• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New from Tampa Bay...need advice on Yamaha SX

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Go used. Twin engine. Bulletproof boats. Plenty of sweet used twin engines available. Save your money; for 22-25K you can have a loaded 230 2007-2009 vintage and you will never look back. Browse this great forum as well as the other one. Lots for sale in coming months, except it is now a seller's market..best time to buy used is OCtober- Jan. Cmon. look at this right around the corner from you! Blows a single engine away!

http://yamahajetboaters.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=109&t=70731

EmeryZ28

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
is buying a new boat similar to a car when it comes to MSRP....for instance found a new 2016 AR192 that I really like, MSRP is 34,799. With it being a year old, is it reasonable for a dealer to go down to 30,799?? or do they usually sell very close to MSRP?

Trevor Shipman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
210's are out of my price range.....so I am going to stick o the 190/195 debate. Leaning toward 195SX....I don't see my oldest being into wake boarding until he is atleast 10 and that is 6 years out. If we love boating so much maybe at that time we can upgrade to an AR210 or equivalent of that come 2023!
For frame of reference I bought my 2006 AR210 for 17k about 3 years ago. We got really lucky as the boat was kept inside and really had no wear on it at all for the age. For reliability, they have the MR1 motor in them which is one of,if not the, most reliable motors out there. All rental companies use skis with the MR1 motor in it. Point of my story is, you should be able to get a used AR210 for the price, if not cheaper than a new 19'. I know what boat fever is like and in your head what's and extra 2ft anyways? About the same about as an extra inch on my man-hood... a huge difference.

Buy your second boat first.

Trevor Shipman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
^ thank you that helps. My only concern is in photos it looks like the AR tower boats have less Bimini sun coverage
Look at my profile pic, great way for extra coverage... obv not while the boat is in motion.

ThatJeepGuy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I agree with Jlcj7, the Bimini coverage will be smaller but comparable. Are you sure you want the extra "captains" chair instead of the bench that comes with the AR?

You'll also be wanting to add a second battery. This could be negotiated into the sale.

It's unfortunate that the 210 is out of your price range as the attributes are tremendous in my opinion. It's not just 2 extra feet. The 19' doesn't have access to the radio at the helm, no Yamaha connext touch screen, only 1 standard battery, no hinged seating (THIS MATTERS), and a second motor in case something happens (suck up a ski rope/crab trap). And I'm sure there's more...

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
210's are out of my price range.....so I am going to stick o the 190/195 debate. Leaning toward 195SX....I don't see my oldest being into wake boarding until he is atleast 10 and that is 6 years out. If we love boating so much maybe at that time we can upgrade to an AR210 or equivalent of that come 2023!
All I can tell you is everyday I want my boat to be 2' longer (other than storing the boat). With that said I have a hard time justifying the 195 price over a 190 (also keep in mind with the 195 I believe you have to run premium fuel).

EmeryZ28

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I agree with Jlcj7, the Bimini coverage will be smaller but comparable. Are you sure you want the extra "captains" chair instead of the bench that comes with the AR?

You'll also be wanting to add a second battery. This could be negotiated into the sale.

It's unfortunate that the 210 is out of your price range as the attributes are tremendous in my opinion. It's not just 2 extra feet. The 19' doesn't have access to the radio at the helm, no Yamaha connext touch screen, only 1 standard battery, no hinged seating (THIS MATTERS), and a second motor in case something happens (suck up a ski rope/crab trap). And I'm sure there's more...
I am open to the AR, as I have learned there are other benefits than just towing a wakeboarder, I also like their color schemes better.

I do like the idea of a touch screen and radio controls on the rear while swimming. what is hinged seating?

with the dual motors, that just seems like overkill? double the gas and maintenance and I looked at the specs and top speed and acceleration isn't better than the single motor 19's

EDIT: just looked and the 210 does not have rear radio controls, have to move up to the 212 for that and that takes price way too high for me. Like I said before, I was initially planning on a pair of jet ski's a 2 and a 3 seater and coming in under 20 for the pair. After discussion we decided a small jet boat was a better idea. So I am not concerned with the size and I am just looking for an "Xl Jet ski" that can fit my wife and 2 boys and play some tunes. I appreciate the honest feedback but the 21 is out of the question. so the decision now is 190 or 192/195 and SX or AR.

Last edited:

jlcj7

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am open to the AR, as I have learned there are other benefits than just towing a wakeboarder, I also like their color schemes better.

I do like the idea of a touch screen and radio controls on the rear while swimming. what is hinged seating?

with the dual motors, that just seems like overkill? double the gas and maintenance and I looked at the specs and top speed and acceleration isn't better than the single motor 19's
I dont think dual motors necessarily equals double fuel... I have MR1 (not HO) engines... same engines as a used AR210 would have...according to boat test, the top speed is 46.6 while burning 16.4 gallons/hr. The best cruise speed is 31.1mph while getting 3.98 miles per hour (for a range of 180 miles)

A SX195 has a single engine (1812cc, Supercharged and High Output engine)... Boat test has a top speed of 52.3mph while burning 20.4 gallons/hr. The best cruise speed is 24.4mph getting 3.63 miles per hour for a (range of 98 miles...)

