• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New Diesel Tow Rig...well, new to me, uh, soon to be new to me...

BravoMike

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@txav8r Congratulations on the new "BIG" toy! That will be a good looking setup for sure.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Thanks Bob, last minute notes before we go check her out!

utahrd

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yes, 9AM tomorrow, financing done, insurance done...full coverage at what it would cost me to replace it, and get this...$88/month! I will take pics!

@utahrd , the shuttle sounds good! I don't mind the walk down, it is the walk back up that sounds bad! I have to get reservations for the RV park there, and any place in-between for the trip. Also a marina slip. I would love to slip at Antelope, and save half of that washing machine ride each day. I guess I can keep my fingers crossed that the cut is open, but I won't plan on it, not much snow out there this year, bet is isn't open in September. But it won't matter, we will have a blast. Now, about a handheld VHF...will that work or do you have to have a mounted unit with antenna? I know there is not cell towers up the lake.
You wont need reservations for the trip there, as none of the little RV parks roadside ever fill. You will want a reservation for Wahweap though. You get a discount at the marina slip rental for staying in the RV park of about 20% off. With regard to VHF, A handheld is probably sufficient if you are planning for a 1 time visit to Powell, but, knowing you, I think you will want a mounted unit. The cost of a good, floating, waterproof, submersible handheld is around 85 bucks, and the cost of a good mounted unit is about $120 bucks. add 30 to 50 bucks for a 6ft antenna. The difference between 6 watts and 25 watts of broadcast power is significant. Also, you have canyon walls effectively obstucting your handheld signal at 5 watts. There will be enough people in Wahweap at the south side of the lake that you won't ever be abandoned from boat traffic, but I view VHF on Powell as essential safety gear. Spend a little more and get the mounted unit for peace of mind. In addition, now that you have a motorhome, your habits may become similar to mine and you may decide to plunge into the pacific. The world (well, North America at least) is your oyster, VHF is cheap insurance.

There is actually very good Verizon wireless coverage around the south side of Powell. If memory serves, I can get decent signal anywhere int he main channels from around bouy 1 to maybe buoy 25 (i can be wrong), but I remember streaming Pandora in the channel for a long time and remarking how amazing Verizon was...just like the commercial. backs of canyons though, you have bupkis.

JT

utahrd

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Oh Yeah, one more thing....I am sure lots of people will chime in on their favorite app, or GPS unit, or road atlas. I personally am a huge fan of the "AllStays" apps for the smartphone. There is one called Allstays camp and RV that I think is amazing. It overlays every RV campsite, state park, national park, truck stop, fuel stop, etc over google maps,rv repair sites, links to reviews, prices, phone numbers etc. I am sure it is less than 10 bucks and is available for ios and android. It has been the single most useful app I have found for on the road identification of places to spend the night, fuel up, or repair. It also shows the location of every costco, samsclub,walmart,cabelas,basspro, etc, etc. I also like the features of the mapquest app better than google maps for smartphone nav with waypoints etc.

www.allstays.com

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Thank you so much for all the info @utahrd ! I hate the idea of an antenna on the boat at this point. But I know I will have at least a handheld for powell.

I have to start making some reservations I know...but I have been busy arranging for accommodations!
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
NIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICE!

Congrats, @txav8r !

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Now you and Chester have a place to go when the boss kicks you out for the day!

Looks great @txav8r

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
We parked her on the drive, leveled her, hooked up 110 (all I have so far), opened all the slides, grabbed a bottle of wine and chester, and sat around and texted everyone! With the stereo playing. UGH...now I have to upgrade the stereo in the MH! It is indeed a nice bus.

Boat Crazy

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sweeeeeet! Would like to see a picture when you hook the boat up to her. The smiles on your and Clara's face show your emotion. Congrats.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I really liked seeing the excitement in Clara's eyes myself! Thank God I learned long ago not to show much concern or emotion, because sometimes I have plenty! But my excitement certainly overshadows my concern about all the things that can go wrong. LOL...on the way home from the dealer with it, I kept asking myself, wtf is that noise? Is it supposed to be making that noise? It is actually too damn quiet and you just hear every little thing! It is so quiet, you hear the a/c condenser come on as it is in the dash, and the compressor is back at the engine, in the back of the coach. Those air brakes and suspension are GREAT, as well as taking care of a diesel. Thanks @Boat Crazy we were a tad giddy.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
WOW, Mel sorry I'm late to the party. I just saw this topic and enjoyed the read so far. Congrats on the new toy. Looks awesome and sounds like you found a tereffic deal. There's so many incredible systems on RV's like that,I'm sure you'll be busy making checklists for weeks to come. ;).

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Thanks! LOL @itsdgm , it has a checklist that comes up on the drivers information screen...and you need a checklist! Too much to leave to chance, forgetting the simplest things are costly! I don't know how folks drive those buses the way you use a motorhome without a good flow or checklist. I forgot to stow the TV antenna after I was putting the slides in last night. It is easy to forget. Jody, the tech that did our demo, suggested to Clara while I was doing something else, to get a red flag, like I already do with my shore power connection on the boat in the barn. When the charger leads are hooked up, there is a clip with a flag that says "Charger" on the trailer tongue pin. It keeps me from hooking to the trailer and yanking it out of the barn without disconnecting it. I see a checklist as a good thing to have in the MH too. I have so many projects now I don't know what to do first!

Boat Crazy

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Checklists are great. It will all become natural to you in time. Double and triple check, walk around twice before moving. Do not forget to look up and down. Enjoy.

BravoMike

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Looks great @txav8r! Next time I am up at Ray Roberts, may have to give you a call and come check out in person.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
@utahrd , I have spent the last 3 days doing "service". I was really wishing you had the same rig so I could get some feedback from you. I did get plenty of input and help from the Discovery Owners Association Inc. eGroups. They have a forum page but it isn't as active, so doing everything via email is not anything like our forum. And I can't seem to keep a record of what I want to reference.

I don't know about the V10, but this big Cummins Turbo 350 holds about 4.5 gallons of both engine oil as well as transmission fluid. And the trans is Allisons TranSynd synthetic stuff...not cheap! So catching and recycling that much oil is a challenge...and my driveway shows it, literally. I got the engine oil/filter, trans fluid/filters/seals/gaskets (two internal), generator oil/oil filter/air filter, and the air dryer desiccant cartridge changed. I have the fuel filter and fuel water separator filter to go, the supplier gave me the wrong separator, so I have to exchange next week. The rigs air cleaner filter as well as the coolants were changed last year, so I don't have to do them for a couple years. I have also decided I have to buy tires, even though they look fine. I guess tire manufacturers as well as the RV industry doesn't recommend running any tire past the 7 year point. I will have to take the rig into the selling dealer as they had a couple parts to replace, including the fabric on the big slide out topper.

I am headed to the auto show today and we are getting info for when we replace Clara's Prius. It will be hard to give up that fuel economy...this coming from a guy with a MH! The previous owner said he got 8.5-9 mpg all the time towing his GM Acadia, so I am expecting about that towing the boat to Powell. Anyway, making progress and open to guidance!

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Great looking rig! Congratulations.