• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

VIPER Cobra Jet Steering

Vito Aiello

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Any 19 footers out there have any experience with the Viper from cobra jet steering?

SamCF

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
I'm looking for more feedback as well.

I'm tired of the spray the TV's throw on the swim platform. 3 miles at top speed and it's completely soaked.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
There are several threads on this site referring to the viper most are on the f s h section I believe

Yamahasx190_2017

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I would also like to know more about the how the viper works on our 19ft boats. I am particularly interested in higher speed handling and control. The price of $160 + shopping is not crazy expense but would suck if this does not really make a difference in the performance of the boat.

https://cobrajetsteering.com/cobra-viper.html

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I would also like to know more about the how the viper works on our 19ft boats. I am particularly interested in higher speed handling and control. The price of $160 + shopping is not crazy expense but would suck if this does not really make a difference in the performance of the boat.

https://cobrajetsteering.com/cobra-viper.html
15 minutes to install it and 30 days to try it or return it for a refund lots of people are buying them and I have not heard of anyone who did not love the results even when one ran into a submerged stone wall in a river he sent his back to be fixed under the warranty and purchased a second one so he would never be without it if he hit another rock wall.
https://jetboaters.net/threads/cobra-jet-viper.13241/

Midnight2V

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have the CJS venom viper kit and I can assure you the kit performs exceptionally well.
The attitude of the boat is completely changed on plane. It cuts through the water rather than on top. No more porpoising or teeth rattling chop. In fact it feels like a significantly larger boat in rough water at speed. I have no doubt as I increase the performance of the boat and top speed goes up, the smooth ride will be extremely beneficial.

The difference in low speed/off plane turning is simply unreal. There truly is no comparison to a stock unit.

Reverse is now a useable feature instead of wishful thinking.

As satisfied as I am with the unit, my family is even more so. They used to be very annoyed with the performance, especially at no wake speeds and WOT. Now, they are trying to figure out what I did, other than spend a very small amount of money on the boat, to radically improve their boating experience.

Vito Aiello

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Good to hear. I want that for my boat. Slow speed maneuverability on my boat sucks. Especially with no keel, just the nozzle. I'm hoping to have more enjoyable days on the water instead of stressful ones

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
This new viper N K is designed to mount on not only the new style nozzles with the castings and 10mm mount on the back of the nozzle but also the early style nozzles that do not have the casting on the nozzle, so we will be able to put this particular one on either style nozzle therefore it can mount on some of the older hulls like the ls2000 or exciters. It should get really interesting . Fangs fins and planning surfaces all in one for a low price and real reverse . With a 5 minute simple plug and play install !

Vito Aiello

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Jeff can you please do a YouTube video for the viper n k

Gonrcng

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Has anyone gone from the TV to this and have any input ? I also hate the spray from the TV's and so does anyone in a tube behind me. Sprays them right in the face on a std rope length ... That said the performance of them is worth it.
If these are as good and get rid of the two other issues ... I'm all in.

John Perkins

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
How is the overall performance? Does the ride surface help with better holeshot & quicker planning
I think it's better, however my reason for getting it was better handling at slow speeds so I wasn't really gauging how well it performed out of the hole as a reference point. I do believe it get's up on plane quicker now, but that could be just in mind. :)

Vito Aiello

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think it's better, however my reason for getting it was better handling at slow speeds so I wasn't really gauging how well it performed out of the hole as a reference point. I do believe it get's up on plane quicker now, but that could be just in mind. :)
I've had frustrating days on the water with no slow speed steering. Getting the boat on the trailer has been stressful. Hoping the viper will help out. Just ordered it for the non keel boat I have a 2015 AR190

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other

Midnight2VActive Member

Boat Make:
Yamaha
Year:
Boat Model:
AR192
Boat Length:
Well, I have to say, this Cobra Jet Steering CJS Venom Viper package is absolutely fantastic! This is a total game changer at all sub-planing speeds and cruising speeds. If you have a single engine, articulating keel equipped Yamaha - THIS IS A MUST HAVE ITEM!

Installation was incredibly simple and brief. One 12mm, 13mm, and 17mm, and 2 10mm wrenches are all that is needed along with some Loctite blue. Maybe 20 mins tops.

I took the boat out for several hours, in semi-rough conditions, as much as 2.5 feet of chop and 20 knots of wind. Crowded lake with lots of traffic.

