

Roger that. Is the speed determined by GPS?

I ask because the BRP motors have lots of upgrades through rivamotorsports.com like the GPS speed governer bypass.

Things like this make ownership more exciting and costly. Lol.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Talk to your dealer, most of the Riva products don't void warranty.

This is one area that our Yamaha's lack in: aftermarket upgrades.

jonw9

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
GTS
Boat Length
RPM's are limited to 7k for the first 5 hours. Then you can go to the full 8K+ after that, but break-in is 10 hours.

The speed and compass is GPS controlled, because the GPS unit went out on my boat. I don't think I am going any faster because of it! LOL

Williamsone46

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Its unfair to cast that judgement on the Scarab yet. Most people still have under 40 hours on theirs.
Your right, everyone is still grading Scarab's quality. But Rotax on the other hand has a long history that we can judge already.

Why not both?
In a perfect world both would be awesome. But there is a reason no one on here ever has engine problems with their Yamaha.

jonw9

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
GTS
Boat Length
No one, ever? Pretty broad statement, considering the search function available on this forum.

And no Rotax owner has ever had an issue with cleanout plugs leaking, opening,or preventing an engine start if somebody is standing on the wrong spot. ;)

Lspeedss

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Williamsone46 .. Not an augument...I love my 07 AR 230... I've had her since day one..best boat I've ever owned.. Just my opinion and some wishfull thinking I guess. But if Yamaha can give me 51 mph with the reliability I have now...surely they may be able to do the same with 60 or more mph...They have been decently responsive to customer feedback without real competition.. Now Scarab, Glastron, Chaparral and you know SeaRay will step back in..they will have to do something.. I cast my vote for all I have now, plus better fit and finish and more speed.
Steve

Williamsone46

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
No one, ever? Pretty broad statement, considering the search function available on this forum.

And no Rotax owner has ever had an issue with cleanout plugs leaking, opening,or preventing an engine start if somebody is standing on the wrong spot. ;)
"No one ever" might be an slight exaggeration, but it's not far off the mark.

Although most people complain about the clean outs. I would bet most would rather have them than not. And most clean out plug problems are maintenance problem, or environmental problem.

The adjustment of the kill switches is hardly a problem. It's simply a simple adjustment.

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Last edited: