• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New to the forum and Jetboater community!

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Great looking boat @Axekickr!
Nice color scheme! You and the family will truly enjoy!

Just watch those ropes! :)

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I know I'm a little late to the party, but Welcome aboard @Axekickr and congrats on the new boat. Looks great

John Z

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Looking for some quick advice. I am close to buying a 2016 Yamaha 242 Limited S E-Series. I live in the Tampa Bay area and will be using the boat in the bay but also plan to do small jaunts up and down the coast a bit. I have no plans to go more than a couple of miles offshore. I am getting lots of comments that the boat may have issues handling in the Gulf. Since I anticipate being in 1-2 ft seas a good bit while in the Gulf, how does this boat compare to other 24ft with either Outboard or I/O? How about in higher seas (3-4ft) if I get caught by surprise? What is the comfort level in this situation compared to like a Regal? Does it maintain it's handling ability?
I love everything else about the boat but traditional boaters have offered lots of advice but I would like to hear from those who have "done it".
Thank you for any advice or comments offered.

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@John Z - I am not familiar with the older models however I can tell you that my family and I use our 2015 242LS in the ICW and in the Gulf of Mexico. 1-2ft seas are normal and we have been in 3-5. Though the later are not easy as long as we keep moving it was fine. The 1-2ft were a breeze.

Axekickr

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
Looking for some quick advice. I am close to buying a 2016 Yamaha 242 Limited S E-Series. I live in the Tampa Bay area and will be using the boat in the bay but also plan to do small jaunts up and down the coast a bit. I have no plans to go more than a couple of miles offshore. I am getting lots of comments that the boat may have issues handling in the Gulf. Since I anticipate being in 1-2 ft seas a good bit while in the Gulf, how does this boat compare to other 24ft with either Outboard or I/O? How about in higher seas (3-4ft) if I get caught by surprise? What is the comfort level in this situation compared to like a Regal? Does it maintain it's handling ability?
I love everything else about the boat but traditional boaters have offered lots of advice but I would like to hear from those who have "done it".
I have to agree with @Bennie on this. I have a 2015 SX192 which just made its first voyage this past weekend. While I don't have experience in the Gulf we were out in Lake Erie and the waves were easily 1-2 and more like 2-3 ft. We were able to move around and although a bit rough and bumpy the boat performed as well if not better than I would expect. The day before there were small craft warnings out, but it was supposed to calm down. Being aware of the weather and marine conditions are things all boaters need to do before heading out. Not familiar with a Regal, but I would imagine they are not much fun as the water gets rough either. Let me tell you this, I had full power and maneuverability in my SX192 with 2-3 foot waves. I'm sure in a 242 you'd have no issues and a lot of fun!! Wouldn't trade my boat for anything, well except maybe a larger Yamaha Good luck, let us know if you pull the trigger.

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I have a 2016 242 Limited SE. My old boat was a 1987 Four Winns. It handled rough water very well. I have found that the 242 seems to do as well. Now, granted, I havnt been offshore, but the lake I usually go to can get very rough, swells/waves up to 4-5 feet. If you find a good speed and approach them at a 45, it does quite well. NEVER wants to roll, and NEVER gets water over the bow. Even the spray is not a big issue, and I have had no handling issues. I had always read that jetboats cannot handle the rough water like a sterndrive. In my experience, limited as it may be with jetboats, I have not found that to be true. Understand, a 24' boat offshore is a small boat, no matter how you cut it!

Glen

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Took our '16 242X to Bimini, for the '16 Fling a few weeks ago.
Bottom-line, she handled it like a champ!
I am very confident that I could have her going 24 mph (slow plain) in just about any sea state that would not send me air borne.
On the crossing to Bimini, our group was going 30-35 for a bit and I was getting too much air with slapping impacts. I slowed down to 25ish and she was as smooth as silk. I set the pace for our group on the way back and we averaged 24mph. Never slapped once. Speed was going up to 27 and down to 18, depending on what side of the rollers we were on, but I didn't need to play with the throttle much.
Bottom-line, the new keel and freeboard have given the current 24's great stability for handling 'near-shore' (3-5) wave conditions.

NewAR240

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hello everyone, I just purchased my first 2010 AR 240 . I may need some advice.