• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

NEW YAMAHA ENTRY-LEVEL PWC ... The "V1" - Test Video !

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Cheap cheap cheap! Why do manufacturers think producing a stripped down cheap machine is good?????? Bad move Yamaha!

No reverse! That seems like a blatant safety issue. No way I would put my kids on one.

I actually think it's a Good move by Yamaha and here's why.
First off you have to compete with the Seadoo Spark. Price talks to buyers.
Second is that people are more likely to go cheaper on a Waverunner especially first time buyers.
Third is probably the best reason is the Rental Business- They are all about bottom line. Why spend 10K on a waverunner, abuse it and then sell it next year or two years later when I can spend 5K and then sell it. Less money up front.

but for the record, I myself would not buy the bottom of line Waverunner. You truly do get what you pay for in that department.

I also think it's a good move on Yamaha's part to throw it back at the Polaris Spark.
I do question their decision to offer a model with no reverse! WTF???

I saw the video and browsed through the write up this morning. I didn't hear or see the prices but expect the v1 to be cheaper because it lacks a boarding step and reverse bucket that the v1 sport have. Also can't tell how much hp the engine puts out but assume it is 160hp as a 1,052 cc. If so its a little slow since my 06 fx cruiser a 160 hp motor weighs about the same but tips out at 59 mph for comparison my 06 fx cruiser with a 140 hp 998 cc motor is heavier than the v1 and tops out at 52 mph. I also don't see how these are any different than the vx series of Waverunners other than those had 110 hp motors. I believe that all current waverunners are about the same width (4') and length (10' to 11'). Unless this things is as "inexpensive" as the spark yamaha missed the a big part of mark imho. With basically the same dimensions and weight as the rest of the waverunner lineup it won't be as nimble as the sparks.

I don't really see any difference from their low level vx110, looks like the same thing just a different sales strategy. Compared to the spark a vx110 or this model is probably hands down a better choice. There are many reasons that the Yamaha is a better way to go, easy access to the engine is one, hull size is 2 and the hull material is 3 . most likely the hp is 110, that is also better than the spark .

Funny I also carry those in my skies for emergency propulsion systems !

Funny I also carry those in my skies for emergency propulsion systems !
I've had to propel a ski about 3/4 mile by throwing the anchor out in front and pulling my way in -- never again! Fold up paddles are in all PWCs now.

I have 2 anchors and a paddle in each of mine . If the wind is blowing the correct way you can open the hood and use it as a sail to help you as you paddle.

This looks like what someone like myself would be in the market for. I really wouldn't want to spend a ton of money on a ski but would still like to have one. I don't need all of the bells and whistles just something to go have a little fun on. I look at reverse like this, just a donut away. :D At least regarding my banshee.

Not really a comparisant to Seadoo's Spark, the Sparks modern and has a much better appeal IMO. The Yam looks like a real grandad ski.
Yamaha need to come up with a modern day Blaster, fun, light, cheap but appealing.

YEA like the sea doo 3D BARF!

They said in the video, the sport version has reverse and a fold down ladder.

Per yamaha's site the v1 lists for $7,700 and the v1 sport is $8,500. The sport does have reverse and a boarding ladder. For comparison the least expensive Seadoo spark lists for $5,000. After taxes and fees I'm guessing the v1 would have an out the door price of about $10,000 from my local dealer. Again for comparison, the out the door price on the least expensive spark from my dealer is $6,800. If this was a price war Yamaha would be losing, by a lot.

http://yamahawaverunners.com/versatility/v1

http://yamahawaverunners.com/versatility/v1-sport

http://www.sea-doo.com/watercraft/sea-doo-spark.html

I don't think so @Ronnie Put the spark to a 3 seat and convenience package and they get to 6600. Not too far away from the Yamaha. Add in the higher horsepower engine that the Yamaha has and I would say they are priced comparable to the spark.

You all seem to make excellent points.
However, the buyer of a "low-priced Entry Level" PWC is NOT interested in features and comparisons .......... Not whatsoever !

Looking at who offers the most H.P., or does this have a Reverse, or does this have a boarding ladder, or does this carry 3 people or only 2.

The ONLY thing that buyer is interested in is ONE THING ! .............

How LOW a price do I need to pay so that I, and/or my kids, can go jet ski riding !

And the dealers tell me the same thing. It's a Fact, Jack !

Remember one thing as y'all continue this discussion .......

"NEVER LET FACTS GET IN THE WAY OF A GOOD STORY !"

And y'all heard that from me today ! LOL !

In the meantime, let me wish everyone just a SPLENDID THANSKGIVING !
I am off to fire up the big offset firebox smoker and start cooking my injected turkey with seasoned Hickory & Southern red oak ! Yooooo Babeeeeeeeeeeee !
Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA

GOOD NEWS - X3.gif

Well I still think the Yamaha V1 ski is just the vx110 by another name. Probably brought on by them adding the 1800 engine to the line. And if you are BUYING PRICE rather than a product, I would agree that the spark is the lower price ski. However entry level is sketchy since the market is targeting people who generally have NO IDEA. The old saying that ignorance is bliss is followed with education is expensive. Compare the usability of the two, the lack of any real access to the engine really concerns me on the spark, the width relates to stability or in this case a lack of it. The hulls are not repairable, If you break it you have to replace it . This was explained to me by a dealer asking me to build steering for them to help "ENTRY LEVEL" inexperienced operators avoid collisions etc. It reminds me of a toy and in that context it is just fine but for any serious person who spends a lot of time on a ski who uses one for more than just driving in close proximity to their beach blanket doing sit and spins I believe it to be very limited in it's usability.
This may be what happened to the 3D. I always recommend the Yamaha vx110 to people getting their first ski, they will not usually outgrow it in a season or two, they can take a passenger without the constant fear of or actually tipping over when they turn at idle speed. Nor do they have a big issue re-boarding one in deep water. Especially with 2 people on it. And the utility of pulling people on boards tubes or skies is always a big plus. Just my input from someone who has over a decade of experience on all sorts of p w c's and usually several hundred hours of run time each year.
Of all the different skies I have owned and put hundreds of hours on each I personally like the fx ho cruiser over the vx110 but for a new person entering the sport I would recommend the vx110 every time, for utility, price, reliability, and safety along with resale value and it's good reputation after being on the market for numerous years. That is likely why most rental places use those. Safe to say a novice won't outgrow it in their first season. A person buying based on price alone is usually disillusioned fairly quickly and ends up spending more in the end fixing their mistake. But everyone has different opinions.

Back