• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

VIPER Cobra Jet Steering

seventyeight

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Cobra Jet Steering LLC - Jeff, I bought and installed the Cobra Venom Ultimate on my AR190 in the spring. Overall, I am pretty happy with the handling/steering at low speed (no wake mode), that is if I move forward. In reverse, different story; at times I can't turn one way (not always the same direction), and even with the steering wheel turned all the way, the boat will just go straight. And sometime works just fine... Is there anything I am doing wrong? Any tips would be appreciated..

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Not really sure what the situation is where it works one time and not the next, are you in a river or in strong currents? Is the boat loaded more one time than the other?
The Ultimate system does not have the option of mega fang plus being added on a 19 foot boat equipped with a factory rudder.
Otherwise that would be my suggestion.
I believe when operating in reverse changing directions from one way to the other you may need to stop first if you are making a hard turn to one side and then want to change to the other on a single engine boat. If it were a twin engine all you do is alternate your throttles and the boat would rotate in place or steer in reverse quite easily depending on the application of thrust to either nozzle.
Single engine setups are a challenge since you do not have that option .

thepiratemorgan

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
I'll add my two cents here. Although aftermarket steering enhancements do help, even some of the slightest breezes want to push these 19ft'ers off course at the dock. I've gotten used to using a dock pole now on windy days at the dock. It is what it is. Don't forget to add thrust as needed using the three levels of the no-wake mode, it helps as well.

seventyeight

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Not really sure what the situation is where it works one time and not the next, are you in a river or in strong currents? Is the boat loaded more one time than the other?
The Ultimate system does not have the option of mega fang plus being added on a 19 foot boat equipped with a factory rudder.
Otherwise that would be my suggestion.
I believe when operating in reverse changing directions from one way to the other you may need to stop first if you are making a hard turn to one side and then want to change to the other on a single engine boat. If it were a twin engine all you do is alternate your throttles and the boat would rotate in place or steer in reverse quite easily depending on the application of thrust to either nozzle.
Single engine setups are a challenge since you do not have that option .
Jeff - This is all inland lakes, no currents, and no loading differences. I see @thepiratemorgan suggesting wind being an issue on these boats. At least in one instance (yesterday) there was a 5-6 mph wind, and I was backing out from the launch dock - started backing up straight, then turned left (and increased the wake mode to highest setting), but did not turn. I remember wind blowing from the right as it pushed the boat away from the dock (single person launch) by the time I gout out of the car to move the line from the trailer to dock.
I will try to see how any wind, and different wind directions affect the reverse maneuverability. I'll also try turn from stationary v. turn from moving as well...

Thank you guys

Cristian

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
remember your boat has the ultimate system, it focuses on forward steering from idle to wide open throttle and high speed handling tracking and water sport activities, those fins are behind the nozzle so they can help somewhat in reverse but the mega fang plus fins are designed to go forward of the nozzle and provide several benefits including better reverse control and more useable reverse thrust, however those will not work with the 19 foot boats equipped with a keel except the fangs built into the c j s viper.

Matts18

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I occasionally notice the situation you are describing and it is normal for a single engine boat. The boat needs to be moving in reverse for the keel and the viper's built in fangs to work. Not that it matters, but I noticed the same sensation of not being able to turn in reverse on our old single engine sterndrive.

mdchachi

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I'll jump into this thread
@Cobra Jet Steering LLC - Jeff, I bought and installed the Cobra Venom Ultimate on my AR190 in the spring. Overall, I am pretty happy with the handling/steering at low speed (no wake mode), that is if I move forward. In reverse, different story; at times I can't turn one way (not always the same direction), and even with the steering wheel turned all the way, the boat will just go straight. And sometime works just fine... Is there anything I am doing wrong? Any tips would be appreciated..
I installed the Cobra Ultimates last weekend plus the lateral thrusters from another company. The thrusters take care of the reverse issue while still keeping the benefits of the fins.
The other option would be the Cobra Vipers with fangs (which I haven't tried myself).

seventyeight

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'll jump into this thread

I installed the Cobra Ultimates last weekend plus the lateral thrusters from another company. The thrusters take care of the reverse issue while still keeping the benefits of the fins.
The other option would be the Cobra Vipers with fangs (which I haven't tried myself).
Thanks, for the info. I see your profile shows you right by me. Where do you go out? I do mostly Orchard and Cass lakes.

mdchachi

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Thanks, for the info. I see your profile shows you right by me. Where do you go out? I do mostly Orchard and Cass lakes.
I didn't even notice your location! You're the closest member to me I've found so far. This summer we've been on four lakes -- Cass, Orchard, Wolverine & Loon (Wixom).