• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Never giving up

Ottoman711

Reaction score
Boat Make
Baja
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Sorry for all the posts and I hope this isn't against the rules but I made a video on YouTube in hopes someone can help me.

Ottoman711

Reaction score
Boat Make
Baja
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
What do you mean by "lower unit"?

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That was bronze_10 that asked about the lower unit. Maybe he means the lower carb?

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am assuming this has a jet pump on it some where. Maybe the impeller is rubbing or a bearing is bad... Adding drag so that it pulls the engine down when at idle..

Ottoman711

Reaction score
Boat Make
Baja
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
That would most definitely end the season for me. I'm starting to lean back towards the plugs again. Idk if you saw my other threads but I made a rookie mistake and flushed the engine with water. This morning I took the plugs out and they still look and feel wet, as in water, not fuel. So maybe it's just having a hard time sparking at low rpms.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That could be true too.... Did you try increasing idle to keep it running? If it still has water you need to run it like you stole it for a while to burn all the water out anyway.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Wherw would the water be coming from? Taking the plugs out and tuning over the motor should push most of the water out. Some people spray solvents into the plug holes to get rid of the remaining water but u have to be careful not to wash down cylinder walls.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Maybe some water left over in crankcase area from the flood?

Ottoman711

Reaction score
Boat Make
Baja
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Wherw would the water be coming from? Taking the plugs out and tuning over the motor should push most of the water out. Some people spray solvents into the plug holes to get rid of the remaining water but u have to be careful not to wash down cylinder walls.
I made the rookie mistake of using a water hose and not starting the engine first. Spent three hours flushing the motor after.

Ottoman711

Reaction score
Boat Make
Baja
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Maybe some water left over in crankcase area from the flood?
Very well could be, I hope the hell not tho. Really don't want to do a tear down until after the season.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
If there is a slight trace of water you need to run it so the heat will boil all of the water out. Keep it running on the hose and get it up to temp. How long can you keep it running by helping it out?

Ottoman711

Reaction score
Boat Make
Baja
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I'm not sure. That's the catch tho, I can't put water to the engine unless it stays running. The only way I could keep it running is to actually put it into the lake and that's an hour each way just to chance it.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Get you a shut off valve that will mount to your hose. Get the engine running and ( have the water at the spigot on ) then turn on the water ( at the shut off valve ). If it dies then you can immediately shut the water to the engine off.

Ottoman711

Reaction score
Boat Make
Baja
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I have one, just nurvous lol ugh. Guess I have no choice

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Also when you say you cleaned the carb, did you buy a complete rebuild kit? Don't get a cheap kit and be sure to replace the main and pilot jets with new ones. Sometimes you cannot get the junk out. The main nozzle is something else to look at. It should have some cross holes in it that people forget to clean.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Ottoman711

Reaction score
Boat Make
Baja
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I'm about to say screw it and adjust the cam lever enough to grab idle and assume it's just an old boat with old parts...

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Perfect is the enemy of good.

Get it running, research more later. You can have both