• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Need advice for a move to Texas

bobbie

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
So we will be moving to the Austin area in the spring. the dilemma is do we tow our boat at the end of March? Sell the magical 212x boat and switch to a wake boat? Should we just pay someone to tow it?? Or should i get it beyond the mountain passes now so we don’t have to worry about a spring snow storm in the pass.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!! Isn’t there someone here that either tows boats or has a connection to someone who does???

Thank.

Bobbie

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Well you know how I feel about you selling your 212x..... you will be 16 hours from port Everglades. That being said if you decide to keep it, i will be glad to help towing it here. If you don’t a place to store it here and depends on your exact dimensions, I might be able to store next to my boat in a climate controlled garage :)

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Afraid I have no good advice to offer (not being a towing fiend--farthest I ever go so far is 1.5 hrs). I do know someone towed from the west coast for a Bimini trip, but I don't remember who that was... Only thing I would say is if you tow it yourself, probably would be good to have a good tune up on the trailer (bearings packed/new, brakes bled and checked, etc.) before a trip that length. Oh, and tires that are less than 5 years old.

But, congrats on the decision to move to Austin! We are right down the road... be sure to wave.

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Congratulations to you both! Austin is a great city.

Suggest you look into shipping your boat. You might find it is lower risk and, possibly, lower overall cost (gas + wear & tear on your tow vehicle, etc) than towing so far + major mountain crossings. Timely thread on this right now: https://jetboaters.net/threads/boat-transport.24366/

Also, you will have cut your 31 hr/2103 mile tow to Shelbyville (each way) to a mere 14 hr 5 min/991 mile tow (each way)! So, therefore, you should keep your 212X (obviously).

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@bobbie, what are you towing with?

bobbie

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@Bruce we’ve got a ram 1500 hemi. My brother has lived in austin for about 30 years and we go to visit often. We love the area.

PEARCE

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
What are the chances that you'd be able to sell your 212 for the money it deserves where you currently live? How many Yamahas do you see on a normal weekend during the summer? Yamahas are VERY popular here in Texas. If you're looking to make the switch then I say sell now and get moved and buy what you want once you're settled.

Considering where you're moving from, with y'all moving to Texas, y'all will probably be boating on all but the coldest days of the year. For a lot of people their boating season is from Memorial day weekend to Labor day weekend. Even though it's plenty warm into October to be in the water without any sort of wet/dry suit. Besides the weather, the crowds are nonexistent. We primarily boat on Lake Texoma which is almost two hours north of Dallas.

bobbie

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@PEARCE well...considering we start our season in 58 degree water I'm looking forward to quite a better surfing season in texas! We might have passed the window to sell here considering its been raining cats and dogs right now. We go back to Texas in three weeks to pick our finishes and I'll be able to measure our garage depth and width.

We surfed the axis a20 last weekend and for a 20 ft boat the wake was legit even right out of the box.

Another change I need to make us using y'all instead the northern equivalent of you guys!

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
That Axis wave won't have much adjustability though unless it has power wedge. Surf gate works as it's the most simple surf system but you're kind of stuck with the same wave as opposed to a surf system that uses plates. Just my .02

I'm super jealous y'all will be right down the road from Lake Travis which looks like beautiful water to surf and swim in.

bobbie

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@haknslash yup...it has a power wedge. The wave was just how i like it....super smooth like a skatepark bowl

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@bobbie, you have a HEMI, I would tow her. @MrMoose has done it multiple times with his car:)

I like Austin. It was on my list of places to relocate when we left the UK. In general I find Texas to be diverse and friendly but Austin is much more of that and other parts of Texas are less friendly to Austin’s craziness.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@bobbie,
In general I find Texas to be diverse and friendly but Austin is much more of that and other parts of Texas are less friendly to Austin’s craziness.
If your ever family decided to move to DFW, I will rent uhual and come drive it myself from hot springs to Dallas.

iamcalled

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
sell it. Buy a surf boat. Invite me and my wife down from Dallas. Lake Travis surfing for the win.

bobbie

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@buckbuck, @bobbie, @Betik we have much nicer lakes in Arkansas than anything that Texas can offer.

Ouachita is 40,000 acres of water that is often ranked as the second cleanest in the country with 200 islands to picnic and camp on.

D5955344-1064-4DCB-9A9A-BD61E1CFAF92.jpeg

Bull Shoals is 70,000 acres of calm water for surfing even on busy weekends.

BEA85CA6-0AC2-4242-93C0-D62076F00B4C.jpeg

bobbie

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length