• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Newbie - End of First Year Boat Maintence

QuakeTen

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Hello,

I am wrapping up my first season with a boat and wanted to ask about what to do once I take it out of the water. I'll be taking it out in a few weeks and wanted to see what I needed to prepare to do.

For starters, I will be taking into the local dealer to get my 10-hour maintenance done as I am just over the 10-hour mark.

Since the boat has been in the water since June, I figured I would need to clean the hull as my lake tends to leave a stain. So, I already bought a boat brush and some cleaner. I figured I would do a light pressuring washing of the hull and then use the cleaner per the direction.

So my questions ... Should I also wax the boat? If so, how? Do I buy an angle buffer and wax or just use the stray on and wipe off wax? Is there anything specific for the gel coat? I really liked that slick clean feel when it came home from the dealer.

The boat will be stored in my garage where the temps stay above 32 deg F. for the winter.

Thanks and sorry for the rookie questions.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hi, @QuakeTen. First, check out the FAQ (link at the top of your screen). Many of the basic questions are answered there.

As to the 10 hour service, I had my dealer do mine, but $450 later, I regretted it. Basically it is an oil change. Consider doing it yourself. See the FAQ...

Yes on the cleaning... and I would say yes on the wax. I don't do mine enough, but wax at least once a season will help keep your boat pretty and protect from deterioration. A buffer will save your arm, as boats are a bit bigger than cars. I got a Griot's and it is wonderful (though a little pricier than some). Spray wax you can use, but a paste or liquid is better. Nothing specific for gel coat.

Also consider getting a bottle of Hot Sauce for between waxes. Wonderful stuff. Takes care of water spots and leaves a light wax coat. Some members even report they use that every trip and then skip the wax.

Hope that helps some.