• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New roof

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
So they start reroofing my house tomorrow. I didn't actually know or suspect damage until a roofing solicitor called wanting to give me an estimate. Bottom line the roof is totaled. The gut wrenching is from the 1% deductible. Anyway, my 40 year roof gets replaced at the 13 year point. And upgraded to a 50 year lifetime hail resistant shingle. Thoughts??? Although I am asking too late.

Last edited:

PEARCE

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Is it too late to get a second opinion? What about your neighbors? Have they had their's looked at or replaced? I know it's expensive, but what about a metal roof?

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
When building our house we considered a 50
year metal product that looks just like shingles. The catch was that it cost three times as much as 30 year shingles. In the end I went with inexpensive and easily replaced 30 year shingles. My decision was that the products that were supposed to stand up to sun damage for longer still gave in to hail damage so I was not likely to get more time out of the more expensive shingles. I did upgrade the thickness of the roof sheathing and used sheathing with an aluminum reflective layer on the inside.

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My advice is save your money on the more expensive shingle and instead change your deductible to $1000 vs. 1%. The fact is nothing is hail proof, and we will have more hail storms. I work for a SBS Modified Bitumen manufacturer. We invite people to visit our plant in AR to learn more about the product. During this visit we shoot 2" hail and 4" hail out of an air canon at a 24 gauge metal panel that simulates the terminal velocity of the hail in an actual storm. The 2" leaves a large dent, the 4" rips open the metal and leaves about a 10" hole. Warranties are pieces of paper to protect the manufacturers, they aren't worth the paper they were written on. Today warranties are mere sales tools other manufacturers use to sell against each other.

Manchild

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I would get another opinion from a local roofer before pulling the trigger on replacing a 13 year old 40 year roof. Hail should not damage that type of roof unless the hail was fairly large. I'm not sure what part of the DFW metroplex you live but these roofing solicitations should be treated with the same level of caution you would from any solicitor. Have you discussed this with your insurance agent? I would before you file a claim. I've been in the insurance claim business for 25 years and just because it hailed in the area does not necessarily mean it sustained damage. It could be, just be sure because as you know it ain't cheap even with insurance.

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I would get another opinion from a local roofer before pulling the trigger on replacing a 13 year old 40 year roof. Hail should not damage that type of roof unless the hail was fairly large. I'm not sure what part of the DFW metroplex you live but these roofing solicitations should be treated with the same level of caution you would from any solicitor. Have you discussed this with your insurance agent? I would before you file a claim. I've been in the insurance claim business for 25 years and just because it hailed in the area does not necessarily mean it sustained damage. It could be, just be sure because as you know it ain't cheap even with insurance.
I completely agree. I still have my original roof after many hail storms. As soon as a storm hits here comes Chuck in a truck, with his door magnet and ladder telling me all my neighbors are getting new roofs. Fine I say. Let em. I have slight granule loss but nothing catastrophic. I'll wait for the big one before I replace my shingles.

Have you ever seen the mountain of shingles in a land fill? Not very sustainable replacing them after every little hail event.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I just replaced the roof on my house with the help of a friend (and a few friends of his) that has been in the roofing business for over 40 years. Total cost was just under $8k for about 2500 sq feet of material (including 30 year shingles, paper, starter strips, ridge caps, labor (to remove two layers of roofing and install one new one)and a debri container which was almost $1k alone. Oh and nails and staples, lots of them. Labor and materials were almost equal at $3,500 each. $8k wasn't cheap but it was a lot less expensive than the three quotes I received between $12k and $15k. Angie's list was joke, they offered an $8,800 roof for $6,800 but after adding back in the exclusions the estimated cost rose back to the $13k range fast. The roofing permit was another $250 but hardly noticable in light of the other costs. My recommendation is to get at least one more opinion/estimate even if it means putting the work on hold for a few days.

I am assuming that your deductible is 1% of your home's value not 1% of the new roofs value. Is this correct? If so it seems like it would be worth it to get the longer lasting roofing materials. That is if the deductible is the same regardless of the material used. In any case good luck Mel. The wife and I feel a lot better about the new roof now that we have been through the first few strong rain storms of this season. Worth every penny.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Insurance adjuster paid for the roof. So getting it roofed is a no brainier. They don't make a 40 year shingle without special order now. So I got upgraded for free by insurance to 50 year hail resistant shingle. That shingle is made with rubber instead of fiberglass. Today, I the hail belt, insurance companies won't do an overlay, they will tear off and start fresh. Apparently the lack of support under an overlay lets mired snags from hail occur. They are almost finished with the tear off.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
So what is your out of pocket cost on this ? Just the deductible? Sounds like a great deal whether or not you got the material you wanted.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Thanks @Ronnie , whatever you do to your home that is forced on you is stressful. I was shocked that it was damaged to the point the insurance company would cough up almost $30K to replace it...well, $30K less my deductible. And yes, it is 1% of the declared value of the house. That is another sore point with me. They annually adjust it up 10% and that of course covers inflation and increased replacement costs, but it also includes the 5 wooded acres I live on, the driveways, the barn, and improvements. The point is, that is inflated beyond what it costs to replace the house well over $100K. I have questioned my agent in the past and she has given valid reasons that a little on the high side is good. But a few years of that and your over the actual replacement value by a bunch. And while it may seem a good thing, it is a solid $1500 or maybe even close to $2K in deductible cost to me. I couldn't adjust it after the fact, so I get to eat that. But rest assured, I am going to adjust the declared value on the house after the roof is done, which will lower the rates as well as the replacement value, but it is excessive now anyway. The better thing here in Texas and the hail belt, is that insurance companies will give a discount on hail resistant roofing...25%! So that alone will help.

I was going to say too, that I suspect that the ratings on roofing material is a marketing ploy to raise the prices, and profits for the manufacturers. So the shingle I had was a GAF 40 year shingle. Today, they offer a limited lifetime rated at 30 or 35 years, the insurance company says that is the same...IT IS NOT! So there is a gap now between a 30 year and the lifetime warrantied 50 year hail resistant shingle. I'm not sure who is in bed with who...but somebody has a plan that is for sure. I am rarely on the plus side of these situations, and I feel lucky I am getting the roof done...let alone getting an upgraded roof at no cost to me! Normally, it is like this..."oh, we don't offer that any more and you will have to pay the difference". Anyway, I have had damage before that they have dodged and I am not only glad they are stepping up but making sure I am "whole" in the process.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
$5105.00 :spitoutdummy: But when you consider a new 50 year roof, it is kind of like the wife coming home telling me she saved us $500! She spent money to save it...:sour: So all things considered...it is a :winkingthumbsup"

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have never heard of a hail belt until now. $5k is a good chunk change but all things considered you seem to be up on this one, congrats.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Apparently the insurance companies coined the phrase "hail belt". It is their big damage area extending from eastern Colorado through Kansas, Oklahoma, northern Texas and other areas I am sure, but that is what I read of it. I can tell you big tornados and hail happen way to often in Kansas and Oklahoma and I didn't know Colorado was part of it until I started looking at this. Appreciate all the thoughts, but all told, this is a PIA and my roof was fine I thought, just 13 years old. Hopefully, this will help in the long run.

HawkTX

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
$5105.00 :spitoutdummy: But when you consider a new 50 year roof, it is kind of like the wife coming home telling me she saved us $500! She spent money to save it...:sour: So all things considered...it is a :winkingthumbsup"
That is worth the money in my opinion. Especially if you plan on staying in that house long-term. I recently had my entire roof done because of the hail storms in North Texas last season and the contractor helped me eat a little of my deductible. It may be too late, but that was only offered when I told him I might shop around a bit more. Good luck!