• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Ugh ...I am so ready for the water and this boating season! (Warning extremely long rant and vent)

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Where do I even start? I swear I have had the craziest month or so! I just want it to be spring already and on the water! Allow me to vent :D

A while back we began to notice water damage in my computer room/office along one of the walls and the ceiling. I went up into the attic during a heavy downpour and noticed our roof was leaking thus the cause of the water damage! Got the roofing and general contractor out to survey the damage and said we had hail and wind damage along with the water damage inside. Got the insurance company involved and filed a claim. Insurance guy comes out and agrees to the damages and we begin the process of getting everything repaired (new roof, gutters and interior office). A week or so goes by and it's now February. The month of piss and rain. It has rained almost every day this whole month with some days dumping tons of gallons of water and flooding. Naturally all this rain kept delaying the crews from tearing off our old roof and installing the new one that is causing our house to leak, meanwhile house still leaking when it would pour. Great.

Another week goes by and we finally get a break in the weather so the roofing crew is able to come to our house. They told us it would take them a day and they work fast. I come home from work expecting them to be done but they are still pounding away in the dark at 7pm. Tarps everywhere in the driveway, grass, etc supposedly to catch the roofing nails but you know how that goes. You'll find those bastards for weeks or months after a new roof. Anyways I go inside from a long hard day at work to rewind while these guys are pounding away and my wife tells me oh btw I think our air conditioner stopped working. I'm like great what else. I go outside to inspect the air conditioner and notice a crapload of roofing nails on the blades and in the bottom. Then I notice these black streaks on the housing and realize those are from old roof shingles. I guess they just shoved them off and probably hundred lbs slammed on my unit while it was running. Went inside to inspect the circuit breaker and noticed it was tripped. Air conditioner working fine. Phew. Later on the crew I gone but they leave their big scrap trailer in my driveway as they did not finish the roof and it was getting late. They would come back the next day (on a Friday) to finish the roof. I come home from work and the new roof looks so good! We went with uograded architectural style shingles and it really updated the look of our home! Only issue I see now is the scrap trailer is still in my driveway with no roofing crew in sight. Hmm. Walk around trailer and notice it has a bad flat. Ok that sucks but surely they would come get the trailer the next day with a new tire to install. Nope. Never see them Saturday. couldn't get anyone in the phone either. This massive trailer is blocking the drive so we are having to park in the street which isn't ideal in my neighborhood due to speedsters and how narrow the street is. We deal with the inconvenience but nobody comes to get it all weekend. Monday rolls around and trailer is finally gone by the time I come home from work. Awesome!

So I sweep my driveway like 3 days in a roof to make sure we find any roofing nails they might have missed or have come out the gutter from the rains. Each time I still find one or two here or there. Hate those damn things! 4th or 5th day goes by after our new roof and I notice one of my tires in the truck has an awesome roofing it. Great!

We call contractor to find out what the next step is in repairs and they decide to schedule the interior work in a week or so. Wife, kiddo and I enjoy our new roof and decide to go check out the new boats at the Birmingham boat show. Well as some of you know we ended up putting money down on a new wake boat. We didn't even intend to do it but the boat show incentives and extra dealer incentives were too good to pass up! I was pumped and things were looking up!! Then a week later after specing the boat all out with the dealer and everything it didn't look like we were gonna come to an agreement with dealer and not get the new boat. I was so bummed. Like really bummed :I. Then owner calls me and wants to really earn my business. Things were looking better for us despite having a nice new nail in my tire or the crap water leaks prior. Dealer owner and I agree to come to a new deal on the boat+trade-in and continue with the custom build! Happy once again but the wait is killing me waiting for the next update on the boat.

Times goes on and now it's time for the interior crew to come repair my office of the water damage. I have them cut out a section of the drywall so I can inspect the wood framing and insulation. It looks good. While they are repairing the office the wife and I decide to do some spring cleaning in the garage. I noticed some dirt under the base board opposite of the wall in my office that had the water damage. I inspect closely and notice I have some water damage from the same roof leak that also affected the garage wall. Call insurance to report they might need to amend the claim repair cost to add the garage wall and paint. After the interior guy comes to inspect the garage we notice the base board was rotten. Great. They finish the office and it looks great with new paint on all the walls and ceiling. The next morning I go and inspect the room to see how the paint dried overnight and I notice a orange clump of something coming out of a small hole in the wall, kind of like where a picture hanger nail was. I inspect close and knock off the red orange stuff. It feels gritty and is dirt. Hmmm wtf I'm thinking, I had some errands to run and I also go by the new boat dealer to talk about my build and also hook up a boat like it to make sure my truck sagged ok with the added weight. Everything looks good there and I head home. When I get back home I go in my office and notice the red orange shit is back! WTF?! So I start taking pictures to send to the contractor when all the sudden I see something move. Then it comes out....a freakin termite! Oh shit I'm thinking and my heart literally sinks. I then begin to break down the root cause and go back into the garage to inspect the rotten base board mentioned earlier. I knock a small hole and you found a freakin termite path! Great....these bastards have been feasting on this roof leak which apparently has been going on for longer than we visually found out by the water stains in the walls and ceiling.

