• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New to Jet Boating

That sounds reasonable but if they won't entertain that request then maybe see if they will allow you to have a Yamaha dealer run a full diagnostic on it. Or simply place a refundable deposit on the boat and arrange final payment pending a sea trial.

Thank you! The listing does mention that it went through the Yamaha shop last fall and has a "clean bill of health".
As for a refundable deposit pending sea trial...wouldn't he call that off if someone wanted to buy it without any contingencies? I suppose it will all depend on the type of person this seller is, and what kind of feel he gets from me....and my trustworthy face. haha
Thanks for your feedback :)

Do a little detective work, go to the dealer that he has the boat serviced at. Tell them you are considering purchasing a sx 230 jet boat and want to get to know the local dealer and learn about the style of boat and it's maintenance requirements. After you get familiar with them, tell them you just happen to have the hull number and ask if they are familiar with the boat and if they would look up the records most likely they will do that for you since you are a potential new customer.
As for the seller, he wants to get cash and move the boat , so I think your assessment of his response to your proposition on a test drive is pretty probable .

Great idea! I think I know where he would have brought it. I will do that! Thank you!

@Laney I just noticed, from your profile, you're up in the Long Lake, Maine area. I've had a few opertunities to speak with the owner of Long Lake Marina, Jim and his son Jim. (Kinda reminds me of the Daryl & Daryl comedy skit). Anyway, they are real good guys. They spent a lot of time with me when I was considering buying one of their customer's boats that they maintained. I lost that boat to a higher bidder but spoke to them at the next two Boston boat shows. If your boat is maintained by them you shouldn't have any problems seeing the maintenance records.

I am also not far from you if I can help you through the process. I'm in Peabody, MA. My boat is in East Falmouth.

That's good to know too. Their foreman is my mercruiser mechanic and he knows I'm on the market for a "new" boat. (although he has advised me against the jet boats-basically because of the way they're known to handle. I think he figures I won't like it)? I haven't dealt with the owners or sales people (yet) :) Thank you for your continued help!

@Laney - the boat I bought was originally sold by Long Lake. Similar circumstances - "bought" it last February when it was under 3' of snow in the owner's driveway. I spoke to them before the sale and have spoken to them a number of times since. James (the junior of Jim & Jim) has been extremely helpful with info on the boat and with a number of screw ups that surfaced after purchase. He's worked with me all along - even though I wasn't the original purchaser and there's no $ in it for him!

That's good to know too. Their foreman is my mercruiser mechanic and he knows I'm on the market for a "new" boat. (although he has advised me against the jet boats-basically because of the way they're known to handle. I think he figures I won't like it)? I haven't dealt with the owners or sales people (yet) :) Thank you for your continued help!
@Laney. With due respect for your mechanic most opinions about jet boat handling are based on a stock configuration. In that respect your mechanic is correct in looking out for your interests. As I'm sure you're aware there are a few options for installing after market fins which correct this condition. These options have been patented and marketed by members of this forum. My wife would not handle our boat before our final installation, now I can enjoy a beer while she drives.

Thanks GYM , for the record one of us has several patents the other keeps trying but nothing yet and as of November the patent office has issued a final rejection according to the public pair , http://portal.uspto.gov/pair/PublicPair application number 13717974 records section of the patent office.

So I was not able to come to any kind of agreement with the seller that I was dealing with. Never even went to look at the boat because I couldn't even seem to get my questions answered. :( So if anyone in the Northeast area hears of anything similar coming up for sale, feel free to drop me a note! Maybe I'll find one that already has fins! Thanks to you all for the helpful responses!
......summer's comin!!!

Sorry to hear the seller would not answer your questions , however passing on this particular boat may end up saving you from making a mistake.
A person who has a good boat and one that has served them well is usually proud of that and will go out of their way to help you understand the full value of the boat. Sounds like they were selling the boat and hoping no one would ask why.

Very true. Too many things that didn't add up with this one. Excited to keep looking and dreaming about my next boat!

Back