• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

I now have the VIPER N K system in my posession

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I just picked up the first run of the VIPER N K system for the 19 foot non keel boats similar to the original Viper for the rudder type 19 foot boats with the exception of the fin shape and the mounting is slightly different. It has the planning surface, the fins and the fangs all built in . It will be the same price as the original VIPER . $159 I am also looking for someone with a twin engine boat who wants to give this a try as I believe it will be an interesting experience for those boats also. So Email me if you are interested in this system. Jeff@cobrajetsteering.com

Attachments

Last edited:

ruztew

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
How does this compare to the ultimates? Just trying to understand performance changes?

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
The Ultimate system is the only system available that is spring loaded multi functional and adjustable plus upgradable to accept the fangs also. The Ultimate system is built of tempered aluminum with a variety of depth settings for you to decide the level of influence you want and be able to change that level if your needs change . The ultimate system has no obstructions between the fins below the nozzle obstructing the water flow creating extra drag , it can also be set to go up at speed leaving about 10 percent of the fins in contact with the water for feedback and a slight influence enhancement. So the Ultimate is the most advanced system available and it will work on most boats even the twin engine keel boats if people decide to remove the rudder to avoid it making contact with the ground or cracking the fiberglass on the hull where it mounts in some cases.
The Viper and Viper JN K are totally different, these provide a planning surface for faster hole shots and maintaining a more stable hull attitude without adding any trim tabs, the vipers have fins that are further apart for more influence without needing to extend as far below the nozzle and the fangs are built into the fins already, The viper is not adjustable or spring loaded. It also has nothing in the water between the fins causing drag.
The people using the first VIPER design have posted very positive reviews on this web site , so finally having some available for the non keel and regular twin jet boats should prove interesting based on the previous feedback.
Buying a set of Ultimates with fangs would run around $264 for a single engine boat, so $159 for the fins fangs and a planning surface is really a good deal.

Tonkatoy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
The Ultimate system is the only system available that is spring loaded multi functional and adjustable plus upgradable to accept the fangs also. The Ultimate system is built of tempered aluminum with a variety of depth settings for you to decide the level of influence you want and be able to change that level if your needs change . The ultimate system has no obstructions between the fins below the nozzle obstructing the water flow creating extra drag , it can also be set to go up at speed leaving about 10 percent of the fins in contact with the water for feedback and a slight influence enhancement. So the Ultimate is the most advanced system available and it will work on most boats even the twin engine keel boats if people decide to remove the rudder to avoid it making contact with the ground or cracking the fiberglass on the hull where it mounts in some cases.
The Viper and Viper JN K are totally different, these provide a planning surface for faster hole shots and maintaining a more stable hull attitude without adding any trim tabs, the vipers have fins that are further apart for more influence without needing to extend as far below the nozzle and the fangs are built into the fins already, The viper is not adjustable or spring loaded. It also has nothing in the water between the fins causing drag.
The people using the first VIPER design have posted very positive reviews on this web site , so finally having some available for the non keel and regular twin jet boats should prove interesting based on the previous feedback.
Buying a set of Ultimates with fangs would run around $264 for a single engine boat, so $159 for the fins fangs and a planning surface is really a good deal.
So the fangs are there to aid in reverse?
Sounds like a simple reverse steering aid...

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just picked up the first run of the VIPER N K system for the 19 foot non keel boats similar to the original Viper for the rudder type 19 foot boats with the exception of the fin shape and the mounting is slightly different. It has the planning surface, the fins and the fangs all built in . It will be the same price as the original VIPER . $159 I am also looking for someone with a twin engine boat who wants to give this a try as I believe it will be an interesting experience for those boats also. So Email me if you are interested in this system. Jeff@cobrajetsteering.com
So the Viper NK looks like it might help even more with twin engines by the design look? Anyone tried this yet on 24'? I dying to know or try it out lol.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
So here are some quick comparisons between the VIPER and the ULTIMATE systems.
Both are aluminum the ULTIMATE is 6061-t6 and the VIPER is now made of 5052-h32 aluminum. The ULTIMATE is adjustable and the fins can be staggered for twin engine boats where you can even set the outside fins at a higher level than the inside fins , this allows you to precisely tweak the amount of high speed influence you receive when operating in the down at speed mode "A K A" the all time steering assistance.
This allows for the operator to get the exact amount of influence they desire regardless for any size twin engine boat as the outer fin is the one mostly exposed to the water at speed.
On single engine boats the ULTIMATE works on all the models and the fins can be set in a variety of settings to adjust the influence at all speeds.
I recommend setting them at the second or third level if you are using them on the 19 foot boats full time.
The VIPER fins are only 4 inches deep as opposed to the Ultimate fins being 6 inches deep, However the VIPERS make up for that in length and width as they move more distance being further apart and they are longer.
Neither the VIPER or the ULTIMATE systems have any obstructions between the fins below the nozzle to drag in the water or cause disruptions in the wake.
The Ultimate system uses the flow of water exiting the nozzle to hold the fins in the water at speed with a spring that will back that up if the engines are turned off but for the most part the springs are not holding the fins down the water passing over the top of the actuator does that so the springs last a long time.
In the other operating mode the Ultimate steering can be set to have the fins go up at speed with approximately 10 percent of the fins making contact to continue providing a reduced but sufficient amount of extra influence and provide feedback to the operator similar to normal steering on conventional boats.
In this case the spring will return the fins to their down position at idle speed or if the engine is turned off or stalls.
All the adjustments and optional up at speed function is performed by the multi functional actuator between the fins, and the side force stabilizer allows for stabilization of the system in turns without any obstructions between the fins dragging in the water below the nozzle.
The VIPER does not have any adjustments or optional up at speed settings however by it's very nature the fins and planning surface move up and down with the hull changing the influence they provide by the position they have in the water.
At slow speed the fins and planning surface are deeper in the water and on plane they are up higher .
Both systems are good for extra control at all speeds and for planting the back of the boat during water sports etc.
They are very well received by guest operators who usually shy away from driving jet boats.
As for the FANG capability of both systems, the ULTIMATE system is compatible to accept the fangs for improved reverse and less resistance in the steering, on all models accept the 19 foot factory keel setup.
The VIPER has the fangs built in and it has a specially designed set for the keel rudder setups on the 19 foot models.
The VIPER N K is for the regular boat steering and we have it for both new style and old style nozzles on single and twin engine boats that do not have the articulating keel. However we do have a model specific magnum A K system with A K fangs for that type twin engine boat.

