• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

VIPER Cobra Jet Steering

4wheeldeal

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
I like them better because they don't hang down as far. I used to have the TV & pulling in & out of some driveways the fins would drag. They broke when the boat was pushed too close to shore from a passing boat. As far as the performance, I can't imagine anything else working as good as the VIPER N.K
Well my wife's sold, so that means I'm ok to buy it lol.

Last edited:

paratrooper39

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have fins as well and even though I'm not using the boat a lot these days I'm damn near about to make this purchase because I like the way they are lower profile and the ability to help get the boat up a little faster!

Rufusthedog

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just purchased one myself. I need my wife to be as comfortable as possible so she can pull me around on wake boards. :) Thanks to Jeff and the forum.

Midnight2V

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
An added bonus the fins provide for towing, the boat's aft end is going to walk a LOT LESS when you torque out to right/left limits on your board. I tried a couple of times on my board before we got our fins, and at 220 pounds, I could seriously make the boat wag its tail consistently. Its a thing I hate when I am boarding as I was spoiled by my previous boat (Malibu 247 RX). I can't do this anymore to any significant degree, now that the fins are installed.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
There may be a few days delay on shipping current orders due to the post office being closed since Saturday for out little visitor IRMA.

Shannon

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Been meaning to chime in and tell you guys how awesome the Viper unit is. I now have 2 seasons with the 16 192 and wifey has only driven once for literally minutes. She just keep saying I can't keep this pos straight. Why did you buy this. :mad: It sucked big time hearing her say that,as she is pretty good behind the wheel of a car. I wanted her to enjoy driving the boat. Fast forward 2 years and 3 outings in the last 2 weeks. I now can't keep her hands off the wheel.. It's best described by @veedubtek posts. You can literally hold it wide open and with no hands.(No boats around when we did this) In calm to a little choppy waters the boat stays straight as can be... Crazy Awesome! The boat just feels planted in the water! No more tail wagging out the back end! At slow speeds and at dock? One word (Awesome) The boat should come from Yamaha this way.. Last week at Kerr we had winds 15 to 20 mph. Had some really big waves for a NC Lake and the boat handled it like a champ. Needless to say The wifey and I give all of our thumbs up! Nice job Jeff @Cobra Jet Steering LLC !!!! Thanks for making such a beneficial and very good quality product.

IMG_2518.JPG IMG_2519.JPG

Attachments

Rufusthedog

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just installed mine last night. I won't post any additional pictures as they'll look the same as above.

This thread has a lot of good information; my additions are below and from the perspective of a computer programmer that is not exactly mechanically inclined and a first-time boat owner:

My boat is 2017 AR190.
  1. Watch the youtube video for your CJS model on jeff's cobra jet steering channel. This along with the included directions helped me understand what i was doing.
  2. Jeff mentions in the youtube video you should see a single thread coming into the nozzle... make sure you see that. The first time i did it I actually tightened it snug, and didn't see the thread. Things weren't correct, i'm glad i took it apart and did it again. This thread poking into the nozzle is the one I put a small dab of super glue on as a back up to the thread lock.
  3. I found it easiest to actually lay on the ground by the back of the boat.
  4. I haven't really worked with thread lock before. It takes 10 minutes to set (as per the directions). It took me all of that 10 minutes to fiddle with the nozzle bolt and get all the washers lined up and the threads through. 24 hours to cure.
  5. I think it looks kind of cool. It looks like it's going to turn really good and plane fast (as everyone mentioned.)
  6. On my boat the cobra jet steering does not hang down any further than the Yamaha articulating keel... so don't worry about hitting anything additional in shallow water, or on the trailer in steep drive ways.
  7. I was a little confused on what part i was ordering. I actually incorrectly ordered the NK version... i knew my boat had a keel but i didn't think it was really a keel like a traditional one... (first time boat owner). I actually didn't even realize initially the NK stood for "No Keel"... I was thinking the Viper should be the "K" model? I still don't get it exactly but it looks correct.
  8. As a testament of Jeff's dedication to customer service:
    Jeff gave me a call and got me the right part. He actually didn't have phone service after Irma, so his daughter called me, explained the issue, then i eventually got in touch with Jeff. I explained "this isn't as important as getting power and taking care of yourself... i can wait" but he insisted on getting to the post office, working from a generator, etc. etc. He was 100% focused on getting my order correct and out the door.
Also, I can't say enough good things about Jeff. He's a top-notch business owner and I'm happy to have purchased from him.

I'll let you know how it performs this weekend. Thanks everyone.

Some links:
Jeff's youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC97UHd1944UFnXkCcf6nRCA
Cobra Jet Steering Home page: https://cobrajetsteering.com/

Last edited:

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Thank you all for your patience and support , in my 65 years I have never dealt with not having power for 8 days and 6 hours, I ran things off my marine batteries and I had a small 5.5 hp 110v emergency generator that kept my refrigerator and freezer going The thing never stopped running it was never intended to be used for so long but thankfully it ran like a top. My computer would not operate on that dirty power source so I was S O L on that . I did figure out how to get my land line working off the generator as I have bright house so the phone needs power to the box for it to work. And as for my steering I am so happy that you like them but never let the wife drive as you learned she will take over and make you sit in the passenger seat. Or take the boat and only return when it needs gas.

