• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Need help, just sucked rocks into 2017 Waverunner VX Cruiser HO

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Will get pix up later, not 100% sure on model and year, but I think it is correct (3 passenger, 1.8L normally aspirated, was $15K ish new a few years ago.) I got too shallow on my brother's (UGH!) ski. Sucked rocks into intake. Obvious gravel noise in impeller. Stalled engine.

Got ski onto its lift, there are obvious dings in impeller edges, assume there is a pebble stuck between wear ring and impeller and that stalled the engine. I am guessing I am going to have to buy him a new impeller and wear ring, but I'd like to get this fixed now so we can use it for the next few days (depending on how bad the cavitation is). I have to run into Lowe's to get a socket set to pull pebbles from intake side of impeller (will have to pull the intake grate plate (whatever it is called). I also can see a couple on outlet side - going to have to get some long reach right angle needle nose pliers for that.

His ski has the trim adjustment and reverse buckets in the way, pulling impeller looks much more difficult than on my sx-230. Can anyone give me advice / guidance on a) how to get the ski going again for now and b) how big a bill I need to brace for with new impeller and ring and paying someone to do it (quite sure he won't try, I am from out of state and likely will not be here to do it)? Could really use some @HELP here.

&$%& damn &@*#& it! My fault, I have to make it right.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Will get pix up later, not 100% sure on model and year, but I think it is correct (3 passenger, 1.8L normally aspirated, was $15K ish new a few years ago.) I got too shallow on my brother's (UGH!) ski. Sucked rocks into intake. Obvious gravel noise in impeller. Stalled engine.

Got ski onto its lift, there are obvious dings in impeller edges, assume there is a pebble stuck between wear ring and impeller and that stalled the engine. I am guessing I am going to have to buy him a new impeller and wear ring, but I'd like to get this fixed now so we can use it for the next few days (depending on how bad the cavitation is). I have to run into Lowe's to get a socket set to pull pebbles from intake side of impeller (will have to pull the intake grate plate (whatever it is called). I also can see a couple on outlet side - going to have to get some long reach right angle needle nose pliers for that.

His ski has the trim adjustment and reverse buckets in the way, pulling impeller looks much more difficult than on my sx-230. Can anyone give me advice / guidance on a) how to get the ski going again for now and b) how big a bill I need to brace for with new impeller and ring and paying someone to do it (quite sure he won't try, I am from out of state and likely will not be here to do it)? Could really use some @HELP here.

&$%& damn &@*#& it! My fault, I have to make it right.
Well... i really can't help u. I have a 230 as well.. never had all that mess on one I had to pull. But I like your attitude.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would get the pebble out first and see how it runs, it's amazing what will and wont cause an issue

I dont know about the trim issue to remove the pump, maybe youtube could give guidance

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Looks easy

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
About $300 for impeller/housing from yamahasports plaza

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would also wonder if housing/wear ring needs replaced, if you have a jetski shop around they probably have impeller on hand and only takes 20 min to swap them if you brought impeller/shaft to them

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
As was said, pull the rest of the gravelyard out of the pump and see where you are. If that requires pulling the pump, while there at least use a pliers to bend back anything obvious. If you have it, a file can be used too. Be careful that you don't throw the balance off (don't take too much off one blade and not off the others, basically). Then put it together and see where you are. As @Scottintexas said (and I can attest), some impellers that look awful run fine (at least acceptably); others that look like nothing do poorly. See where you are before you panic.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
If you remove the pump you can rotate the impeller backward and take the pressure of any rocks that are wedged in between the impeller and the liner allowing them to fall out

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Great suggestions so far, keep them coming. See attached pix of the ski and some tight shots of inlet and output side of the pump.

Note the two small chunks of rock on the dock next to my new articulating 45 degree needle nose pliers for scale (always wanted something like those pliers - $15 at Lowe's ☺) - these two pieces came out the outlet and were sitting in the bottom of the (not sure the part name) stator portion of the pump. If you look into the pump from the outlet side, you can just see the culprit wedged on outlet side of pump blade at about 10 o'clock.

