• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New from Tampa Bay...need advice on Yamaha SX

EmeryZ28

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
looking at a used 2014 AR 192 with only 60 hours. Looks to be mint condition, also has some extra lights installed and what appears to be a killer JL Audio sound system. looks like the 4 factory speakers have been replaced, a subwoofer and amp have been added and two tower speakers. seller says the speakers and lights(underwater) were about a $6,000 upgrade, seems a bit high to me. overall thinking of getting the boat for 30k. thoughts? too high or is the audio system upgrade worth it?

Drift Away

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
looking at a used 2014 AR 192 with only 60 hours. Looks to be mint condition, also has some extra lights installed and what appears to be a killer JL Audio sound system. looks like the 4 factory speakers have been replaced, a subwoofer and amp have been added and two tower speakers. seller says the speakers and lights(underwater) were about a $6,000 upgrade, seems a bit high to me. overall thinking of getting the boat for 30k. thoughts? too high or is the audio system upgrade worth it?
That sounda right in the ball park. The system and light might have been only $2500 or so but the install is what cost a ton for that kind of stuff

EmeryZ28

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
went to cycle springs Saturday, got a great deal on a 2017 AR195. Added the JL tower speakers and a nice premium Yamaha cover. Also got a 4 year warranty on the motor and 5 on the hull.. great place. pick it up Thursday! we are very excited!

Drift Away

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
went to cycle springs Saturday, got a great deal on a 2017 AR195. Added the JL tower speakers and a nice premium Yamaha cover. Also got a 4 year warranty on the motor and 5 on the hull.. great place. pick it up Thursday! we are very excited!
Con grats. Look forward to seeing you out at The Sandbar with it

EmeryZ28

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
after a couple test runs, planning on heading out to Three Rooker and so forth with my neighbors ( 4 jet skis)

cant wait! what are the best islands out there to anchor and hang out? looking for ones to go have some fun when its just the adults and of course ones that are kid friendly

Drift Away

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
after a couple test runs, planning on heading out to Three Rooker and so forth with my neighbors ( 4 jet skis)

cant wait! what are the best islands out there to anchor and hang out? looking for ones to go have some fun when its just the adults and of course ones that are kid friendly
North sand bar is the best mix out there . There are alot of us from this site that go out there

EmeryZ28

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
went out for our maiden voyage yesterday in the bay. Had a good time. Have some newbie questions.

What is the trick to anchoring? I wanted to anchor the boat facing away from the shore, then back it in for swimming off the back in about 4 feet of water. I could not get the anchor to catch and the boat just floated and dragged the anchor all over. I tried again at another location and it caught great, but I did nothing different, third spot with similar shallow sand bottom, same issue, anchor wouldn't catch.

Do you fog your engine after each use and how long do you flush out with fresh water with the hose hookup?

Chase Worthington

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Bunces Pass is also a great time if you wanted to go a little more south

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Make sure u have enough anchor line out or else the boat lifts the anchor up when it goes over waves....

u should only have to fog when u put the boat up for winter storage. There is a large debate over fogging or not.

As far as flushing make sure u start the engine first... then turn on water... when u r done turn off the water then the motor.. if water is running into the motor with out it runing the motor could fill with water.

EmeryZ28

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Tampa folk....few more questions for ya. Which resource to you find has the most accurate marine forecast for the stretch of shoreline from Clearwater up to the sandbar?

Also, say you are anchored at Three Rooker and you see a thunderstorm approaching, do you guys usually try to ride it out on the island or get back to the dock? I would assume being caught out on the open water would be the worst place to be?

tim h

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Trophy
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Many times those pop-up thunderstorms will be over land not at the islands.
Really depends on what the radar is showing. Wether to stay put or head in...
AND if there is lightening.

tim h

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Trophy
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Buoyweather
Sailflow
Windfinder
Noaa
Wunderground

Are a few wx sights I look at.

Below is from the map on this site.
I just clicked on the Tampa bay area.

http://www.weather.gov/tbw/tampabaymarineweather

GMZ853-191430- COASTAL WATERS FROM ENGLEWOOD TO TARPON SPRINGS FL OUT 20 NM- 340 AM EDT FRI MAY 19 2017

TODAY
EAST WINDS AROUND 15 KNOTS DIMINISHING TO 5 TO 10 KNOTS LATE IN THE MORNING, THEN BECOMING SOUTHEAST EARLY IN THE AFTERNOON THEN BECOMING WEST LATE IN THE AFTERNOON. SEAS 2 FEET. BAY AND INLAND WATERS A MODERATE CHOP. A SLIGHT CHANCE OF THUNDERSTORMS IN THE AFTERNOON.

TONIGHT
NORTHEAST WINDS AROUND 10 KNOTS THEN BECOMING EAST IN THE LATE EVENING AND OVERNIGHT. SEAS 2 FEET. BAY AND INLAND WATERS A LIGHT CHOP. A CHANCE OF SHOWERS AND A SLIGHT CHANCE OF THUNDERSTORMS IN THE EVENING, THEN A SLIGHT CHANCE OF SHOWERS AFTER MIDNIGHT.

SATURDAY EAST WINDS AROUND 10 KNOTS THEN BECOMING SOUTHWEST LATE IN THE AFTERNOON. SEAS 2 FEET. BAY AND INLAND WATERS A LIGHT CHOP. A SLIGHT CHANCE OF THUNDERSTORMS IN THE AFTERNOON.

SATURDAY NIGHT
SOUTHEAST WINDS AROUND 10 KNOTS THEN BECOMING EAST IN THE LATE EVENING AND OVERNIGHT. SEAS 2 FEET. BAY AND INLAND WATERS A LIGHT CHOP. A CHANCE OF SHOWERS AND A SLIGHT CHANCE OF THUNDERSTORMS.

SUNDAY
SOUTHEAST WINDS AROUND 10 KNOTS THEN BECOMING WEST AROUND 5 KNOTS LATE IN THE AFTERNOON. SEAS 2 FEET. BAY AND INLAND WATERS A LIGHT CHOP. A SLIGHT CHANCE OF THUNDERSTORMS IN THE AFTERNOON.

SUNDAY NIGHT NORTHWEST WINDS AROUND 5 KNOTS THEN BECOMING NORTH AROUND 5 KNOTS LATE IN THE EVENING, THEN BECOMING SOUTHEAST AFTER MIDNIGHT. SEAS 2 FEET OR LESS. BAY AND INLAND WATERS SMOOTH. A SLIGHT CHANCE OF THUNDERSTORMS.

MONDAY
SOUTHWEST WINDS AROUND 10 KNOTS. SEAS 2 FEET OR LESS. BAY AND INLAND WATERS A LIGHT CHOP. A SLIGHT CHANCE OF THUNDERSTORMS.

Last edited:

EmeryZ28

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
thank you! It is those t-storms that come out of nowhere that worry me, but if those are typically inland that is great. the local weather guys are pulling the 50%/40% chance of scattered/isolated storms for sat sunday. AKA they have no clue. aggravating forecast lol

tim h

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Trophy
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
If you plan your boating days around that "usual" afternoon thunderstorm you will rarely go out on the boat...
Keep a couple rain jackets on board if you do get rained on. maybe a large umbrella for the kiddo's as well.

EmeryZ28

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
very true. I am not all that worried, just need to break my wife out of her mom mentality ;)