Rufusthedog

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Here's my update this far:

So, I have only really driven my boat twice before installing the steering, and I wasn't confident. I had the mindset "this will be fun when i figure it out".

Fast forward a few weeks and now with the cobra jet steering last weekend, i was fully confident, in traffic, at the launch/dock/anywhere. It's totally changed everything for me and now it's fun.

Even if I eventually had gotten comfortable with the normal steering, the cobra jet steering is a must have for me because:
1. Time to plane; I feel like my engine works less-hard (lower rpms) while cruising. (Therefore less noise, easier to talk over, probably less gas). I'm not sure, but it felt like with just me in the boat it was at plane around 12 miles an hour.
2. Reverse is actually predictable now. I can confidently back into a slip and use the swim platform to let on my wife and kid, and my dad with a bad knee.
3. It drives straight without me constantly having to correct it. It just goes straight as it should.

All in all the CJS made me happy i chose a yamaha jetboat... my first day out i was actually a little nervous i had made a mistake.

I'll report back what my wife says as she starts driving more, but it's a blast at this point and I'm just seeing how much time i can get in the water before it starts to get colder out.

Thanks again, -Joe

Last edited:

Wr3ckdiver

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
How does the VIPER Cobra Jet Steering compare to the Thrust Vector? I have the Thrust Vector on my boat but considering the Viper......

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
The viper was designed to have a lot less depth but give way more influence at all speeds and in reverse plus idle speed you may want to ask some of the people who have done what you are considering doing, everyone loves the viper .
There are numerous threads but it is totally superior in every way and it gives you faster hole shots and more stable ride in rough water and straight track at speed. And everyone will want to drive the boat once you install it.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
However you need to understand it is a very expensive $159.00 and this complex system takes 15 minutes to install and it may cause premature wrinkles from smiling when you drive the boat so tell the admiral and that may keep her from wanting to drive all the time.

Paulie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Jeff,
I'm considering the Viper setup for my SX230. Have you had any feedback from your customer with the twin engine viper install?

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I had a hell of a time getting ahold of him with me being in Florida and still cleaning up from the storm, I spend most of my time replacing a huge fence and roofing and removing a tree that fell in the hurricane and he being in Texas but he did tell me just recently if he gets a day with no rain he wants to test it out on his 24 foot boat that he had my older system on I know he has it mounted on the boat and I hope he gets back to me soon. But as of yet I have no feedback from that test.

Paulie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks Jeff! I hated to even ask because I know you all have a lot on your plate right now.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
No problem however I am killing myself out in 91 degree heat " in the shade" but there is no shade on the roof, it is so damn hot !!! This actually started days before the hurricane and I believe it will take me another week to get things back to normal around here but I plan on going to the water this weekend because I earned it lol,
Just curious if you have any steering on the boat currently ?
Also keep in mind all my steering systems have a 30 day guarantee so it is really no big deal since the steering is guaranteed to make you happy or you send it back within 30 days for a refund.

Paulie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Man, I hate working on the roof. I feel your pain.
I originally had what I think was your second generation cobras. Then I installed a set of thrust vectors which I have had for three seasons now. I like to experiment and I thought I was missing the "jetboat feel" but now I'm not so sure. I was going to pull the trigger on the new lateral thrust enhancement system from jbp but the viper set up has me re-thinking things.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Ok the customer who is going to try this twin setup has a 24 foot boat that was equipped with my early type steering .
Jumping up from a 19 foot boat to a 24 foot boat is a big difference , however the twin engine set should easily handle the difference. Twice the effect and the further apart the fins are the more effect it has. Remember the twin set will have the outermost fins considerably further from the center of the boat than the single engine setup.
The design is fairly simple to understand, placing the fins further apart gives them more movement "TRAVEL" when the nozzle is turned so they have much more effect without needing to go way down in the water , having a planning surface captures the water between the fins and under the nozzle so it lifts the back of the boat during hole shots and stabilizes the hull in rough conditions.
Having the fangs built in gives a nice reduction in resistance of the nozzle turning and the fins biting in the water at speed thus the power steering effect of having your fins "RUDDERS" go forward of the pivot point.
The fangs deal with the design of the Yamaha nozzles expelling their reverse thrust under the nozzles to obtain a reverse and breaking force when the controls are placed in reverse mode, so having fangs directing this water under the hull does two things, it provides you with excellent reverse control and improves stopping power for emergency stopping when needed "MOST PEOPLE DO THIS AUTOMATICALLY" if they realize they are about to collide with the dock or other object. Steering in reverse is important stopping in an emergency is also important, hull stability and instant response to the helm at speed very important as is having control of the boat in a loss of power or emergency rapid deceleration situation. So I have no doubt this system is going to be very popular based on the reviews from single engine customers so far .

Last edited:

Spooling

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm comfortable with the handling of my AR190, but all this talk sure does tempt me. Are there any downsides?