• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New AR 210 Higgins Lake Michigan, first oil change

John Baumer

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
As a first time boat owner, this site has been an excellent wealth of information. I bought the AR 210 last fall and put it in the water on May 5. I am very pleased so far, especially considering my wife was insisting on a pontoon. That would have been brutal! It's time for the post break in oil change on the hoist. The owners manual shows just changing oil and not the filter. What do you folks think? I bought the oil extractor suggested by a thread on this site. Do you people recommend marking the tank, to show how much oil was removed? Is a typical boat lift going to give me proper dip stick readings as far as being level? Any suggestions regarding oil? Any and all suggestions or tips are appreciated. Thanks!

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
check out our FAQ tab at the top of the page for great oil change instructions,

I would change the filter just because it's only an extra $20. and it will give you piece of mind,

don't worry about the dip stick level when refilling, put in only what you take out, I always make sure I leave it a little low and check the oil the next time I go out after the engine is warmed up on the water and top it off correctly.

Dave Baran

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Other
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I will second on measuring the oil you take out and only put exactly that much back in. Never had a problem myself, but have heard of others who over filled it and had many issues with the motors afterwards. With an extractor you can pour it into a measured pitcher and get an accurate reading. Then mark the side of the extractor for the next time. It should stay pretty much the same for future oil changes. But whatever happens, don't pour a whole gallon of oil in there. It will be overfilled for sure.