• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

VIPER Cobra Jet Steering

Vito Aiello

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It's funny how time flies, I remember the first contact I had from members of the old Yamaha board back about 15 years ago asking me to please build steering for their jet boats, I actually hesitated because the steering I was accustom to building was for round nozzles, But after many people asking and one person volunteering his boat to help me design the first set of fins that mounted on the Yamaha nozzles and I instantly became overwhelmed with orders to make steering for Yamaha jet boats. Over the decade and a half I have made many different designs to accommodate the needs of jet boat owners. Today I still do most of the work and all of the designing myself, I still believe in letting my customers sell my products by testimonials and I hope to continue on that same path. I always make changes if I see there is a need for them and I occasionally modify my designs based on the customer feedback knowing that If I can satisfy the majority And greatly improve their boating experience allowing them to get the most out of their time out on the water like I did with my family when my children were growing up. I am the one who took the time to blaze the trail toward improving jet propelled water craft steering and usefulness, first out of my own necessity and then at the request of many jet boat owners and I still get requests from people with jet drives and jet boats that I have never heard of.
Now remember the Ultimate is by far my most popular and the most versatile system available, people use those on every Yamaha jet boat made even the twin a k models when they decide to remove the rudder to deal with shallow water with a lot of obstructions.
I know that making a very effective and affordable system that is simple to install and fun to operate will actually reduce sales of my own Ultimate steering system yet I can't help myself because I love doing this even with all the headaches and all the nonsense The fact is Steering for jet boats and skies is what I do, it chose ME I didn't choose IT If I had never purchased my jet boat in 2001 and if I had never decided to fix the lack of steering, and if I did not absolutely love the change my very first steering design made to that boat I would not be here doing what I do. I didn't see someone else doing it and decide to get in the game I loved my boat and how it did exactly what I wanted when I wanted it to just like I do with my p w c's now it's what I do every single day. So thanks for enjoying MY steering systems on YOUR boat and making ME proud of what I do.
Yamaha should build a boat & call it the CJS EDITION! Thanks Jeff for your dedication!

Gonrcng

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Home and happy... Let's start there...

I started with the Thrust Vector set up and was for the most part happy .... With the exception of that damn spray ...
Anyone sitting on my rear seats was soaked as was my swim platform within minutes.. Low speed steering was great.. high speed ... Well there was spray... and no improvement over stock...

I was hesitant to drop another $100+ to try something that I had never seen anyone do a back to back comparison on . Bored and money in my pocket .. Why not

Install was super easy. Then I get to looking at it on the boat... hold things up side by side... I'm thinking "Thrust Vectors look to have WAY more surface area" No way this Cobra Jet system is coming close at idle speed....... Just no way..

Fast forward to today.. Couldn't ask for better conditions so I hit the lake. Start off at the dock just screwing around because I'm the only boat there.. 5 minutes in I look like a kid on his first roller coaster ride.... Grin from ear to ear... I am amazed at what I thought wouldn't happen. Low speed steering is AWESOME !!! Reverse steering AWESOME !!! I can pretty much put it anywhere I want.

High speed just as happy... Tracks and turns better than ever..
Hmmmmmm... That annoying spray you ask ??? GONE !!!!!!!!!!

First trip out and to say the least .... I'm pretty damn happy.. I'll follow up in a few weeks and see how everything holds up... So far ..... Jeffs got my seal of approval.

IMG_0619.JPGIMG_3019.JPG IMG_0629.PNG

Last edited:

Vito Aiello

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just purchased the CJS VIPER NK. Can't wait to try it out! Thanks jeff@cobrajetsteering.com for your help. I'll let you know
Yes had it out yesterday. Huge improvement all the way around. Slow speed maneuverability was great! I like how you don't need as much throttle to stay on plane. I think it even gets better fuel economy. Coming off plane to complete idle I have control now instead of the wake just pushing me around in a circle. High speed steering is much sharper & doesn't bleed off as much speed when you really crank it in a turn. I can even let go of the wheel and it tracks straight. I was even standing up on my seat wide open. I thought of you Jeff when you stand on your ski with no hands.This Viper is exactly what I needed. My wife even noticed I wasn't as stressed out at the lake & had a more relaxing day on the water.
Thanks again Jeff!

