• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Need long term review of SeaDek vs carpet

Chevyguy2021

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
What kind of "brush" does everyone use to clean their Sea Deck? I have some mild all purpose cleaner, is a "tire brush" acceptable or what works well and doesn't scuff the Sea Deck?

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
We like to use a stiff bristle boat brush and boat soap for normal cleaning.

Skysurfer2010

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Just traded in my 2012 with dark grey hydroteak installed in 2014. Still in perfect condition... no fading or flaking. I personally loved the smoother look of hydroteak over seadek and wish Will still sold it.

Sugarcharged

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Is seadeck the same material offered on the new 2020 195S?

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Is seadeck the same material offered on the new 2020 195S?
No factory pads on the 195S are Marine Mat. Similar to SeaDek but inferior when compared over the life of the product. SeaDek looks like new if cared for many many years into the future.

TimmyH

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Does Seadeck make snap in seadeck? Or do you have to glue it down....

Damsroy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That's what I'd do. Pop the bubble with a pin and then use a small syringe to apply some adhesive. Its hard to imagine the glue not holding underneath though. Its applied evenly across the entire sheet. Unless when it was installed some of the adhesive was left behind on the masking.
Thank you @JetBoatPilot. What kind of glue would you use?

Skysurfer2010

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
No factory pads on the 195S are Marine Mat. Similar to SeaDek but inferior when compared over the life of the product. SeaDek looks like new if cared for many many years into the future.
That stinks. I assume that goes for the 242SE as well then. I was told those mats are seadek and OK to get wet without worrying about that mildew smell like carpets.

Is the rear transom marine mat also or seadek?

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
That stinks. I assume that goes for the 242SE as well then. I was told those mats are seadek and OK to get wet without worrying about that mildew smell like carpets.

Is the rear transom marine mat also or seadek?
All OEM mats are Marine Mat and I don't think they will stink when they get wet and then left to dry. They're made from closed cell foam like SeaDek.

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
SeaDek makes a snap down version but we don't sell it. The stick down is superior in many ways.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would probably do rubber cement, if you can get it into a syringe and under the mat...

Mark

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Turkey baster. ( is that spelled right?) small slit in the Seadek, inject glue (I agree with contact rubber cement) press down and should be good to go!

Tobes

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Semi review, short on time right now.
I’ve had seadek for about 4 years now. Let me say that I really like it. Much better than carpet, cooler, cleans up nicely even after hundreds of hours of use (more like thousands as the boat has a couple hundred running hours).

that said, it’s far from a flawless product. I am on the fence whether to order another kit in the fall. It shrinks in extreme heat. I boat in Vegas at Lake Mead/Mojave. Easily reached 115-120 on the hot day’s and we have 100+ 100 degree days in the summer. All of my seadek has shrunk a bit and leaves a residual glue line around it. Kind of disappointing really. also, I too have had the issue with bubbles which usually come up on the really hot days on the swim platform. My lower platform had major issues and I just took it off. Between the heat and the water, it did not hold up but for about 2.5 years. Inside, it’s been good besides the shrinking. I keep my boat garages which stays under 90 degrees so it’s not kept in the sun. Maybe the swim platform “bumps” caused a sealing issue on the lower platform but it kind of sucks to pay that kind of money for something that didn’t last long.

overall I’m happy with it but I really don’t know. I’ve got a carpet set so I may go back to carpet next year.

dan144k

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We installed our seadek from jetboatpilot in 2015. It is holding up great. We trailer and use the boat probably 20 times a year. We do a lot of water sports and anchor swimming in the river, inside of boat always wet. Huge improvement over the carpet. No smell and dries quickly. Also less slippery than the wet carpet was. One the best improvements we have done. Holding up well. Well worth the money for boating happiness

Ninja128

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
No issues! Sea Deck has held up fine for 5 years and still looks like new. Especially after a good scrubbing 🧽 with simple green.
Curious what you are scrubbing with? towel/rag, sos pad, etc. i'm finding my deck hard to get clean.

BlackandTan

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Now 6 years in with my SeaDek and it's still looks great. The area that gets the most traffic may look slightly dull as compared to new, but very slightly. I have one very small mat that has a 3/8" split on the edge, which i plan to replace, all others are perfect still. I had the boat serviced a few years ago and the mechanic left his boots on and got a lot of black shoe stains on the mats. I used simple green and a scrub brush with good results. I also bought a SeaDek cleaner at the boat show last year and it seems to work well, but for the most part if they get anything on them I can easily clean them with a damp cloth.

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Semi review, short on time right now.
I’ve had seadek for about 4 years now. Let me say that I really like it. Much better than carpet, cooler, cleans up nicely even after hundreds of hours of use (more like thousands as the boat has a couple hundred running hours).

that said, it’s far from a flawless product. I am on the fence whether to order another kit in the fall. It shrinks in extreme heat. I boat in Vegas at Lake Mead/Mojave. Easily reached 115-120 on the hot day’s and we have 100+ 100 degree days in the summer. All of my seadek has shrunk a bit and leaves a residual glue line around it. Kind of disappointing really. also, I too have had the issue with bubbles which usually come up on the really hot days on the swim platform. My lower platform had major issues and I just took it off. Between the heat and the water, it did not hold up but for about 2.5 years. Inside, it’s been good besides the shrinking. I keep my boat garages which stays under 90 degrees so it’s not kept in the sun. Maybe the swim platform “bumps” caused a sealing issue on the lower platform but it kind of sucks to pay that kind of money for something that didn’t last long.

overall I’m happy with it but I really don’t know. I’ve got a carpet set so I may go back to carpet next year.
There is a chance if you upgrade to new SeaDek you won't see the shrink issue again. There has been a new development which helps with dimensional stability and the shrink problem may be gone or at least greatly diminished.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
SeaDek makes a snap down version but we don't sell it. The stick down is superior in many ways.
Will, I gave you one of my very few dislikes!

I'd love to give you my money for an interior snap in set for my 08 SX230. Between the screws in my floor panel, and my aversion to gluing stuff down, I'm interested. Happy to be a guinea pig over here...Maybe I can get one for the group buy in November if you change your mind! I have the exterior set on my boat, just need the snap in for the inside.

(And $1300 for Marine Mat seems a little too steep for my blood)