• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

My scarab 215 review

Brett Thomson

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
The vibration in the windshield is the 215 plate. Have your local dealer take them off and put new adhesive on them.
Pull the carpet out and order the smart mat. It's expensive but awesome on the feet and way easy to clean and adds a whole new dimension to the look of the boat.

Brett Thomson

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Frogboy
The vibration in the windshield is the 215 plate. Have your local dealer take them completely off and put brand adhesive on them. It solved my issue. Take the carpet out and order the smart mat. It's expensive but doesn't move at high speeds. It also feels awesome on the feet and adds a whole new look to the boat. Thanks for the review. Good stuff!

Aces_Over_Kings

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@Frogboy, How's that 215 HO Impulse treating you now that you've had some time to break it in and learn its idiosyncrasies?

Any new lovable features or pet peeves? Revised thoughts on initial quality? Is that 500HP massive overkill or just what the doctor ordered? Not that those are necessarily two different things, I guess. Haha.

Simon Bedard

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
It's my third boat with the rotax engine, push them to the limit and never had any problems with them. Even do some submarine with my 2007 sea doo chalenger 180 supercharged.. a lot of time and didnot break anything. After I bought a speedster 200 with 2 rotax engine, a 2004. was more than 350 hours when I change it for my new scarab this spring, Only do the scheduled maintenance, gonna do the same with my scarab, and with the 5 years rotax warranty..... cannot see any probs to come that the warranty will not cover for a long time. For the Mat, take the optional Scarab Mat , its heavy, have a great look, let the water pass and stay dry. And it never wanna fly! and I try the yams, no handling in comparaison, and I don't talk about the quality of the seat and of the finition, it is at the state of the art, better lookin even than the mastercraft and Malibu boat

Simon Bedard

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
The vibration in the windshield is the 215 plate. Have your local dealer take them off and put new adhesive on them.
Pull the carpet out and order the smart mat. It's expensive but awesome on the feet and way easy to clean and adds a whole new dimension to the look of the boat.
did the same . done a good job, for the mat and the 215 plate

Danny Alto

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

HawkTX

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That is a great looking boat!

octavio3311

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I'm not too far from 60mph - we can do 56-57 with the right conditions. Bimini closed, no boards on the racks, 1/2 tank, no wife, no daughter, and glass waters. No wife is the big 1, cause if she's on board, she'll start bitchin around 40.
But honestly - this speed thing is overrated. My lake is busy and real choppy on weekends. 60 isn't comfortable unless it's a weekday.

A buddy has a big block powered Checkmate. It'll do 70 all day, but it is not fun. Can't tip a beer back without chipping a tooth at that speed.

I've said if before - if you're looking for a 65+ mph boat, get a Baja or something. But those fast boats will sacrifice comfort. Every boat has it's pros and cons.

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Since buying mine I've only been past 40 once. My boat rides the inter coastal, and inlets and its rare to get glassy conditions there unless your boating late at night. The speed thing IS over rated, at least for me. The biggest thing for me was the safety, warranty, styling, and the after sale experience from my dealer.

I would be more inclined to want to know how the 215 handles in the chop/rough water? Or maybe how the single throttle with dual engines feels compared to a dual throttle system? How about the optional ballast system? How good is it on fuel?

cane.mba

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@ScarabMike, have you sucked anything up yet? We Yamaha owners tend to place a huge amount of importance on clean out ports, but I've never had to use them (knock on wood). It never seemed to be an issue for Sea Doo owners over the years, and in my mind it would be nice not to have to worry about a plug blow out.

The only feature I would want is dual throttles for maneuverability. It's pretty awesome to be able to walk the boat sideways, or pivot the boat in a circle as if a pole was extended from the lake bottom to the hull. However, it would be nice not having to deal with throttle sync issues.... ;)

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@cane.mba I haven't sucked anything up yet. I have made a nice smoothie out of some seaweed,lol.

As far as spinning the boat like a top. This thing does that. You can stop it to a halt, and spin the boat to either side on its axis like the bats with two engines. Im pretty sure the dual engine Scarabs are even better. Yoy can see what Im talking about on the Caparral's boat test video. The Scarab is identical.

Brendon

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Other
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Other
@ScarabMike what kind of range and fuel mileage do you get? any idea what it is for the 210 vs the 195 ho's

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I honestly cant say. Most of the time I have the digital gauge set to depth, and speed. I can tell you I have gone from Jensen Beach to Juptiter (31 miles), carved the heck out of the water, and came back with plenty of fuel to spare.

johnnytan

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
What is the draft on the 215? I have read specs from Scarab that describe both 12" and 15". Does anyone know the actual draft?, because the dealers and owners seem to read off the spec sheet they are reading at the moment

Last edited:

d_coyne1984

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I wonder why Yamaha hasn't gone to using a reverse gate similar the that on the Rotax engines? They have a similar design on their skis now. Patent issue?