• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Never giving up

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I bet there is still something in the idle circuit. It revs too good after idle for there not to be.

MBrown

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I would bet that your idle jets are clogged, and the only way it idles is when it gets enough fuel when opening up the butterfly’s on the carbs. It sure sounds good when it is revved up.

Ottoman711

Reaction score
Boat Make
Baja
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Random thought; could it be the adjustment on the throttle lever itself? Because I did mess with that.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
ummmm yes

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Generally Idle is not controlled by the throttle levers.

Throttle plate should open all the way when at WOT, and return to issue speed when returned to the minimum throttle position.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
If the butterfly is all the way closed then it does have control over idle a little bit. I put my slides in my banshee carbs backwards one time and it wouldn't start to save it butt.

Ottoman711

Reaction score
Boat Make
Baja
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Hmm. May be on to something or just opening another can of worms. I do know wot the butterflies are flat but was thinking it's just enoough out of ranger to not idle. Also the butterflies don't actually start to move until the lever is pushed for way a few inches, I think that's just how they are designed tho

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
There is a reason it's called Wide Open...

Never seen one where that was not the case, but I'm no expert by any measure.

Ottoman711

Reaction score
Boat Make
Baja
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Did a ton more tinkering and nothing. Checked spark, checked fuel, checked oil pump, bleed all the lines and still no idle. Could there be a possibility the the propellers are creating drag causing it to die at idle? Side note: I just ordered a bunch of carb parts (bowl gaskets, bowl washers, and "pass-by" tubes. Also new orings for the oils pump, the diagphagms looked damn good tho.

Ottoman711

Reaction score
Boat Make
Baja
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Yes, also new fuel pump gasket as well .

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Have you tried spraying fuel or starter fluid while trying to idle? watching it idle with the spray would give you the confidence that the issue is fuel starvation. The bad is that starting fluid is very dry, and this being a 2 cycle there is always the risk of running too lean. Maybe a spray with a bit of fuel premixed with 2cycle oil can assist, instead of starting fluid.

Bottom line, it looks like the idle fuel is not being provided.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Have you tried spraying fuel or starter fluid while trying to idle? watching it idle with the spray would give you the confidence that the issue is fuel starvation. The bad is that starting fluid is very dry, and this being a 2 cycle there is always the risk of running too lean. Maybe a spray with a bit of fuel premixed with 2cycle oil can assist, instead of starting fluid.

Bottom line, it looks like the idle fuel is not being provided.

I agree with this. When I have to do this with 2 strokes I will just pour my 2 stroke mixture in a windex bottle and use that for the spray.