• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Need help! Engine cranks for two seconds then stops....

That, my friend, is up to you and completely fair. Just providing information to hopefully help you make an informed decision!

Just wanted to post a final update on my issue and the resolution.

So I can conclude that the starting issue had to do with the swollen impeller housing, not allowing the prop to spin during startup.

I ended up replacing the housing with a brand new one, as well as replacing my impeller. While I had the pump off, I also replaced the existing bearing grease under the cone with brand new. I figured while I had everything apart, I may as well replace all I can and do preventative maintenance and not have to worry about this happening again for another 8 years+.

I must say, the absolute hardest part of this process was getting the original impeller off. That thing was on there good, took all my strength and body weight to get it loosened. For anyone doing it, I recommend using pb blaster to get into those threads to loosen it up a bit before you try to remove the impeller. I tried once without using it, no luck. Sprayed some blaster in there and let it sit for 20 mins, and finally got it off next try using all my strength and body weight. I purchased the spline tool for the shaft to put into the vice on ebay. Wrench size that goes onto the impeller to loosen it is 1 1/16"

Spline tool part number: WR014H
INSTOCK YAMAHA DRIVE SHAFT HOLDER IMPELLER REMOVAL TOOL WR014H | eBay

Few pics:

20210630_145617.jpg

20210630_150032.jpg

20210630_150037.jpg

And lastly, the sound of no griding metal!

Here was the before change video:

And after:

Thanks to everyone for the help, and more specifically Captain Leon and his great tutorial on how to do this repair on his youtube channel. Not sure if he is on this forum, but if he is, can someone let me know. He deserves a big thanks for making that video and the repair so easy.

Did the new impeller housing come with the wear sleeve? I was trying to order one for my boat today and was told the housing and impeller sleeve are separate components. So it looks like I have to remove the old sleeve and install a new one in the existing housing. Looks like it will be like changing a wheel bearing race in a brake rotor, hopefully. I haven't seen a vide of anyone just replacing the sleeve.

Did the new impeller housing come with the wear sleeve? I was trying to order one for my boat today and was told the housing and impeller sleeve are separate components. So it looks like I have to remove the old sleeve and install a new one in the existing housing. Looks like it will be like changing a wheel bearing race in a brake rotor, hopefully. I haven't seen a vide of anyone just replacing the sleeve.

Nah it was all one piece for me. The sleeve is stainless steel and infused within the aluminum housing. It's all one part.

You can't just replace the sleeve, have to replace the entire part, at least for my boat. What boat do you have?

https://www.partsvu.com/housing-impeller-6cr-r1312-00-00.html

Thanks to everyone for the help, and more specifically Captain Leon and his great tutorial on how to do this repair on his youtube channel. Not sure if he is on this forum, but if he is, can someone let me know. He deserves a big thanks for making that video and the repair so easy.

Paging @Leojay ...

Yeah, looks like yours is different. You can look it up on the parts website. Yours has an impeller sleeve now. Different than my 2013 ar190

2021 Yamaha 212SE (AXT1800FW) Jet Unit 1 | Babbitts Yamaha Partshouse

View attachment 155537
Has anyone actually replaced these yet? Looks like this started with the 2019 models. The impeller duct and impeller housing were combined into a single unit and they made the wear ring a sleeve that slides in. Likely why they combined the duct/housing, those parts would be replaced quite infrequently, and made the replaceable part separate (the sleeve)

It looks like the sleeve just slides in and there is a groove which prevents it from spinning. Wondering how hard it would be to remove and if it can be done with impeller on or impeller has to be removed first?

Has anyone actually replaced these yet? Looks like this started with the 2019 models. The impeller duct and impeller housing were combined into a single unit and they made the wear ring a sleeve that slides in. Likely why they combined the duct/housing, those parts would be replaced quite infrequently, and made the replaceable part separate (the sleeve)

It looks like the sleeve just slides in and there is a groove which prevents it from spinning. Wondering how hard it would be to remove and if it can be done with impeller on or impeller has to be removed first?
I have replaced both of mine (212SE). You do have to remove the impellers, but the sleeves are a slip fit and can be removed and replaced rather easily. There are 2 big o-rings in the housing for the sleeves, and the sleeves have a nylon coating. Shouldn't be a problem.

I have replaced both of mine (212SE). You do have to remove the impellers, but the sleeves are a slip fit and can be removed and replaced rather easily. There are 2 big o-rings in the housing for the sleeves, and the sleeves have a nylon coating. Shouldn't be a problem.
Thanks! Do you have to remove the impellers just because it's too difficult to grip the sleeves and get them out with the impellers in the way? I have the impeller tool and may just replace them at the same time.

Looks like they also went to a single impeller design for port and starboard, I don't see different models anymore. looks like it's been that way since 2015, my last impeller replacement was on my 2014 and that one had unique impellers for each side.

Last edited:
I'll be honest with you, I'm not sure. I removed my impellers because they appeared to be damaged and I was going to send them to Impros to be reconditioned. Turns out there was only cosmetic damage and I was able to clean them up myself.

Back