The fins make low speed steering incredibly responsive, and they ease the problem with stall while turning left considerably. The fact that the fins are below the hull, and yet, not below the keel is just genius. It very nearly feels like an outdrive when using any level of thrust. Even when coasting, you have a considerably level of control still available. At speed you will notice considerably more force is required to reach the stop on the steering wheel...thats how much steering this system adds.

The mini trim plate is an incredible advantage for reduced throttle at cruising speeds, and reduces the affect of chop considerably. The boat used to need 5800-6000 rpm to get on plane and 5600 to maintain plane. Now it will get on plane at 5500 and hold plane as low as 5100. Obviously that may change in flat water though. What used to be annoying chop at 1 to 1.5 ft is nearly gone. Where 1.5 to 2.5 ft used to be teeth rattling, now it is entirely tolerable.

Thank you so much Jeff! At your current price for this system, it is an incredible bargain and benefit to your fellow boaters.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
  1. JDinflaWell-Known Member
  2. Boat Make:
  3. Yamaha
  4. Year:
  5. 2016
  6. Boat Model:
  7. FSH Sport
  8. Boat Length:
  9. 19
  10. These work! They do everything expected of them.
    I have been very hesitant to mount anything that sticks down below the factory keel, because of the shallow water we fish and boat. We even glassed in our transducer in side the hull so we didn't have in sticking off the back of the transom. When I saw this I thought maybe this will be the ticket for better handling and after a hour and half test ride yesterday we are very impressed.

11. Last edited: Mar 30, 2017

1. JDinflaWell-Known Member

Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    FSH Sport
    Boat Length:
    On our test ride with the Viper fins yesterday, the first thing I noticed was having much better control in reverse at the boat dock. The next thing I noticed was the slow speed tracking was improved. When it was time to get on plane the boat definitely jumped on plane quicker and stayed on plane with less throttle when slowing down. At high speeds I don't know how much the planing affect will come into play because it seems like the planing surface is higher than the ride plate but at slower speeds and mid speeds it works great. At speed the boat will definitely carve tighter turns. I was concerned about it catching seagrass in the water but that never was an issue. On our test ride I wasn't loaded like a usual fishing trip but still had a friend with us and some gear but everything the boat did seemed better even crossing oncoming boat wakes at medium to lower speeds.
    The trim tab effect at lower speeds is really a nice feature.
    I would like to tell you guys that my boat went the fastest it has in six months but that may be just because I didn't have my usual amount of fishing gear on board.
    Definitely looking forward to our second trip.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Last edited:

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
It's funny how time flies, I remember the first contact I had from members of the old Yamaha board back about 15 years ago asking me to please build steering for their jet boats, I actually hesitated because the steering I was accustom to building was for round nozzles, But after many people asking and one person volunteering his boat to help me design the first set of fins that mounted on the Yamaha nozzles and I instantly became overwhelmed with orders to make steering for Yamaha jet boats. Over the decade and a half I have made many different designs to accommodate the needs of jet boat owners. Today I still do most of the work and all of the designing myself, I still believe in letting my customers sell my products by testimonials and I hope to continue on that same path. I always make changes if I see there is a need for them and I occasionally modify my designs based on the customer feedback knowing that If I can satisfy the majority And greatly improve their boating experience allowing them to get the most out of their time out on the water like I did with my family when my children were growing up. I am the one who took the time to blaze the trail toward improving jet propelled water craft steering and usefulness, first out of my own necessity and then at the request of many jet boat owners and I still get requests from people with jet drives and jet boats that I have never heard of.
Now remember the Ultimate is by far my most popular and the most versatile system available, people use those on every Yamaha jet boat made even the twin a k models when they decide to remove the rudder to deal with shallow water with a lot of obstructions.
I know that making a very effective and affordable system that is simple to install and fun to operate will actually reduce sales of my own Ultimate steering system yet I can't help myself because I love doing this even with all the headaches and all the nonsense The fact is Steering for jet boats and skies is what I do, it chose ME I didn't choose IT If I had never purchased my jet boat in 2001 and if I had never decided to fix the lack of steering, and if I did not absolutely love the change my very first steering design made to that boat I would not be here doing what I do. I didn't see someone else doing it and decide to get in the game I loved my boat and how it did exactly what I wanted when I wanted it to just like I do with my p w c's now it's what I do every single day. So thanks for enjoying MY steering systems on YOUR boat and making ME proud of what I do.

Last edited: