• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New 2011 242 Limited Owner - Questions?

kaczman

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Hi all,

Just picked up a beautiful 2011 Yamaha 242 Limited. Just a few quick questions:

Anything I should lookout for? Engines fire right up, hull and seats are in good condition. We just winterized it (changed oil, winterized the motors, pulled cushions to be reupholstered)

No fins on the end of the jet drives. Any suggestions?

Obviously being a Limited and not an "S" there is no wakeboard tower. Any suggestions on adding maybe a used one from an "S" or aftermarket replacements?

Im going to replace the speaker system. I keep reading the tweeters are mounted on the tower - I assume if you don't have an "S" there are no tweeters on this setup?

I pulled the oddly sized aquatic AV AQ-SPK7.5W speakers. It looks like the mounting cutout is the same for a 6.5" speaker to replace it with. I also read the that rear speakers are bridged together, so I'm assuming ill have to run new wiring form the old head unit to each speaker? Or just the speakers in the rear deck and swim platform?

Obviously in 2011 the only color available for a 242 limited was Yacht Blue. Anyone know where to get some touch up paint for the damaged areas?

The boat will be used for pleasure mainly on lake erie. Any suggestions and upgrades any members would like to share for a more enjoyable experience? I have to figure out a portapotty for the head area too.

Attachments

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Didnt you just purchase then sell an AR230 last month? And I think you said you had a marine dealership....would think you have plenty of resources :) What happened to the 230? Problems that caused you to dump it so soon? Mine is a 2016 242, so not sure I can give you any info since they have changed alot.

kaczman

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Yup. Sold it for $10,000 more than I paid on a whim. It was a flawless low hour boat, the purchaser is a great client of mine, which paid for the difference to a 242 Limited. We have plenty of resources, one of them being this forum.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Nice work. I just replied to your post on Facebook. Beautiful boat, but I am biased

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I hope that when you sell the 2011 you don't delete all your content that other members try to respond to your questions,

Your 2008 boat thread now is just "disregard" and your posts were deleted leading anyone searching for a topic not to see what your questions/comments were,

mike220022

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Man...can you imagine buying a boat from a marine dealership that doesnt even know where to get touch up paint for a boat??

mike220022

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Same guy that has a marine dealership yet has another thread here looking for black friday sales on wakeboard towers. If my parts guy ever asked me where he could get a deal on parts, I think Id lose my shit.

kaczman

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
It's no longer for sale. Get over it. Is that all this forum is a bunch of sour pusses trying to not be helpful and spiteful?

We've already sanded the entire boat down and sent the cushions out to be reupholstered. If you have nothing positive to contribute, grow up and stay off my thread. Real poor look for the community.

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I think the rub here is that you are portraying yourself as just a boat owner/user. But then you say your a dealer, but ask info that any dealer would have access too. Then this is the second boat you have purchased, insinuating that it was for your personal use, then in just a couple weeks time you sell it. If you are a wholesaler, or somebody who deals in buying, and reselling boats....not a problem. I think people on here just expect openness and honesty. Oh, and BTW....its NOT your thread and anybody who wants can contribute.

kaczman

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I said I own a marine mechanics shop. We dont sell boats. We don't sell boat parts. Look at our website. I've built two of my own custom boats. It was a members recommendation here via private message that I got the boat so cheap I could flip it and make a huge profit. I always wanted a 242 limited. I couldnt afford it. My budget was an 07-08 AR230. I sold the AR230 for Limited 242 money, which I have now. How in the world could it get more open and honest than that?

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Hmm, powersport flipper. Man after my own heart.

Yet, even though I could have banked 10-15k on our 242LS easily this summer, there are some things a guy just doesn't flip. Not when you get them setup exactly the way you want them. I will flip sleds and SXS all day any day. But not when it comes down to the family toy that my wife loves.

Good on you if that is all you did, was to upgrade the one you are keeping. But I understand everyone's gripe above.

Last edited:

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
If you were misjudged, my apologies. If you go back and read all your posts, for long time members who knew nothing about you, you have to admit that it raised some questions. Knowing the full story now, and BTW, we have no idea what your website is, all of this makes perfect sense. And great that you were able to buy a boat, flip it, make a profit to allow you to get the boat you really wanted. Based on that, I would personally like to hit the RESET button and say :Welcome:to our forum!!!

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Hi all,

Just picked up a beautiful 2011 Yamaha 242 Limited. Just a few quick questions:

Anything I should lookout for?
take a close look at the oil cooler bolts to see if any are missing heads or the coolers are leaking at all. This wasn’t a problem in the 2011s or as much of one As it was in the 2010s. Also take a look at the scupper at the end of the deck drain hose, it’s plastic and may be brittle, subject to cracking/leaking. There are SS options if you want or need to upgrade. If you start seeing a lot of water existing the drain after being on the water but not taking on water, consider plugging the anchor locker drain which is sometimes submerged when I’m traveling at no wake speeds. My boat has Over 400 on its engines and the coils started to fail last year, so I recommend anyone similarly situated carry at least one spare coil onboard.

Engines fire right up, hull and seats are in good condition. We just winterized it (changed oil, winterized the motors, pulled cushions to be reupholstered)

No fins on the end of the jet drives. Any suggestions? There are a lot of posts on this and I I don’t want to Open up a can of worms but here is what I think. There are two brands to choose from jet boat pilots thrust vectors and cobra jets cobra fins. Both are designed to help assist low speed / no wake speed Steering control. The cobra fins may be set to stay deployed at high speeds whereas the thrust vectors cannot be (at least that is what I recall). These are comparably priced. If you need or want more low speed control in reverse cobra jet offers supplemental smaller fins called fangs. JBP offers thrust diverters. The latter are much more expensive than the former. If you are into wale sports you may want to look at the thrust vectors which are more easily compatible with other JBP is wake enhancement products. That stated, I have cobra fins and may be replacing my thrust diverters with fangs sometime in the near future.