I know that is lots of numbers, but what i get out of it is that 2 engines vs 1 engine (especially if different engines) doesn't equal double the fuel burn... You will have to change oil and plugs in two engines vs. one, but i would take the comfort of 2 engines vs. 1 for that trade off...

jlcj7

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am not sure where you are located (except somewhere near gulf coast), but as an example... new SX195 MSPR is roughly $33,000... Here is a 2014 AR210 with less than 50 hours for slightly less $32,500 (not local to you, but there are similar deals everywhere)... Also, in my opinion they are way high on price... NADA has average retail for this boat at $29,000

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2014-yamaha-ar210-102991902

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Adding a wired or wireless remote is not hard to do as long as they make them for the head unit. The cost is under $200 new and a lot less used.

I don't have a 190 or 195 with the 1.8 liter engines but had waverunners with 140 and 160 hp 1 liter engines (non ho and Ho) there was only a 20 hp difference but the difference in acceleration was very noticeable and the ho had a better top speed as well.

Gas wise you may burn a little more with the 195 and you may need to use premium because of the super charger but I think you would have used more gas by going with two PWCs instead.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
New vs used is a tough and long debate. Boats are not like cars in build quality, more like homes... There is always something at the beginning, and the dealer already has your money. For this, and the cost savings, I buy mine used. Worth considering, even if it's just to reaffirm you are making the right choice. I got a 2008 sx230 for 16.5k from Florida with less than 100 hours last year. The interior was shot, but engines seem in pretty decent shape. I saved a bunch of money to finance my upgrades and customizations.

Best of luck with your decision. My family has been boating for over 30 years, and 2 generations. I hope it's a bug I pass on to my kids. They certainly seem to get a kick out of it now.

Wake Turbulence

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We bought the SX190 brand new in 2014 for $25,599 and absolutely love it. It goes plenty fast and even with a boat of adults we can get skiers out of the water. We could have afforded a larger boat and are in the market for a cruiser now. But, I will never regret the decision to own an awesome boat! We had it paid off in two years with a good down payment.

We bought New because of the warranty and piece of mind knowing we did everything (good and bad).

Buying from the dealer since they charge the MSRP I had a spare tire and mount added for no charge. We also negotiated a custom snap on cover for no charge.

Last edited:

Carmen Marshall

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Get the SX195 - I just purchased this one as well. Haven't regretted it yet. As my first boat, I would rather go with a single engine for now to make sure I like the boating experience (I know I will love it). One engine also means less maintenance as a first time boat owner. The 210 and above series is larger but also a larger payment so do what you think you can afford. The 17' models have a new keel added to them to help with maneuvering easier in slower speeds. This is new for these jet boats. So I would definitely go with the 2017 over the 2016 models. Overall it should be a good choice for a first time boat owner. Best of luck!

EmeryZ28

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
may I asked how much you ended up paying for your sx195?

ttdelellis

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
We went in with the idea of buying the 24' but after talking to the sales guy (Mike @ Cycle Springs) we wound up with the SX192 and love it! However she is a gas pig! But no regrets! We boat out of Tarpon and have no problem getting to the islands and travel down to Indian Rocks for a nice ride! We have also towed her down to the Keys and had a blast and will be doing so again in June.... this was our 1st boat so we always said we could upsize if need be, but no need so far.
We also did the prepaid maintenance deal where they double what ever you give them. (EX pay $750 get $1500)
Good luck on what ever you do!

Drift Away

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We went in with the idea of buying the 24' but after talking to the sales guy (Mike @ Cycle Springs) we wound up with the SX192 and love it! However she is a gas pig! But no regrets! We boat out of Tarpon and have no problem getting to the islands and travel down to Indian Rocks for a nice ride! We have also towed her down to the Keys and had a blast and will be doing so again in June.... this was our 1st boat so we always said we could upsize if need be, but no need so far.
We also did the prepaid maintenance deal where they double what ever you give them. (EX pay $750 get $1500)
You tracking the island party at the north sand bar on the 29th?

EmeryZ28

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
thank you. There is an AR192 that I really like at Cycle Springs, going to head over there in about a week to see what they are willing to do for price on a leftover 2016.

ttdelellis

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
You tracking the island party at the north sand bar on the 29th?
ttdelellis
No.. whats the details? We haven't made it to the sand bar so far this year we have been going to Honeymoon Island and watching the dolphins with all their calves. They have been putting on some great shows! LOL

Drift Away

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
ttdelellis
No.. whats the details? We haven't made it to the sand bar so far this year we have been going to Honeymoon Island and watching the dolphins with all their calves. They have been putting on some great shows! LOL
Someone posted a facebook page about it. Its on the 29th of Apr at the Anclote sand bar. There will be bands and vendors. Its called the island party. Should be a good time. Gonna be a early morning on the water that day for sure