• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Need advice on buying a 2005 SX230

K2escape

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So I test drove a 2005 SX230 today for a great price but performance was nothing like I read it should be. First time driving a jet boat at all but I have read a lot on here.
Issue 1 The boat wouldn’t do more than 26 mph and was pretty slow getting on plane. I have read that it should be on plane almost immediately and hit high 40s. Also max RPM was around 8000. This is NOT the HO version but I thought it should be 10k
Owner told me they just had the impeller housings replaced and had me talk to the mechanic about it. He told me that 8000 rpm is the max. Can anyone confirm which it is?
From some of my research I suspect a possible seal issue but the RPMs concern me too.

Issue 2 the shifters are very hard to move. Supposedly they have been replaced on the last year or two but the boat hasn’t been used much. Could they just need lubricating?

The rest of the boat has typical wear issues you would expect for a 15 year old boat and if I get the price right and drive issues corrected I’m tempted. I’m also tempted to say screw it and spend twice as much for a 2008 or 2009.....

Any help or suggestions would be great.

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Last edited:

PaulyB

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Neither motor would do over 8,000 RPM? It sounds like plugs may need to be replaced or on of the coilpacks may not be fully connected. I still believe the MR1 non-ho should turn to 10,000 RPMs. I would say something is definitely off with it. Where are you located?

K2escape

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Correct, they were both topping out around 8000. Supposedly it was just serviced. I am in Orlando. Boat is near west palm beach. Owner offered it to me for 8k but I’m uncomfortable unless I have a good idea that the fix is not “replace a motor” or something else catastrophic.

Paulie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Here's a link to a review of a non ho sx230
I replaced all my cables and rebuilt my pump housings 2 years ago. Those cables should be silky smooth if just replaced last year, even if it's been sitting. I agree with plug replacement as a good place to start with regards to RPM and power deficiency but it could also be related to the pumps supposedly having been replaced/rebuilt. If someone did not do that correctly, then that could also contribute to the loss of thrust and low rpm. If it were me, and the rest of the boat was in good shape, I would have the plugs replaced and perform a compression check before purchasing, if possible.

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
They should be around 10200rpm is where my non HO tops out

Zonie

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Keep looking. There are lots of these out there.

Paulie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
can you share the listing? Maybe we can take a look at the condition from some pictures.

AZ Native

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
So I test drove a 2005 SX230 today for a great price but performance was nothing like I read it should be. First time driving a jet boat at all but I have read a lot on here.
Issue 1 The boat wouldn’t do more than 26 mph and was pretty slow getting on plane. I have read that it should be on plane almost immediately and hit high 40s. Also max RPM was around 8000. This is NOT the HO version but I thought it should be 10k
Owner told me they just had the impeller housings replaced and had me talk to the mechanic about it. He told me that 8000 rpm is the max. Can anyone confirm which it is?
From some of my research I suspect a possible seal issue but the RPMs concern me too.
I had a 2005 non-HO until early last year. If you're not at sea level and it's not an HO your not going to ever see the advertised RPM and speeds. Elevation matters a lot with these older engines (and the new ones). It should do better than 8,000 RPM, but I doubt you will ever see 10k out of a none HO. At 2,500 to 4,000 feet elevation I was lucky to see 9,000 RPM and 35 MPH. Yes you can open up the intake, change the plugs and do some minor things, to improve performance, but these engines are what they are. Not all that strong at anything but sea level.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
At 8k. I think thats a fair price for that boat, even with the issues. As the others said, the rpms is likely old plugs and gas. Did you do a compression test?

IMO it depends on budget. If you can afford the newer boat, go for it and you wont regret it. If not, thats a great price for a boat. You will have a hard time finding so ething that size for that price. Keep in mind, a newer boat once you price im the work it will need is going to cost you 3x what this does.