Attachments

Ernie

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Man that is a huge difference .

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
So the fangs are there to aid in reverse?
Sounds like a simple reverse steering aid...
I designed the fangs a while back to add on the Ultimate and other systems as an upgrade for power steering assist to reduce some of the resistance in the helm from the force of the pump trying to straighten the nozzle as it resist turning along with the added resistance from the fins turning at speed. When you place a fin forward of the pivot point of the nozzle you are using the water traveling past it to help reduce the forces, it is simple leverage.
I did make them conservative as I always do and people always want more just like the years of my smaller fins where they kept asking for bigger and bigger fins.
So obviously If I decide to make them larger they will do more, as for reverse, when you place your controls in reverse you are closing off the exit rout of the jet thrust out the back of the nozzle and redirecting it to go out of the bottom of the nozzle under the boat and as the nozzle turns it directs that water to move the boat backward plus turning the nozzle changes the direction of movement and as we all know this was never a very effective method but most people used the reverse as an emergency brake to avoid collisions or to stop the boat once they docked it.
I realized that by placing fins along side of the reverse opening it would corral that reverse thrust and help hold the water under the boat longer thus making reverse more manageable.
So by adding fangs to just the outside of the twin nozzle setups or to both sides of the single nozzles we improved the handling of the boat in reverse by adding more control to the water exiting the nozzle.
Simple effective and no obstructions.
We have noticed that the front of the fangs must be slightly towed in for the best results, since we made the mounting holes slightly larger than the bolts it is very easy to tow the fangs in by simply loosening the mounting bolts and pushing the front of the fang all the way in toward the center of the boat and then tightening the bolts . Having a slight tow in allows the boat to track straight.

Tonkatoy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
I designed the fangs a while back to add on the Ultimate and other systems as an upgrade for power steering assist to reduce some of the resistance in the helm from the force of the pump trying to straighten the nozzle as it resist turning along with the added resistance from the fins turning at speed. When you place a fin forward of the pivot point of the nozzle you are using the water traveling past it to help reduce the forces, it is simple leverage.
I did make them conservative as I always do and people always want more just like the years of my smaller fins where they kept asking for bigger and bigger fins.
So obviously If I decide to make them larger they will do more, as for reverse, when you place your controls in reverse you are closing off the exit rout of the jet thrust out the back of the nozzle and redirecting it to go out of the bottom of the nozzle under the boat and as the nozzle turns it directs that water to move the boat backward plus turning the nozzle changes the direction of movement and as we all know this was never a very effective method but most people used the reverse as an emergency brake to avoid collisions or to stop the boat once they docked it.
I realized that by placing fins along side of the reverse opening it would corral that reverse thrust and help hold the water under the boat longer thus making reverse more manageable.
So by adding fangs to just the outside of the twin nozzle setups or to both sides of the single nozzles we improved the handling of the boat in reverse by adding more control to the water exiting the nozzle.
Simple effective and no obstructions.
We have noticed that the front of the fangs must be slightly towed in for the best results, since we made the mounting holes slightly larger than the bolts it is very easy to tow the fangs in by simply loosening the mounting bolts and pushing the front of the fang all the way in toward the center of the boat and then tightening the bolts . Having a slight tow in allows the boat to track straight.
Thanks for the explanation Jeff. As always, we appreciate your passion to constantly improve your inventions to deliver us the best possible quality product at a good price.

Improving reverse maneuvering seems the be all the rage now...

Looks like you already had this topic covered with a simple design to "improve" reverse control. Simple and cheaper is better in my opinion.

However, I could see someone doing drunken backwards figure eights around buoys and the docks trying to look cool.
I suppose they would want that "edge"....
There is a market for everything in America.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
It appears we are getting a bit of a confusing cross mix of posts from one thread to another thread now that I have 2 versions of the VIPER, one for the keel boats the C J S VIPER where the front of the fins are positioned to accommodate the keel in front of the rudder and one for the non rudder VIPER N K where the front of the fins are set differently for those non keel boats also the back of the plate is different to accommodate the keel 10 mm bolt or to use the lack of that bolt for securing the VIPER N K to the new style nozzles not equipped with a keel, plus a different setup for attaching it to the older style nozzles. So they can go on most boats now early models or newer models
https://jetboaters.net/threads/viper-cobra-jet-steering.14912/page-2#post-260263