• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Need long term review of SeaDek vs carpet

ncnmra

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Nice! I will have to get some of those.

Now if only I can remind my crew to close and lock the freaking ski locker latch. I stubbed my pinky toe on that thing as well yesterday and created a few new words nobody has ever heard before. :banghead::punch::rage:

Last edited:

BlackandTan

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
2 1/2 years here and I can echo what Bill D said. Mine still looks like brand new. I have two marks where I dropped heavy items with sharp corners, but even those are pretty hard to see. I love the way it cleans up and the fact that I don't have to take it out to dry. I took the carpet out day one and never looked back.

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@SoFla David you can eliminate that blister by popping it with a thumb tack or push pin or exacto knife. Simply press the pin through the center of the air bubble and remove. Then allow the air to escape on its own. Don't press down with your hand yet. You can puncture the material several times if you want to accelerate the process. Once the air has escaped then you can press down the material and it will stick permanently.

This happens when air is trapped underneath the pad when installing coupled with the glue outgassing. We see it regularly on installs and have never seen any issues once we've done the steps outlined below.

@ncnmra you can use simple green full strength if you like. The only thing we dilute is bleach. We use 50/50 bleach water mix. Also you can use full strength degreasers like purple power and Kaboom if you have oily spots you're trying to remove.

If any area starts to come up a dab of super glue is all you need to tack back down the area that has released. If you feel you need to replace the material you can contact SeaDek on kits that were bought from SeaDek and get their input on whether or not the issue is something they can warranty or if you need to purchase replacements.

ncnmra

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@SoFla David you can use simple green full strength if you like. The only thing we dilute is bleach. We use 50/50 bleach water mix. Also you can use full strength degreasers like purple power and Kaboom if you have oily spots you're trying to remove.

If any area starts to come up a dab of super glue is all you need to tack back down the area that has released. If you feel you need to replace the material you can contact SeaDek on kits that were bought from SeaDek and get their input on whether or not the issue is something they can warranty or if you need to purchase replacements.
@JetBoatPilot, sorry: to clarify, I meant that it is not a warranty issue at all, it is a very small "tear" in one spot (a "gouge"), with the nicked material still attached. I don't want to tear the material off, since it perfectly fits the pit, but I don't want to leave it just hanging because it will invariably get torn off by accident. So I was wondering what to use to glue it back down into place. Again, we are talking an almost microscopic spot (about 1/8"). Realize I'm being obsessive ;)

Craig

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Hate to say it because I like the idea of the product but I wouldn't put seadek down again. We installed it in our first boat and never had a problem, worked wonderfully. Recently installed it in our new boat and it looks like the mats shrunk and left the adhesive as the mat shrank. The edges are peeling and curling up on some of the new mats. We love the feel and look of the mats, don't get me wrong, but 2-3 months in the boat and I expected more.

TechRider

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Regal
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I am on my 4th season and looks like new. I would recommend it to anyone who hates dealing with wet carpet and the maintenance. Kids go swimming and jump off the bow and stern and get everything wet which is no problem with the SeaDek. It's nice when things get wet to cool your feet off in the hot sun.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
So let's see some install pics!

TechRider

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Regal
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Here are some pics after 4 years

Seadek1.jpg Seadek2.jpg Seadek3.jpg Seadek4.jpg SeadekJump1.jpg

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Was that 4 years or 4 days? Sheesh. Those look practically new. Very nice! Oh, but I think I spotted one spec of dirt in the 2nd picture... (LOL!)

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I installed mine this spring, my wife saw it for the first time this weekend when she stepped into the boat, she actually talked about how much better it felt and how much of a difference it made the boat look. She was very skeptical back when I tried to tell her about it during the group buy, so I got it anyway and installed it, but she mentioned it several times while we were out on the lake....it is unusual for her to compliment things that I do to the boat (if she even notices), the fact that she actually talked about it and mentioned it more than once says a lot!:)
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

TechRider

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Regal
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
One thing I might mention is I do ask people not to wear shoes with deep treads as that can cause scuffing. I do let people wear flip flops or boat shoes. The material can get soft in the sun and I try to avoid problems.

I also have a Naked Feet Only sticker on the stern as well. I try to keep things clean but kids will be kids. Spills clean up easy with just some water and a rag or light brush. It's closed cell material so nothing should soak in. So far soda, wet chips, mustard, wet Oreo's have not caused any problems.

The only negative the material gets soft when hot. So do not drop a sharp heavy object on this stuff when it's hot. It will cut right through it leaving a mark. I also put my cover poles to the side on the fiberglass not straight down on the Seadek when towing or storing the boat. If you do it will leave an impression on the material. Again it gets soft when hot and with a black cover in the sun it gets hot under the cover.

As long as you know that and plan for it the one issue is not a problem and the pros of this stuff far out weighs the issue for me.

Damsroy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm having same issues as @SoFla David.
Installed brand new seadeck from Jetboatpilot in July last year and it started in Aug/Sept with a small blister/bubble on the piece that is covering the gas tank hatch.

I believe i did everything properly. Boat was relatively new and deck clean and in perfect condition.

Boat just came out of winterizing and bubble is getting bigger especially when the mat is hit by the sun (I'm in CT so it is not very hot yet).

I tried the fix explained above by @JetBoatPilot to remove the air but the mat won't stick back. How can i glue this back. Rest of seadeck is in perfect condition and we like it. I reached out to JetBoatPilot customer service and waiting for them to get back to me.

IMG_8067.jpgIMG_8068.jpg

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
No issues! Sea Deck has held up fine for 5 years and still looks like new. Especially after a good scrubbing 🧽 with simple green.

Damsroy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What if you put a pin hole in the black part and let the air out
That is what i did. It doesn't change anything. There is no glue left underneath so the material won't stick to the deck.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
If you get the air out, it may be time for some glue that can be applied with a needle. I would think it would lay down with the air out. But glue with a needle applicator may be the ticket

Good luck

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
If you get the air out, it may be time for some glue that can be applied with a needle. I would think it would lay down with the air out. But glue with a needle applicator may be the ticket

Good luck
That's what I'd do. Pop the bubble with a pin and then use a small syringe to apply some adhesive. Its hard to imagine the glue not holding underneath though. Its applied evenly across the entire sheet. Unless when it was installed some of the adhesive was left behind on the masking.