• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

My trim tab review

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
I dont recall. I may have the instructions somewhere with the packing slip. 1.25 - 1.5 maybe just from memory
Transom is way thinner than I thought

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I installed trim tabs on my 20’ seadoo boat. I could not really tell the difference in performance but that is because the boat, it’s trailer and the tow vehicle it was attached to got stolen soon after I completed the install.

Anyway, what I recall about the install is that I must have measured and fitted them 30 times before I drilled the first of many, many holes (maybe 30 or so), all under the water line to mount the tabs. I got a little messy with the 5200, and the controller was as expensive as the tab kit, the controller did look cool installed in the dash though.

if I were to do it again, I’d look for the Q system by Volvo. Well I’d go back to read some real world reviews here and on yamahajetboaters.com first.

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
No wood in mine. Lectrotab instructions call for #14 x 1 1/4" S.S. pan heads. Because I used a 1/4" thick piece of starboard as a shim to gain a few degrees up while retracted, I used 1 1/2" long screws. Different hull/transom but...

20170519_185223.jpg

I did not need a backing plate for my install as I was able to mount the actuator on the same backing plate for the transom tie-down. You will see them sticking up thru the plywood backing plate near the hardware for the tiedown. Again different boat.

20190131_065639.jpg

The shim.

20170519_093944.jpg

I recall talking to @HangOutdoors during his install and he was unable to locate the actuator near the tie-down backing plate on his transom.

Last edited:

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
I’m really skeptical about this instsllation. I can’t believe those screws won’t pull out eventually. They must bite really well.

Troch1

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I’m really skeptical about this instsllation. I can’t believe those screws won’t pull out eventually. They must bite really well.
There are easily dozens if not more members on this forum alone who have done this install (myself included). I’ve yet to see a single post on screws pulling out. Follow the instructions, follow the advice of those who came before you and all will work out. The tabs are a game changer on my boat.

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Anybody put them on a 21 ft boat? Think it would have a similar impact?
I know you posted that question along time ago but yes I have them on my 210 FSH and welcome to the best part is when someone moves on the boat it levels the boat automatically.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If installed per the instructions, they are embedded in 5200 or 4200 in order to seal them. Then, if you drill the holes to the proper size, the bite on top of that is quite beefy. I don't think you will find between those two things that those screws go anywhere for a looong time. Your whole boat may be in the scrap yard and will still have those on there.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
They are not coming off. I have no concerns. They are on 100's if not thousands of boats of the years like ours and have not see anyone indicate to the contrary.

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
Ok guys, thanks for the support. One last thing. Would it be appropriate to use shorter screws as not to completely drill through?

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
No. You will need to drill through. Also you want to lightly countersink each hole gingerly with a 3/4" counter sink. Just touch it a bit, which prevents chipping. The Glass is maybe 1/4" or so.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@RobbieO If you don't feel you need them, don't get them. Where we boat and on the chop we needed to use them.

FYI, you will be nervous at first thinking you will need to drill, I belive it was, 12 holes a side in transom and bottom of swim deck. Once you get your first few it becomes easier mentally :)

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
@RobbieO If you don't feel you need them, don't get them. Where we boat and on the chop we needed to use them.

FYI, you will be nervous at first thinking you will need to drill, I belive it was, 12 holes a side in transom and bottom of swim deck. Once you get your first few it becomes easier mentally :)
I do boat mostly on inland lakes, but some of them get super rough at times when crossing over. When and if I decide to boat in the brackish waters of the Sacramento/San Joaquin Delta I will need them. It's nice to be equipped just in case you need them. I'm definitely going to install them at some point. I'm over the drilling blockade now. I drilled the crap out of my dash already, and the gunwales. What's another 20-30 holes? LOl

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
When you are ready to drill your transom with 9 holes for the base and you look at the size of the drill bit and screws, remember I am here for emotional support.

deubank1776

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
When you are ready to drill your transom with 9 holes for the base and you look at the size of the drill bit and screws, remember I am here for emotional support.
Can I source some of that emotional support for Sunday. Im enlarging the pisser holes and drilling for a NOCO male port for my tender. :arghh:

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My tabs are on and finger is healed, and I somehow managed to finish trim tabs as well as Garmin Chartplotter down a digit. You are just beginning :)

Quad

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I do boat mostly on inland lakes, but some of them get super rough at times when crossing over. When and if I decide to boat in the brackish waters of the Sacramento/San Joaquin Delta I will need them. It's nice to be equipped just in case you need them. I'm definitely going to install them at some point. I'm over the drilling blockade now. I drilled the crap out of my dash already, and the gunwales. What's another 20-30 holes? LOl
I went the first year without anything else to get to know the boat and its intricacies. One of the first things I observed was the porpoising in heavier seas that my I/O friends with tabs could sort out. (note - friends with I/O our outboards without tabs suffered about as badly as I did.) I got them on at the beginning of my second season and got the Admiral using them as well when she drives and the difference was night and day. We would go out on rougher days that we had avoided the first season, and enjoyed the boat and water a lot more. Still on the fence about adding steering assist this year - and the reason for that is to get a better grip on the water at higher speeds.

JPINOT

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Any thoughts on whether to go with the manual or auto trim tab from Lectrotab?

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Get the SLC-11 It was what I use, a lot of nice features. It is also manual. I only deploy trim when needed otherwise it is off. And you don't need much.

JPINOT

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Thanks for the info! Was debating about going with the auto model