• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Newbie gun ownership

Benny Sibbitt

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

Mystic1906

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've been trying to get my wife to go with me but no go. She grew up in a very violent country and doesn't like guns in any form. Eight year old isn't mature enough yet to go with me but I have had talks with him about the differences between his Nerf guns and my CC. I'm cautious with him but I worry more about his friends from the neighborhood enticing him to mess around with my guns.

I carry a S&W M&P Shield 9mm and have an older S&W 910 that stays at home in the safe for HD. I am lusting after a Colt 6920 but I'm looking for a good deal first.

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I want to grab a small 380 for my wife to carry. I am not home enough but we have a few handguns at the house and she can shoot. She loves my 1911 though. Just not an easy CCW IMO.

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I had her shoot my Glock 42 which is a 380. She wasn't crazy about it. It could have been that she had her thumb too high near the back of the gun on the first shot and the slide nicked her thumb and she started bleeding profusly though???? I told her that was my fault. I should have paid attention to her hand placement on the gun. I was more concerned with proper technique while loading and general handling of the gun while at the range. I loaded the gun for her the first few times with the 22. Then I wanted her to learn how to properly insert the clip, load the gun, and eject the clip without my help. #1 rule that I stressed the most is keep the gun pointed down range throughout this exercise. Close 2nd and just as important as #1 is keep your trigger finger straight and out of the trigger guard while loading and unloading gun. She did great. Was very easy to teach.

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Ya that can ruin a day with an injury like that. Hope she still wants to and is healing up

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hit the range today for some CCW instruction and range time. Yep ---- got the bug!

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
more unsure than ever, Went to the range today and rented three different guns to carry,
Ruger LCP II 380 (it's definitely small)
Springfield XD Mod 2, 3" 9mm
Glock 43 9mm

At 7 yds I probably shot the Springfield the most accurate but they were all reasonable,
@Bruce I looked for a range that had a Kahr 380 but couldn't find one close by,

Mystic1906

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I love my CC. It's a S&W M&P Shield 9". Fires nice, conceals well, and fits my hand nicely. Try it out and see. I shopped for a long time before making the decision on the M&P.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Scottintexas, if you are up for a four hour drive you have a place to stay and the opportunity to try the KAHR in 380 and 9MM.

I have a XDS 45 which I believe to be pretty similar to the XD Mod 2. It is a great gun. It lives in a safe. The KAHR PM9 is a 3/4" smaller in two dimensions and 1/3" in the third with the same length barrel and quite a bit lighter than the XD Mod 2, 3" 9mm. For me that means the difference in a pocket and a holster. If I am carrying IWB it is a full sized XD 45.

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
more unsure than ever, Went to the range today and rented three different guns to carry,
Ruger LCP II 380 (it's definitely small)
Springfield XD Mod 2, 3" 9mm
Glock 43 9mm

At 7 yds I probably shot the Springfield the most accurate but they were all reasonable,
@Bruce I looked for a range that had a Kahr 380 but couldn't find one close by,

Love my XD Mod 2! Also Springfield is giving away four magazines and a holster for free with any purchase!

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Got the range bag, electronic ears and ordered the itarget pro. Anybody use the itarget system?

IMG_3558.JPG

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Got the XD mod2 4" 9mm in bi-tone for home and range .......I'm in love! CC weapon will be chosen after I put a few thousand rounds through the XD-Mod2.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
No idea what the itarget system is but I do know I don't wan't to be the target. Sorry had to but then I looked it up. Pretty neat and I could see myself getting one. You could set up some CC and home defense drills with that in a safe fashion at home. That said nothing substitutes for putting rounds down range. The noise, smell, recoil, etc.

Keep at it and don't forget to pick up an NRA membership if you have not already.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
No idea what the itarget system is but I do know I don't wan't to be the target. Sorry had to but then I looked it up. Pretty neat and I could see myself getting one. You could set up some CC and home defense drills with that in a safe fashion at home. That said nothing substitutes for putting rounds down range. The noise, smell, recoil, etc.

Keep at it and don't forget to pick up an NRA membership if you have not already.
If I understand the professional instructors correctly, they preach to learn the trigger pull/aim by dry firing. With that muscle memory learned, the real shot at the range will be on point. The iTarget should help with the trigger pull/aim and a draw from concealed carry or OWB holster. I got some dummy 9mm ammo to help learn the jam clear as well.

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Got the XD mod2 4" 9mm in bi-tone for home and range .......I'm in love! CC weapon will be chosen after I put a few thousand rounds through the XD-Mod2.
Love the mod 2 line! Go ahead and buy yourself a CC size too while the mags are free. Enjoy!!

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Here's a link to the iTarget explanation....

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
If I understand the professional instructors correctly, they preach to learn the trigger pull/aim by dry firing. With that muscle memory learned, the real shot at the range will be on point. The iTarget should help with the trigger pull/aim and a draw from concealed carry or OWB holster. I got some dummy 9mm ammo to help learn the jam clear as well.
I 100% agree. There is something different about live ammo like knowing what that first failure to fire or jam while firing really feels like (have someone insert a dummy round in the middle of your mag at the range without you knowing) and I far more enjoy live ammo is more what I was driving at. You seem to be taking a deliberate approach to being a great firearm owner and being effective at personal defense. Be careful it can be addictive and addictive gets expensive.

The iTarget looks like a good training tool and fun at the same time. I really will have to consider picking one up.