Obviously being a Limited and not an "S" there is no wakeboard tower. Any suggestions on adding maybe a used one from an "S" or aftermarket replacements? I would look for a used stock Tower, preferably from a 2013 to 2014 since those towers fold. If you go stock you should have less problems with finding boat covers that fit.

Im going to replace the speaker system. I keep reading the tweeters are mounted on the tower - I assume if you don't have an "S" there are no tweeters on this setup? This is correct.

I pulled the oddly sized aquatic AV AQ-SPK7.5W speakers. It looks like the mounting cutout is the same for a 6.5" speaker to replace it with. You should be able to replace the stock speakers with 6.5 or 7.5 units without doing any new cutting but may need to drill some new mounting holes. I also read the that rear speakers are bridged together (this is correct, the cockpit speakers and swim deck speakers were bridged on my av powered system), so I'm assuming ill have to run new wiring form the old head unit to each speaker? Not necessarily, you can just run new leads to two of the four speakers, the wiring is easy to trace. Or just the speakers in the rear deck and swim platform? Exactly, we’ll o would keep the stock lines running to the swim deck and lead new lines to the cockpit speakers (they are easier to get to).

Obviously in 2011 the only color available for a 242 limited was Yacht Blue. Anyone know where to get some touch up paint for the damaged areas? I’d check with a local dealer, they should have a perfect match

The boat will be used for pleasure mainly on lake erie. Any suggestions and upgrades any members would like to share for a more enjoyable experience? A larger Bimini if the stock unit on your 242s is as small as those on the 242s (mine used to cover the pilot and copilot). Upgrade to seadeck or hydro turf, much easier to maintain, less apt to stain and/or stink. Get a head unit with blue tooth and remotes as well as an onboard charger. The head unit is cool but if your tall vertically or horizontally using it could be challenging. My wife and her friends use it more than the boys and I. After almost 10 years it’s only seen liquid waste. Thank God.

I have to figure out a portapotty for the head area too. There are several available, I went with a thetford with metal mounting brackets.

If you trailer your boat a lot consider adding boat buckles, trailer guides and a better winch for your for your trailer. I also put a ramp n clamp on my to make power loading better for me.

If the boats engines are just too loud for you and you can’t or don’t want to overcome it with a better stereo search this form I’m for sound absorbing/deadening solutions.

Finally, unless you don’t mind eating cold food or buying meals on the water get a small grill and mount for it.

Congrats on and good luck with the new (to you boat).
[/QUOTE]
I have a 2010 242 ls that I got used in 2012. My responses to your questions and comments are embedded above. For what it’s worth I think you came on a little strong as well but it’s easy for you,
Ior anyone to misinterpret / misread all or any of the responses to a thread.

Last edited:

kaczman

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Glad we can get off the wrong foot and get started. I plan on building this boat just like my previous 2. I've already westanded one side and corrected all the paint. The difference is incredible as shown. Took all the cushions out and spent some time rehabbing the ones I can save, and we will be recovering every one on the swim platform. Looking forward to adding a tower, and a complete speaker system/gps with a camera on the engines and bilge. New stickers for the side to modernize her a little bit. Currently trying to decide if the Reborn Launch tower is going to be sufficient, and if we can make the addon bimini with a 88" max width worth or if we have to go a different route.

Attachments

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Thats and incredible difference. What did you use to wet sand? Before my Yamaha, I had an older boat that looked alot like this one. I tried all kinds of polish with mixed results but never like this. Do you use any polish/wax/sealant after sanding? It looks great.

kaczman

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
1000/1500/2000/3000 wetsand using a dual action sander with interface backing pad for wetsanding paper then any type of compound for boats via rotary polisher with wool pad.

Then polished with Rupes Bigfoot 21mm long throw w/ Rupes yellow polishing pad and any high quality polish

Then sealed with meguiars flagship wax

Will have some more pictures when I get a chance.

kaczman

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
As with most of these Limiteds, the rear seats were toast. I wish I would have taken pictures of how bad they were, but rest assured the foam/padding was gone and they looked like trash. I also had one seat that had a big rip through it that we had to match and reupholster.

The new seat is on the left, the old seat on the right. I think we got quite close.

20210210_154729.jpg20210210_154733.jpg

But the real star of the show is the new rear seats - all 6 of them. I couldn't be happier with how they turned out. When we ripped these seats apart, they literally had the thinnest foam like material I've ever seen. Think rat's fur. So we ripped them apart, and added super dense 1-2" thick foam to replace them, then restitched the new material and I love the look.

20210210_155016.jpg20210210_155019.jpg20210210_155022.jpg20210210_155026.jpg

My IPD graphics came in. Ill snag a picture of them but I think they are going to turn out great with the dark blue hull.

media-1608293408266-Dec_5_2020_4_06_PM.png

Still trying to find info on an aftermarket tower - and then comes the electronics and radio system.

adamncincy

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@kaczman did you ever have a chance to upload a photo with vinyl installed? I'm also looking at IPD

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@kaczman did you ever have a chance to upload a photo with vinyl installed? I'm also looking at IPD
It would have been interesting to see if the sizing was different than his 2011. As the layout was placed on a newer style 242 hull. I'm not sure if the rub rail down the side were at the same dimension as the 2010-2014 242 models. Maybe they figured that out during install.

kaczman

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Going on this week.

It would have been interesting to see if the sizing was different than his 2011. As the layout was placed on a newer style 242 hull. I'm not sure if the rub rail down the side were at the same dimension as the 2010-2014 242 models. Maybe they figured that out during install.
They have it cut to fir 2011, so we'll see.