• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New Viper N K info

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other

DBamaC

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
I will be interested in seeing reviews on this product once they are out in the wild in use. Not often, but sometimes on really busy lakes when there is a lot of rolling chop I get frustrated with the amount of "wallow" I experience. I've ridden in a single with an articulating keel and it seems like they have less issues with that. I wouldn't trade boats just to get the articulating keel, but I mght be willing to try a different mod.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Hmm I have a 30 day money back guarantee so why waste time thinking about it when you can do it and see how you like it ???

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Viper N K with mega fangs.

Attachments

FLBulldogger

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Just installed these and SO looking forward to trying them out this weekend....I will give a honest, no holds barred review of the Viper NK w/mega fangs!

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
and another couple of viper pics I just received

Attachments

FLBulldogger

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
So after a couple of months of going back and forth on whether to buy Lateral thrust reversers or try a new system all together we went with the Cobra Jet Viper NK's with Mega Fangs (can't really go wrong with the Money-back guarantee that Jeff promises). Jeff was great throughout the whole process with quick reply emails about the install, since I had to remove the ThrustVectors (TV's) and had to acquire new parts (collars) that were removed and he even sent a couple bolts to assist in the install, made the order on Weds. evening and received the package on Friday, the install was uneventful and as depicted and described (except for the removal of the TV's, that was a PIA), applied the super glue so we could get out and test out the new system the next afternoon and hit the water about 1130. A little background we are new to the Jet Boat scene (only 6 months of experience) and have always had the JBP TV's on the boat so we had no real comparison of being "nozzle only" (we don't have a articulating keel) the TV's provided decent slow maneuverability, but due to our other boating experiences we felt something was missing, especially on plane and in reverse.

From the moment we left the dock, the difference was quite noticeable in reverse and at slow no wake zone speed the maneuverability was fantastic and more like what we had experienced with an outboard. Once we cleared the no wake zone, we powered up and what a pleasant surprise on plane very quickly and she felt like all of a sudden we had a tight steering system with no slop and you could put her where you pointed her. We made about a 30 min run down the Manatee River at WOT and did quite a bit of turning and even a couple left and right 360 degree circles and were grinning the entire time. My wife took the helm and we continued down the river and she couldn't believe what a difference in the handling and even used the term "power steering" type feel in the handling. On the way back we pulled into one of the riverfront pubs (Woody's) here and just to see how she did in a "tight" maneuvering space I idled into the enclosed docking area and put her through the paces, completed at TIGHT 180 in front of all of the customers by the dock and proceeded back out. She handled like a champ and away we took off toward the boat ramp. My wife took over about 2 miles before the ramp I wanted her to dock the boat with the new system. As we arrived we realized why we don't do weekend boating, the ramp was 4 deep in inbounds and 5 deep in outbounds, with various levels of boatsmanship on display. Needless to say it was going to be a while, my wife used the 35 minutes to do slow maneuvers around some crab pot buoys and she was very impressed with how the boat handled. Once our turn was up she docked the boat with very little effort even in a challenging current and wind condition, also an audience watching.

In summary the system is exactly what Jeff promises, In our humble opinion the CJS Viper with Mega Fangs is a better overall handling package for the single thrust (can't speak to the dual thrust boats) boats as compared to the TV's.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Thank you for the prompt testimonial.
The good news is now that your wife is enjoying the boat a lot more you get to go boating more.
The bad news is you don't get to drive!

For the benefit of the class of 2018 , Cobra jet steering offers several choices for steering if you own a Yamaha 19 foot non keel boat.
The Ultimate steering works on this model and you can also add the mega fangs to that system at any time .
Obviously the Viper as described in his post and you can upgrade that with the Mega Fangs at any time.

On the 19 foot with a keel you can use the viper or the Ultimate systems but not the mega fangs as the keel is in the way, however if you choose the ultimate system and you want add another reverse mod to your boat I make an alternate side force stabilizer to accommodate the lateral thruster if you desire to add that. Important note on reverse.
The Viper has a set of fangs already incorporated in the system but not as strong as the mega fang system.

The price of the viper system is $159 the price of the Mega Fang for either the viper or the Ultimate is $85 and the price of the Ultimate single engine system is $ 244 So boating in 2018 driving like a pro right out of the box I don't see it, But cobra jet steering puts you in control is proven once again! If you don't have a smile on your face when you're driving you jet boat you probably don't have COBRA JET STEERING ! Do your homework and buy your last steering system F I R S T !

Last edited:

boatandgolf

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Jeff,

I am in a similar situation as the post above, I just bought a new to me 2015 AR190 and already purchased a Viper NK based on the positive reviews here. The boat has Thrust Vectors that I need to remove first. Should I anticipate needing new hardware?

