• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New to the sx230

Hoosiercuts

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Run with the filters, then run without them. If there is mo difference don't bother changing them. If you do notice a difference in max RPM or max speed change them.

P.S. Do not overfill the oil. That's a very common mistake on MR-1 motors. If you suck out 2.5 quarts replace it with 2.5 quarts. You do not want to see anything above the L mark on the stick of a cold engine and preferably lower. Make sure your boat is sitting level or in the water when you check the oil levels.
I just bought the boat 4 days ago. When I pumped the oil out of the compartment it looks like a mocha color. Maybe mixed with water ?

scot71

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hey scot do you know why my depth meter doesn’t work ? Or speedometer?
Like @mark_m mentioned, double check that the transducer (orange arrow) and pitot (green arrow) are both down. The speedometer is a pretty simple apparatus. It basically works on water pressure. Water is forced into the pitot and travels up the tube to the back of the gage to spin the needle. The faster you go the more pressure there is to move the needle. The depth gage is a different story. That could be a problem with the transducer or the gage, or both. I had to replace both on my boat when I bought it. It was easier to replace both items than figure which had the problem.
20190729_214310.jpg

scot71

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I just bought the boat 4 days ago. When I pumped the oil out of the compartment it looks like a mocha color. Maybe mixed with water ?
Possibly, I would run with the new oil for a little while then check to see if the milkyness comes back.

GhostXR

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That looks like oil mixing with water - bad news 😕 Do a compression test and see if you have a bad head gasket. Running it as is will blow the motor...

Hoosiercuts

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That looks like oil mixing with water - bad news 😕 Do a compression test and see if you have a bad head gasket. Running it as is will blow the motor...
how would I do a compression test ?

GhostXR

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Buy or rent a compression tester - most auto parts stores have free rentals, you just pay a deposit for the cost of the tool, make sure it has a 10mm adapter. Take out all spark plugs, pull the lanyard so you don't have spark, screw the tester into the plug hole on each cylinder (one at a time obviously), peg the throttle wide open and crank the engine for a few seconds. You're mainly looking for the cylinders to be within about 10% of each other.

Edit - keep in mind that a gasket that's blown between oil and water passages may not show a loss in compression

Hoosiercuts

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Buy or rent a compression tester - most auto parts stores have free rentals, you just pay a deposit for the cost of the tool, make sure it has a 10mm adapter. Take out all spark plugs, pull the lanyard so you don't have spark, screw the tester into the plug hole on each cylinder (one at a time obviously), peg the throttle wide open and crank the engine for a few seconds. You're mainly looking for the cylinders to be within about 10% of each other.

Edit - keep in mind that a gasket that's blown between oil and water passages may not show a loss in compression
Where do I hook up the water hose to ?? I can’t seem to find anything about it anywhere

GhostXR

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Don't hook up a water hose if you're not running the engine (which you won't be doing when testing compression - you're only spinning the engine with the starter for a few seconds).

Hoosiercuts

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Don't hook up a water hose if you're not running the engine (which you won't be doing when testing compression - you're only spinning the engine with the starter for a few seconds).
Awesome dude you’ve been great help.