• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Need Advice - Stereo & Bluetooth Restore to Factory

Yoda715

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Hi all, bought a used 2016 242X and working through the issues. Basics of this issue are that the previous owner did something funky with the radio. None of the radio controls do anything, either the connectx or the headunit in the stern. It seems like he's disconnected all of those from the AMPs and put in just a basic bluetooth adapter. I think he did that because the headunit in the stern is damaged, missing volume knob and appears to have water damage. I've got a replacement head unit on order to fix that.

So what I was trying to find was a sample diagram or picture of how the default/factory AMP and stereo setup should be. I want to restore it so that the headunit and the connectx screen are able to control the radio system. TYIA!

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I believe if you can replace the head unit at the swim platform with another of the same type, then all functions should work unless there's another issue.

Yoda715

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I hope that is the case, but my concern is that the previous owner seems to have totally disconnected the audio input. There's a device that looks foreign/custom, and I suspect that it is the bluetooth I'm seeing when boat is powered on. I am unable to hear any radio band selected via connext through the speakers. So that makes me think the audio output from the factory radio has been completely unplugged from the AMP. I'm hoping to dig up a wiring diagram of that piece.

Yoda715

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
So I did some more digging around, and I suspect I found the culprit modification. Looks like the guy installed a MBT-RX BT adapter, and put that in line to the AMPs. Where I'm stuck now is: where did the input lines for the AMP originally plug into? The front or rear RCA plugs? Something else? Attached pics of what I'm seeing.

Attachments

Yoda715

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
So I've scoured multiple times the 2016 Service manual and I cannot find any diagram of the wiring between the Polk Audio stereo and the AMPs. Does anyone have some pictures they could share of their stereo to AMP wiring/setup? Willing to send money for beers for AMP/Stero pics ;)

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
It was originally probably front and rears. Front being the inside speakers and rear being the swimdeck speakers/tower speakers.

Yoda715

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Thanks! That makes sense. Still on the hunt for a wiring diagram as I'm not sure which AMP is which, nor where to plug the RCA connectors in, with the exception of where the previous owner plugged the BT adapter into.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Thanks! That makes sense. Still on the hunt for a wiring diagram as I'm not sure which AMP is which, nor where to plug the RCA connectors in, with the exception of where the previous owner plugged the BT adapter into.
A multimeter (DMM) will be your friend. Other tricks: A 9v battery can help as well. You can put each pair of speaker wires on the 9v battery to see which speaker pops. You could also get an RCA to 3.5MM cord and plug one end into the amp rcas, the other into your phone and see what speakers play.

Once you figure what is what, you can then use the DMM for a continuity test to see which RCA ends are related. Of course you can just plug it and and play with the zone control too.

I could probably figure it all out in ten minutes lol.

Yoda715

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
A multimeter (DMM) will be your friend. Other tricks: A 9v battery can help as well. You can put each pair of speaker wires on the 9v battery to see which speaker pops. You could also get an RCA to 3.5MM cord and plug one end into the amp rcas, the other into your phone and see what speakers play.

Once you figure what is what, you can then use the DMM for a continuity test to see which RCA ends are related. Of course you can just plug it and and play with the zone control too.

I could probably figure it all out in ten minutes lol.
Good ideas! I'll give those a whirl if I'm unable to trace the wires successfully. What's throwing me the most at the moment is the dude removed all the original RCA wires from the AMPs. So the boat's Polk Audio stereo is literally sitting there doing nothing. No idea why this guy did that.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
It shouldn't be too hard to get it back together. Stereos are relatively simple.

Yoda715

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Another problem I have, the stern stereo control head unit is damaged. It's missing volume knob, has rust on the inside, and I'm unsure that it's fully functional. I was thinking I could find a new head unit and replace it. Nope. Every where I look that part (Yamaha Part) says no longer available. UGH! So, I found what looks to be a similar part, Polk Audio PA4A. Does anyone know if that PA4A is the actual part on the 2016? I know it is for the 2017 242X. Guess I may have to dig out the tuner or commander to confirm.

Last edited:

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
What’s the back of it look like? Any proprietary connectors?

Yoda715

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Not sure,but I'm going to go take it apart in a few hours to find out.

Yoda715

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Best I could do without leaving gaping hole is that the unit is a PA450UM. Can't find any heads units with that model number either. So I'm gathering that Polk Audio did a minor revision and made it the PA4A, and that's what the 2017+ 242X used. I've found an entire kit for $350 so I'm going to replace both the commander and Tuner module. The marina I bought the boat from said the owner complained that the radio stopped working. So I'm probably best to swap out both parts of it anyhow.