• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New Member questions - 2020 AR190 Black

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My money spent is getting higher and higher as the days go on! This is getting ridiculous!
It is only the beginning! The neat thing is that you don't even know what you still need..... Stay tuned. I am at $3.6k and haven't done my speakers or trolling motor yet. Slap a $400 tube and a $700 wakeboard and $160 top notch wakeboard rope and you will start questioning life choices.

You will need the grill and the lilly pad

Crob83

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I ordered this one for my 2020 AR190 Black also.... 3.5in, I hope you are right :) I see some say they are using 4in also.
Mine is '18 195 but I can tell you it fits perfectly. Most people using the 4" have at least a 21 footer

Attachments

bleudyno

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I ordered this one for my 2020 AR190 Black also.... 3.5in, I hope you are right :) I see some say they are using 4in also.
Don’t worry, i just got mine today (ordered the 3.5”) and it fits just fine!

bleudyno

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I’m in the process of finding some a new wheel and tire setup so once I do, I’m going to need some recommendations too on what will work with our trailers.

cpthook

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I’m in the process of finding some a new wheel and tire setup so once I do, I’m going to need some recommendations too on what will work with our trailers.
Kewl!! Just don't get the one in the link I posted because it wont work for us (at least with a 14in spare). Ironically, this was the only mod I tried without a part recommendation from the forum first and it was a total fail :(

BTW, you said in your post that you like to boat out in Newport. I'm going there next week for July 4th to stay at the Newport Dunes Beach Resort and taking my boat there for the first time. How has it been out there for you so far?

mwalker4

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Kewl!! Just don't get the one in the link I posted because it wont work for us (at least with a 14in spare). Ironically, this was the only mod I tried without a part recommendation from the forum first and it was a total fail :(

BTW, you said in your post that you like to boat out in Newport. I'm going there next week for July 4th to stay at the Newport Dunes Beach Resort and taking my boat there for the first time. How has it been out there for you so far?
I bought the 195 bow fillers for my 190. Slightly different color and cost so much that I felt violated. About $600 total, sometimes you have to just grin and get over it. I thought about making it a project but decided against it .

Last edited:

bleudyno

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

The boat launch at Newport Dunes is pretty good - only boat launch in the area actually. I’m actually going there today. If it gets busy, there might not be much parking for your car and trailer after you launch but I’m not sure if they have other areas to park if their main lot by the ramp is full. Only issue is that it’s pretty far inland and if you’re planning on taking it out to the open ocean, you’ll need a good 30 minutes to get out there at no wake speeds plus another 30 to get back. The ocean gets pretty choppy as the day goes on so be careful out there if you are heading out. We’re just going to cruise in the bay today so it should be pretty calm.

Last edited:

cpthook

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Don’t worry, i just got mine today (ordered the 3.5”) and it fits just fine!
Thanks for the tip!! Finally found the time to get them on.Image (3).jpeg

KrushA

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Thanks for the reply!

1. The filler pad I was referring to is something like this:
View attachment 122933
5. No plans to do anyt wakeboarding or surfing yet as the coast ocean waters are not ideal for the activity. I can barely drive out there when the water gets choppy.
Go to Los Alamitos bay (Seal Beach/Long Beach) there is a small place where you can speed up in the bay, so you could try surf/ski.
also, when you come out to the ocean and go towards Long Beach, the waves are a lot easier because you are behind the break water. I had a 17.5 ft and would go there all the time. If you go south it’s choppier.
I have a 212x, and I’m on the ocean all the time from Newport or seal beach.
just went to Catalina couple weeks ago

KrushA

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
The boat launch at Newport Dunes is pretty good - only boat launch in the area actually. I’m actually going there today. If it gets busy, there might not be much parking for your car and trailer after you launch but I’m not sure if they have other areas to park if their main lot by the ramp is full. Only issue is that it’s pretty far inland and if you’re planning on taking it out to the open ocean, you’ll need a good 30 minutes to get out there at no wake speeds plus another 30 to get back. The ocean gets pretty choppy as the day goes on so be careful out there if you are heading out. We’re just going to cruise in the bay today so it should be pretty calm.