Sent from XFINITY Connect Mobile App

-----Original Message-----

To: vitoaiello7@comcast.net
Cc:
Sent: 2017-08-19 4:24:28 PM
Subject: did you get a chance to tey out your new steering

Following up on the steering to see if you had a chance to try it out and if you did how did you like the handling?

Virus-free. www.avast.com

Vito Aiello

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes had it out yesterday. Huge improvement all the way around. Slow speed maneuverability was great! I like how you don't need as much throttle to stay on plane. I think it even gets better fuel economy. Coming off plane to complete idle I have control now instead of the wake just pushing me around in a circle. High speed steering is much sharper & doesn't bleed off as much speed when you really crank it in a turn. I can even let go of the wheel and it tracks straight. I was even standing up on my seat wide open. I thought of you Jeff when you stand on your ski with no hands.This Viper is exactly what I needed. My wife even noticed I wasn't as stressed out at the lake & had a more relaxing day on the water.
Thanks again Jeff!

Sent from XFINITY Connect Mobile App

-----Original Message-----

To: vitoaiello7@comcast.net
Cc:
Sent: 2017-08-19 4:24:28 PM
Subject: did you get a chance to tey out your new steering

Following up on the steering to see if you had a chance to try it out and if you did how did you like the handling?

Virus-free. www.avast.com
Reverse control was just as good as forward. The viper really bites even at slow speed. Top speed was not affected negatively

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I am really also looking forward to a review from a board member who owns a 24 foot Yamaha that currently has a set of my early stainless steel steering on the boat. He will be the FIRST one to install the new VIPER N K system on a twin engine boat. I will be shipping this out in the morning and since he lives in TEXAS it should get to him in a few days.

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I can even let go of the wheel and it tracks straight
I don't think I mentioned this in my initial review, and I don't recall many others mentioning it, but this is HUGE. We run about 10 miles or so to eat quite often now that we live on the lake, and there are times I travel greater than a mile or so at WOT while walking around the boat tending to other things. Straight line tracking is virtually perfect, which is a huge plus for me with my "commute" now. No worries at all letting go of the wheel at speed.

Another super scientific result ish - I had 7 people on my boat before Viper and it would't plane at all. I had 7 people today, and it did (although I couldn't break 24mph), but it would plane.

Tom V

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Jeffs steering is far superior then the TV system, I ditched the TV set up for his, much better components, no flimsy plastic parts all tempered aluminum and excellent quality stainless hardware.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Thank you for the endorsement Tom since you are a mobile marine mechanic and you service a lot of Yamaha jet boats It really means something special coming from you so I really appreciate it.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
@Vito Aiello I need to say something about doing tricks
DO not stand on the seat running wide open with no hands, I do it on a ski with a lanyard connected to me and although I have never had the pleasure of falling off there is always that possibility so I stay at 30 mph and I can jump away from the ski should that ever occur .
There was many occasions that I have hit the water a lot harder and faster slalom skiing over the years so this does not really concern me but a boat is an entirely different situation so I hope you were just kidding. Besides I am on Medicare now so I'm covered LOL. Now do not try driving with your feet either

tomeygun

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
so after being out today (195), the forward steering, not bad and easily tolerable... But the reverse, what a joke. I mean to stop forward momentum it was great, but the idea to kick the butt around was a no go as others I'm sure know.
This is my first jet boat, but grew up on yami WB1s and squarenose's.

So I just want to get some feedback, this system shines using reverse or more so just forward?

EDIT -- LOL clearly I didnt read all the posts. Looks like reverse is greatly improved. Looks like its on the HOT list of additions.