Edit: note also, the lead edge of all 3 impeller blades (on inlet side) look a bit beat up

20200806_210714.jpg20200806_211032.jpg20200806_211050.jpg20200806_210225.jpg20200806_210836.jpg20200806_210137.jpg20200806_210116.jpg20200806_210038.jpg
Note the two chunks of rock shown here at 6 o'clock are the same two on the dock by the articulating need nose pliers, above, before I got them out.

Edit: This last picture shows that "culprit" chunk of rock wedged in at the 10 o'clock position. I believe this is likely what caused the stall. It is putty colored and just to the left of the top screw (of the three screws, each with a blue dot) around the perimeter of the cone.

Last edited:

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just a nutty idea, but...

Rather than pull the pump, can you pull the spark plugs? Then rotate the pump backwards as Jeff suggested to release the cracken, er, rocks?

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Just a nutty idea, but...

Rather than pull the pump, can you pull the spark plugs? Then rotate the pump backwards as Jeff suggested to release the cracken, er, rocks?
That sounds like a very interesting idea. Not sure how I would grip it... maybe a strap wrench wrapped 2x around the shaft? Anyone think this is a bad idea to try this?

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Not familiar with the jetski structure between the engine and the pump, but is there anything there on which you can put a wrench or strap wrench?

I figure the worst that can happen is that it doesn't work. Then you pull the pump (and put the plugs back in...).

And then you get to say my idea was idiotic here on the forum! Win! :)

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You could also consider a punch (or even screwdriver) to tap the wedged side of the rock back the other way. Seems like the stator or impeller will take the scrape either way until it loosens. You could start with light taps and increase until you felt the impact reached a level where you might do harm. The rock might break up.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I did not suggest counter rotating the engine due to the timing chain not sure if it could cause an issue with it, there is a p. t. o. on the front of the drive shaft where it meets the engine by the intermediate bearing that can be moved back and forth slightly without interfering with the engine as there is a rubber vibration dampener between it the drive shaft and the engine, if you rocked it back and forth PUN INTENDED!

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ok, with daylight came chance to dig in a little further. Cleaned out some more grit and small stone chips from the pump outlet.

Disconnected battery and pulled intake grate. The culprit piece of rock is a bit bigger than I had hoped. Trying to tap it back out with long screwdriver, but not sure it will work. Not really wanting to pull pump on hoist on lake. The waves are just a few inches now, but seem to be building a bit. Fun.

Great ideas are welcome.

Intake grate out:
20200807_105052.jpg

Another stone I found on the intake side of impeller, removed - note impeller blades dont look good:
20200807_105123.jpg

The culprit piece of rock from the intake side, can just see it under the impeller blade at about 3 o'clock:
20200807_105204.jpg

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I suspect that the impeller wear is not from a single event but likely several.

I would see how she does with the existing parts before replacing.

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I did not suggest counter rotating the engine due to the timing chain not sure if it could cause an issue with it, there is a p. t. o. on the front of the drive shaft where it meets the engine by the intermediate bearing that can be moved back and forth slightly without interfering with the engine as there is a rubber vibration dampener between it the drive shaft and the engine, if you rocked it back and forth PUN INTENDED!
Jeff, I certainly have nowhere near your knowledge, but I have to ask: if I pull spark plugs and manually rotate the impeller shaft, wouldn't the crank, timing chain, everything rotate with it - and stay in time?

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Not sure but the tension-er could possibly malfunction that is my worry, although rocking the vibration dampener at the back of the engine a bit on the drive shaft side would probably not cause a problem

Last edited:

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I suspect that the impeller wear is not from a single event but likely several.

I would see how she does with the existing parts before replacing.
Yes, you are likely correct. However, the ski was working perfectly before I vacuumed the bottom with it. So, I own the fix.

Not sure we are going to try pulling the pump on the water. Waiting for bro to arrive to make the call.

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Update: We pulled plugs, had two strap wrenches on shaft and couldn't get so much as a real wiggle out of it. Given the obvious impeller damage, we called it. Reassembled everything. Going into dealer Monday. Thanks for all the help.

(damnit)