So now we're freaking out and I'm googling and researching about termites like a mad man. I'm thinking the worst things in the works and literally having a tough time sleeping at night knowing these bastards were eating away 24/7 and it made me feel sick. We didn't have a termite contract/repair bond I'm thinking well shit I've got a custom boat build in preproduction now that I'll likely need to cancel and likely lose my deposit, dealer going to be stuck with my custom build, and I would have to put my boat down payment money into termite repairs instead. Another kick to the nuts and teeth. I felt like shit for days from all this termite doom and gloom. It was bad. Then I began to calm down about the termites and we called a company to come by to inspect the little bastards to see how extensive the damage was and where they were hanging out. Turns out we found out these subterranean termites were coming in from s crack in my garage foundation and found my water leak. Damage was nowhere near as bad as I was dreaming up in my head and they are centrally located in one small area between the wall of my office near the base board. Termite company quotes me a nice quite now where near as bad as I was expecting and we agree to terms plus open up a termite bond/repair contract so we will be more preventative and better for our home when we will sell in a year or two. Since it wasn't too expensive it allowed me to keep on with my boat build. Phew!

Fast forward to today. Termite company is drilling holes in my garage to pour in the Termidor. my wife stays home today in case something happens or they need access inside the house. Well she's inside and hears this bang in the garage. She looks out the front window and sees the crew running out to the yard. They come back and knock on the door to tell my wife they were drilling and ran into the water line to my house from the main supply. Basically shooting water all in my garage and washing my freaking boat that was just detailed by me really good for the dealer to come to my house and insect it a few weeks ago. Great! So termite company calls a plumber and they are going to fix it today. I come home and the plumber crew is there and I've got a big ass chunk missing in my garage concrete floor now. Awesome. They get the line fixed and we have water again. They will fill it back in concrete in s few days. Termite crew couldn't spray the stuff while it was wet so they have to reschedule for next week. They did however go ahead and drill all the remaining holes around my house concrete to be prepared when they return.

Who knows what is going to happen next. I'm still waiting to have my gutters replaced too but it's been pouring rain and we can't catch a good window plus they say the main gutter guy has the flu. So that is getting pushed back to lord knows when now.

I just want my new boat and spring to get here damnit lol. What sucks is the engine break-in is 10 hours. I can't even open it up or fill ballast during that time. Just have to change RPMs of course but sucks I can't play with the wave during that time lol. I need to get the break-in done ASAP so that I can get my wo hours in before summer hits so I can put it in the shop for the first free service. Need to beat everyone else who also bought new boats and will be bringing theirs in for the first service and don't want to fall back in line too much to risk the start of summer. Sorry for my long ass vent. This should be exciting times for me, and it is....just that's it's always something it seems lately not boating-related! Like I have had just a string of craziness going on and this doesn't even touch the stupid crap at work I won't bore you with lol.

Tomorrow is a new month. It has to be better than February. :D

Last edited:

Rushfan67

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Other
Boat Model
222S
Boat Length
Sorry for your issues, sounds like you have had a rough patch. All I can say is I totally understand and although not quite to the extent of what have had going on the month of February for us was just a complete and utter... disappointment is I guess the best “clean” word I can use. Like you said March is here so maybe things will be better. Good luck with everything.

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Termite issue is very small.. deal with it every day (own pest company.. small one).

When you said dirt it was my first thought before I read further. I'm surprised they werent using a drill interrupter that should have tripped power to drill. It happens though and we have to fix it at our cost.

Glad tomorrow starts new month for you.

PS bring that boat up to Lanier jine 29th for our gathering!

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Wait til Mercury Retrograde hits 3/5. Good Material for The Rant Thread...https://jetboaters.net/threads/the-rant-thread.20311/ This BS Winter is almost over, now we March into Spring. I am hoping for warm days at end of April for first boating. At least your issues were not compounded by 2' of white, frozen boating water and 2° temps, like this morning. Up here it has been a cold and snowy/icy Winter that started Oct. 1st. Been feeding the wood boiler since, there is more to come, but the end is in sight. Just started the cockpit teak strip and cabin sole replacement for the Beneteau, at home. So, gear up for a busy boating or in my case, boat refitting season. Good luck with the new boat, your gonna love it...til you dont.;)

Screenshot_20190301-065211_AccuWeather.jpg

Last edited:

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Man, that's the kind of shit stretch of home ownership that makes you just want to mail the keys back to the bank and go rent a condo. Good news is, you should be clean sailing for a while!

