• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Need Help on Trailer Brakes

Huv1

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Mine did this last summer when I picked up my brand new 2019 AR190. Towed it 2 hours home with no issue and when I went to back it into the yard it locked up in reverse. In my case it wasn't the trailer at all but a blown fuse on my pickup that ran the reverse brakes on the trailer. Replaced the fuse and have had zero issues since. Maybe check that and see if it is your issue.

gmtech16450yz

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Dude how much all this system cost? Jeez I feel like since I bought the boat, apart from the hull and the engines, i've had to replace EVERYTHING stock! Yamaha total value package my ass!
The Hydrastar brake actuator was $550. My trailer only came with brakes on 1 of the 2 axles so it cost me another $500 for brand new hubs/rotors and calipers for the other axle. So around $1k in parts and my own labor to have boat trailer brakes that can bring my motorhome to a stop all by themselves simply by moving a lever on the dash.

The Yamaha boats are a relative bargain as far as bang for the buck. You could spend twice as much on a Mastercraft, Malibu or Sea Ray, or you can buy a Yamaha and have tens of thousands of dollars in your pocket to spend on making it "perfect". I look at the basic platform and decide if I can make it into what I want for the money saved. I'll gladly pay the extra money up front if I find a "perfect" product, but that rarely happens. Yamaha makes really good engines and has some good ideas on basic design. Unfortunately most anything put together in this country is going to be sourced with garbage parts and thrown together. It's the American way these days. These Yamaha boats and Shoreland'r trailers are a perfect example. You just have to think of them as a bargain because "Some assembly is required". lol.

mrdubean1

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yes I am aware of the key. That's how I got out of the jam on the boat ramp since I was blocking others and my trailer wont move. I had my wife hold the key in (since I had no zip tie or wasn't prepared for this issue) and I slowly backed the boat until it was in a smooth rythm and she could let go. I drove at 1mph or so but it's still a dangerous thing to do. I have ordered the magnetic key thingi.

OK THIS IS IMPORTANT!!!!!
However when I opened the black cap on my trailer I saw a lot of rust on top of the cylinder where you put the brake fluid! Problem is that this cap is very lose by design and designed to pop off just by fingers (no tools needed). So everytime you wash your trailer or it gets subjected to salt, water gets underneath there! Guys please start opening this cap periodically and checking for rust. Spray whatever corrosion prvention stuff you use but dont leave it bare. I had no clue! Its rusted beyond beleif! Here is the pic. Sorry I didnt take a pic at the trailer so I am using @mrdubean1 pic to show what I am talking about!
Thanks for the tip. I will check that cap right now!