• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Need advice for a move to Texas

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@buckbuck, @bobbie, @Betik we have much nicer lakes in Arkansas than anything that Texas can offer.
Ouachita is 40,000 acres of water that is often ranked as the second cleanest in the country with 200 islands to picnic and camp on.
Bull Shoals is 70,000 acres of calm water for surfing even on busy weekends.
Oh, yeah?!? Well, how about Lake Conroe?

Lake Conroe is, um... 21,000 acres of, er... well, water-ish and silt that is often ranked as... as the closest boating place for me. And it has those 21,000 acres of... well, chop, that makes sure your boat is well shaken and not stirred.

Man, I would hate to be in Arkansas...

Come over to Conroe, @bobbie .

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@Bruce What are the state taxes on a retirement pension in Arkansas?
@bobbie Probably not going to Austin area. Most likely DFW.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Arkansas has income taxes. Texas has higher property taxes to replace income taxes. Not sure which are more painful.

But seriously I would consider Bull Shoals as a middle of nowhere location where you can have your own slip on a large quiet lake. Ouachita is better for my family’s picnic and swimming outings but there are no private docks.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
But seriously I would consider Bull Shoals as a middle of nowhere location
Only been there twice, but have loved it. I definitely 2nd this statement though. Lol!

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If you comfortable leaving outside city limits you can buy a couple of acres and build a modest home ( less than 2,000 sf) and dedicate a portion of your land as private cemetery. That will make a huge difference on your property taxes.

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
In response to @bobbie trying to convince me on a move to Austin.....

She doesn't have to try very hard. Right now the 5 finalists are DFW, Charlotte, Raleigh, Knoxville or Austin, with the last 2 in the lead. We are on a 5 year plan, but @bobbie has the wife questioning if we need to wait that long.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@OperationROL's Wife no you should not wait that long . Do what @bobbie does. If you have to deviate then just stop 300 miles north of Austin. Leaving in People’s Republic of Travis county might bit Oregon, but still it is a bit much for spending 365 days a year

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We surfed the axis a20 last weekend and for a 20 ft boat the wake was legit even right out of the box.
How did you find it as compared to your 212? Is it really that much better?
I have not surfed behind any of the newest wake boats, except for the 2016 MC NXT, and I must say I've been genuinely impressed with a well-dialed-in Yamaha waves. The difference in the ease of set-up can be dramatic, especially when it comes to changing sides, but apart from that - what's your take?

--

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
In response to @bobbie trying to convince me on a move to Austin.....

She doesn't have to try very hard. Right now the 5 finalists are DFW, Charlotte, Raleigh, Knoxville or Austin, with the last 2 in the lead. We are on a 5 year plan, but @bobbie has the wife questioning if we need to wait that long.
Of the 2 I’d pick Knoxville. Beautiful land, city by the river, amazing lakes nearby and probably more conservative demographic.

shar

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@bobbie maybe we should switch boats. I am currently in Austin but am looking to relocate to Seattle... I can pick yours up on the way out there :)

bobbie

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Stay in Austin!!! It's rains 8 months a year!!! @shar

shar

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Stay in Austin!!! It's rains 8 months a year!!! @shar
lol. yikes. Is that better or worse than the 90 consecutive days over 100 degrees we had last year?!

I am originally from NJ, and I miss the seasons. Texas is hot and hotter. Although, shorts in January is pretty cool. 107 in August is not

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
What is easier to boat rain or 90 degree ?

bobbie

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I'll take the sun any day. I'm born and raised in the pacific northwest. I cannot do the grey and rain anymore. It's depressing.

Scuba_ref

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'll take the sun any day. I'm born and raised in the pacific northwest. I cannot do the grey and rain anymore. It's depressing.
Amen to that, I lived on the 300-days-of-sun side of the PNW and I still moved to Hawaii! Warm weather over everything else for me...still haven't put the boat in the water yet, I'm a little nervous!