I love newport! make sure you go get some food and drinks at Mama’s kitchen. No need to get off your boat, they bring everything to you.
Sometimes, I launch Friday afternoon/eve and get a slip for the week end. It’s really awesome to come back in the morning and not have to launch. If you go early, ocean is not bad at all. If you can, go down to Laguna. Before the main beach, there are some private coves you can anchor.
i havea 212x, it’s just 2 ft bigger, so you should be able to do it too.

bleudyno

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for the info! I usually head out from Newport because its only 5 miles away from my house. Wouldn't mind driving a little further if it means I can speed up a with out big chop. Will definitely check it out. How's the boat launch and parking?

bleudyno

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Go to Los Alamitos bay (Seal Beach/Long Beach) there is a small place where you can speed up in the bay, so you could try surf/ski.
also, when you come out to the ocean and go towards Long Beach, the waves are a lot easier because you are behind the break water. I had a 17.5 ft and would go there all the time. If you go south it’s choppier.
I have a 212x, and I’m on the ocean all the time from Newport or seal beach.
just went to Catalina couple weeks ago
BTW, which boat launch is it? I see that there a couple in the Long Beach area.

KrushA

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Thanks for the info! I usually head out from Newport because its only 5 miles away from my house. Wouldn't mind driving a little further if it means I can speed up a with out big chop. Will definitely check it out. How's the boat launch and parking?
I think it’s called Davies launch. It’s ok. You can’t pull your boat like in Newport, so you pretty much have to be 2 or have a system to leave your car while you dock the boat. It’s not as big as Newport, but it’s not as busy, so give and take.

the other launch doesn’t have a dock so you have to beach to pick up your driver.
the way to the open water is short, not like Newport, and if you want to dock for the night, it’s like $25.
I’m new to boating and love it!!

cpthook

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
BTW, which boat launch is it? I see that there a couple in the Long Beach area.
also, when you come out to the ocean and go towards Long Beach, the waves are a lot easier because you are behind the break water.
Alamitos bay is the sh*t... I launch from southshore by the Queen Mary. Alamitos bay is about 2mi south behind a long break-wall so no issues getting there comfortably. We actually beach our boat at Bayshore Beach like were on a lake. My favorite spot in the south bay so far!!!

aicmichael

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Hello everyone, I am new to Yamaha boats but considering buying one in the next 2 months to bring to my little island overseas. Please provide pros and cons of owning this boat in an isolated overseas island where parts would have to be ordered from the USA or Dubai at a cost plus shipping and waiting time to get them each and every time.

What is the service interval and what is included in each service?
How reliable is a new 2020 or 2021 Yamaha SX190 in gulf salt water?
What spare or replacement parts should I buy and bring to my island with along with this new boat?
I am pretty technical and have performed all the required services on my 2005 Volvo Penta 5.7Gi-E duo prop sterndrive up until now.

Any other user experience and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Tyguy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
aicmichael, the 1.8 is a breeze to maintain. Quick question: are you going to leave it in the water, or trailer it?

For maintenance, you'll want an oil change kit for the 10-hour service, and then once a year thereafter, assuming you don't put on so many hours that multiple oil changes a year are needed. Also consider replacing the spark plugs once a year. A little grease for the intermediate bearing, some Salt-Away, corrosion inhibitor spray to protect the metal bits, and you should be good to go for many years to come. I guess upgrades would be the one thing to think about.

Pros: super easy to maintain with minimal parts and fluids. Inexpensive relative to other drive systems, simple, reliable. The 190 is economical on gas compared to a 5.7. The draught is ridiculously short, so you're less likely to damage anything on underwater obstacles.

Cons: it's a light boat, so if seas are rough, you're going to be bounced around and the pump may cavitate because there's no outdrive hanging in the water. Also, jet drives don't like sea grass (not sure if that's a problem where you are). Compared to a 5.7 sterndrive the 190 will feel under powered.

There's really not much to maintain or break on these boats, so stocking parts isn't much of consideration. Oil filters, spark plugs, anode for salt water, and fluids. That's about it.