• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

new cobra super ultimate on a 2018 19 foot yamaha sent to me by a recent customer

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Very good

mwalker4

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I drool anytime I look at the new 2019 reverse nozzles. The new Yamaha design is brilliant. Adds lateral thrust with essentially no loss of reverse.

There is no reverse loss with Cobra fins, zero. Fangs enhance the reverse somewhat, the dual setup (two Fangs per nozzle more than one).
Made my decision, time to pull the trigger. I really wanted the TVW's to work for tubers, but I think I will wait a couple of years to see what long term reliability impact they have. The super ultimates seem proven and flexible and come with trusted recommendations.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Made my decision, time to pull the trigger. I really wanted the TVW's to work for tubers, but I think I will wait a couple of years to see what long term reliability impact they have. The super ultimates seem proven and flexible and come with trusted recommendations.
It would really be great if Yamaha or one of the vendors here built a real diverter, with real trim and lateral thrust. But that seems unlikely in the near future.

For now, I would strongly recommend Cobras.

JBP LTs (Lateral Thrusters) are very attractive and I would LOVE to have more lateral control at times. That said I have yet to find myself in a situation where I would feel hapless with my full Cobra setup, steering is taut and precise and I can take my hands off the wheel and continue riding strait even in fairly rough water, which is great. I hold on to the wheel with both hands in tight turns, the G-forces can hurt you.

I recently been launching on a very long and wide but very shallow ramp for few days in a row - it was the North ramp in Wahweap, Lake Powell, UT (my Land Cruiser which has fairly high ground clearance had the exhaust and the whole rear bumper completely burried under the water while the trailer wheels were still not submerged - that's how shallow the ramp was). It was no problem, but I needed to use all of my reverse thrust to get off the trailer without resorting to any gimmics. To me this is a good illustration why I would not want to compromise strait reverse thrust, even for an added benefit of lateral stern control.

The 2019 nozzle design does not compromise strait reverse thrust. I'm not sure I want to spend 2k or so for the (twin) upgrade right now, I'm really happy with my setup and I spent a lot of time porting my pumps and intake. But if I do upgrade in the future, this would be the way to go. I would still buy Cobras for control at speed (especially with no thrust, when trying to turn while slowing down), unless something else comes along that looks like a better design.

--