Also little confused about the Mega Fangs, are the or are they not compatible with the Viper NK? I'll take all the reverse help I can get if the upgrade is an option.

Thank you for the prompt testimonial.
The good news is now that your wife is enjoying the boat a lot more you get to go boating more.
The bad news is you don't get to drive!

For the benefit of the class of 2018 , Cobra jet steering offers several choices for steering if you own a Yamaha 19 foot non keel boat.
The Ultimate steering works on this model and you can also add the mega fangs to that system at any time .
Obviously the Viper as described in his post and you can upgrade that with the Mega Fangs at any time.

On the 19 foot with a keel you can use the viper or the Ultimate systems but not the mega fangs as the keel is in the way, however if you choose the ultimate system and you want add another reverse mod to your boat I make an alternate side force stabilizer to accommodate the lateral thruster if you desire to add that. Important note on reverse.
The Viper has a set of fangs already incorporated in the system but not as strong as the mega fang system.

The price of the viper system is $159 the price of the Mega Fang for either the viper or the Ultimate is $85 and the price of the Ultimate single engine system is $189 So boating in 2018 driving like a pro right out of the box I don't see it, But cobra jet steering puts you in control is proven once again! If you don't have a smile on your face when you're driving you jet boat you probably don't have COBRA JET STEERING ! Do your homework and buy your last steering system F I R S T !

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
You will need to obtain the original stainless steel factory standoffs that go in the reverse gates ,the part numbers are 90387-08m30-00, as they must be put back where they came from. These are obtainable from a Yamaha dealer if you don't have them.
The mega fang is compatible with the viper NK and NK2 as the 19 foot boats that use those do not have any keel. The mega fang will more than make up for that in steering control plus extra reverse control , extra reverse power for backing and stopping . And power steering.
The total price for both the Viper nk and mega fang is $274 including free shipping in the U S A

upload_2018-3-28_8-50-49.png

FLBulldogger

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
@boatandgolf first off great name on the boat! As far as the parts that I needed for the install after the removal of the TV's I ordered these from Boats.net, make sure you check for the correct parts numbers for the 2015 I'm not sure if they are the same for a 2015 but the parts themselves should be, heres where I check for parts www.yamahapart.com. Also, I did have a hard time getting the hex bolt off of one side, due to the previous owner using permament loctite, so make sure your hex key set is up to stuff, I ended up using a cutting wheel to get the bolt off, even after using a torch to heat the bolt rounded off at the hex.
90387-08M08-30 COLLAR (Yamaha Motor) $4.90
In Stock
2 $9.80
97080-08020-00 BOLT (Yamaha Motor) $3.17
In Stock
2 $6.34

Last edited:

boatandgolf

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Thanks Jeff and @FLBulldogger. I will get my orders in for those parts.

FLBulldogger

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Just be warned I had to order the parts from boats.net QUICK, because @Cobra Jet Steering LLC is so darn fast in shipping out his system :winkingthumbsup" Look forward to hearing what you think after the install!

boatandgolf

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
One more question since they Venom isn't an option, did you get the Mega Fangs for
Ultimate System or the one for Non Cobra systems?

Just be warned I had to order the parts from boats.net QUICK, because @Cobra Jet Steering LLC is so darn fast in shipping out his system :winkingthumbsup" Look forward to hearing what you think after the install!

FLBulldogger

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I installed the Mega Fangs on the VIPER NK system.

boatandgolf

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Do I need the fangs for Ultimate system or the stock nozzle if adding to a Venom NK system?

You will need to obtain the original stainless steel factory standoffs that go in the reverse gates ,the part numbers are 90387-08m30-00, as they must be put back where they came from. These are obtainable from a Yamaha dealer if you don't have them.
The mega fang is compatible with the viper NK and NK2 as the 19 foot boats that use those do not have any keel. The mega fang will more than make up for that in steering control plus extra reverse control , extra reverse power for backing and stopping . And power steering.
The total price for both the Viper nk and mega fang is $274 including free shipping in the U S A

View attachment 70827

FLBulldogger

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I chose the non/stock nozzle, just make sure you email @Cobra Jet Steering LLC / Jeff and he will coordinate what you need, honestly we emailed all afternoon to make sure I had everything I needed, very responsive and informative guy!

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
There is two different attachment setups one for the newest nozzle and one for the early nozzle, a 2015 has the newest style, There are two different viper configurations one for the keel system and one for the non keel as long as you give me the correct year I can figure out what style you have. I just had one this morning that ordered the wrong one but I sent the correct one based on the year. I also send emails to obtain info if I feel it is necessary .

Firemedic

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Such an improvement with the NK. Love it, but it bent after hitting a log. Jeff immediately fielded the call and explained warranty fix or replace deal. Way happy! No boat damage!! It gave when it needed to.