Just take a day off on boat delivery day, and knock out those 10 hours in a single shot, get the service done and enjoy the summer!

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Rough patch of small problems for certain. Try to keep some perspective through it all. I know it certainly helps me when these little things pile up like this. We're all still pretty damn lucky to be in a position where something like boating as a hobby is even possible.

My wife calls them "1st world problems"..........she's pretty sharp!

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
All the problems piling up sucks. When you pull your new toy home into the driveway, and look up at your new roof while drinking a beer driveway boating all will feel better. Hope that happens sooner than later for you.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Also on the bright side, at least insurance paid for most of this nonsense. I've got my fingers crossed that a storm yanks mine off before I need to pony up and replace it, lol.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
All the problems piling up sucks. When you pull your new toy home into the driveway, and look up at your new roof while drinking a beer driveway boating all will feel better. Hope that happens sooner than later for you.
Well I wished it could be my driveway but instead I’ll be sticking it at my parents back yard and will buy a 12’ x 26’ or longer canopy to keep it protected from rain. They only live 5 minutes from me and I won’t have to worry with my boat being at some offsite storage area costing me money each month. This will also make installing mods and cleaning the boat easier than storage site since I will have plenty of tools at my disposal. I wished the Max would fit but I would need a pretty large garage and our little garden home only has a 7’ x 22’ deep garage.

But yes once that day finally arrives the beer will taste sooooo good!!! :winkingthumbsup"

AJACHIM

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
sorry to hear all the crap happening! On the bright side you've got a brand new boat to enjoy (almost)! Ive got another cold front coming through next week but Im counting down the seconds till I can be out there again. It seems like summer and warm weather is all I can look forward to. That, and Im hoping the lake can drop 5 feet before long because we are up to record water levels.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I hear ya on the water levels. Our dams all along the state have all the gates open to try and deal with the flooding. Beautiful picture a boating buddy took the other day...

4B4AE344-2164-496F-813D-11D4E4F82D53.jpeg

AJACHIM

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
dang thats massive! yeah were 5 feet above full pool and we haven't had a beach in a couple years unfortunately. The dam gets opened but down south of the dam got a lot of rain so they can't flood them out to quickly :/.. You've got some nice looking lakes out there though!

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
dang thats massive! yeah were 5 feet above full pool and we haven't had a beach in a couple years unfortunately. The dam gets opened but down south of the dam got a lot of rain so they can't flood them out to quickly :/.. You've got some nice looking lakes out there though!
Plenty of beaches just have to know where to look. 2 years ago we has no problem and last summer no problem either.

AJACHIM

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Plenty of beaches just have to know where to look. 2 years ago we has no problem and last summer no problem either.
Ill need to look closer next time I'm out because having a beach a to hangout would be nice.

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Make sure you measure the gunwales before you except delivery of your new boat.

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Well at least your not under a winter storm warning today. :banghead: 3 to 5 inches of snow, 5 to 8 south of us.

biglar155

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Not gonna lie, I think Murphy must have fallen asleep for a minute.

I'm making the run to Lexington to pick up the kiddo from U.K. on Thursday. My normal luck says that that's when something like this hits. So I'm just glad it's coming through now!

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
They used a rolling magnet. Weeks go by and I still found them. Thankfully haven’t seen any in a while as we had lots of heavy rains since then.

To add to our crappy year we had to put our 14 year old family dog down at the beginning of this month. Hardest thing I’ve had to go through as our dog was a huge part of our family and had gone through a lot with cancer and surgeries. He did not let the cancer beat him but rather old age and bad hips got him. He went peacefully and we got his remains back a week or so ago. Still trying to adjust but each day is a little easier. We still hear him in the house and miss him dearly.

Rumbo

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
To add to our crappy year we had to put our 14 year old family dog down at the beginning of this month. Hardest thing I’ve had to go through as our dog was a huge part of our family and had gone through a lot with cancer and surgeries. He did not let the cancer beat him but rather old age and bad hips got him. He went peacefully and we got his remains back a week or so ago. Still trying to adjust but each day is a little easier. We still hear him in the house and miss him dearly.
Sorry for your loss and I know how hard that is. We just had to put our 17 year old pup to sleep a week ago. We had her since she was 6 weeks old and has been with us through everything. My kids didn’t know life without her (our oldest is 14). Same thing here, we still hear her tags jingling around the house and keep catching glimpses of her out of the corner of our eyes. Being on our boat without her this year is going to bring back the loss all over again too. It’s amazing how much love we have for these little creatures. Making the decision that that day it was her time and following through with it was the hardest thing I have had to do in my life.