Last edited:

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Yes I am being told the reverse is excellent, by it's very design having those fins out wider gives more travel to them and this will move the boat easily in reverse, keep in mind I just started offering the VIPER N K system I don't even have it on my web page yet so basically only people on this site and people on my facebook page know it even exists https://www.facebook.com/Cobra-jet-steering-257584527645178/?view_public_for=257584527645178
For only $159 to do a single engine and free priority shipping It is really a no brainer. Also being the first to do steering for Yamaha jet boats Year after year It should be a pretty easy decision not a risk or an unknown but the ORIGINAL !
And remember I keep the area below the nozzle between the fins free of obstructions , imagine what stress is delivered to any part that would cross between the fins at speed, at the very least drag would scrub off top speed at the worst vibrations and water spray would be created , these are the things I avoid in all my designs.
So greatly improved reverse, no spinning when you let off the throttle or circles when you idle, straight tracking at speed with instant response to the helm input, wonderful slow speed handling and you get to relax while you drive the boat because it is totally predictable and not doing it's own thing. You not only get that but the boat tracks straight so you do not need to focus on the wheel constantly turning it left and right trying to keep it in a straight line. Or dealing with boat wakes pushing your boat all over the place in heavy traffic, better hull stability in rough water & faster hole shots staying on plane at slower speeds too!
It reminds me of when I tried to explain the huge difference my P W C steering made.
I tried and tried to explain the steering for P W C's it was so impressive that it was basically unbelievable, and today I do all sorts of trick on one using my steering at 65 years old and people still just don't understand how it works , they think it's some trick but what I know for certain is that if you don't have this steering you are really missing out on ALL the capabilities of your boat. Hell I spend that much money a week just on gas for the jet skis.
So as I wonder what on earth would stop you from spending $159 to find out what you are missing from a manufacturer who was the very first to offer steering solutions for the Yamaha and other lines of boats for all these years ? Maybe I should charge more so people think they are getting some mystical deal. Ok the vipers just went up to $800 each but for you folks I will sell them to you for $159 during this solar eclipse special. so step right up today and save a ton of money,, or step right up and buy one , put it on your boat and enjoy the HELL out of your time on the water I know I do!

Vito Aiello

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
so after being out today (195), the forward steering, not bad and easily tolerable... But the reverse, what a joke. I mean to stop forward momentum it was great, but the idea to kick the butt around was a no go as others I'm sure know.
This is my first jet boat, but grew up on yami WB1s and squarenose's.

So I just want to get some feedback, this system shines using reverse or more so just forward?

EDIT -- LOL clearly I didnt read all the posts. Looks like reverse is greatly improved. Looks like its on the HOT list of additions.
The viper is the way to go! Best performance and bang for the $

Shannon

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Enjoyed reading all the posts and thoughts on the Viper N K system and ordered one. It will be here tomorrow and can't wait to get it on the boat. @veedubtek that is crazy you can let go of wheel at WOT. Hell I would just like to let go in no wake...lol

4wheeldeal

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
I'm thinking about it now too. I like the better planning and of course added steering, my wife hasn't driven the boat much but I let her take the wheel for a bit and she found it difficult vs out outboard.

Shannon

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Yeah the wife is why I picked it up. Maybe it will make it easier for her to get a feel for driving. I installed mine this morning and will be trying it out tomorrow. Really looking forward to seeing how she feels on Kerr Lake tommorow! Like Jeff @Cobra Jet Steering LLC said. Very easy to install.

Chillypilot

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Anyone try these on a twin yet? I have the ultimates with fangs now and I love them but, I'm always looking for upgrades

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I was advised that They are being tested this weekend on a 24 foot boat that had the old style fins on it originally.

Attachments

4wheeldeal

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
So would you say this would be a better option than the fins?

Vito Aiello

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So would you say this would be a better option than the fins?
I like them better because they don't hang down as far. I used to have the TV & pulling in & out of some driveways the fins would drag. They broke when the boat was pushed too close to shore from a passing boat. As far as the performance, I can't imagine anything else working as good as the VIPER N.K