• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Newbie, have questions about LS2000 and jet boats

Roof Man

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Mechanical in nature, but have not owned a jet boat before! (I know, I know ... what was I thinking!? lol)

Have read about doing the Pre-mix conversion (getting rid of the oil tank and all) ... right now, it "may" be an option, as I found that, looks like the oil reservoir is filled with "4 stroke" Yamalube! (boat has 2 - 2 stroke engines!) Sigh ... another thing to do on my list. Not sure if I'll get it on the water this year ... :((

So I assume that I have to empty that out as much as I can to put the 2 stroke oil in. May think about the conversion now. LOL

ALSO... if anyone can respond, Questions!!!
* Yes, need both windscreens / windshields, if anyone comes across them!
1) So you can't buy a spark plug wires to replace the old ones, as in auto's!? (I see where I can send the wires/coil covers in to get redone)
2) Are basic "high flow" Fuel Filters ok to use!? I assume a 1/4" line (can't find specs on any of the layouts online of the boat), without paper in them? They go for $2-5each, where-as anything Yamaha branded (even the 3rd party fuel filters) are $25ea+
3) Assume to TRY and use Ethanol free gas, if I can find it. Trailering the boat, and won't be used as often as most do. Will use StaBil
4) Anyone know of a person/place to get "hands on" help!? (Dallas, Tx area) A place close that works on these, says he's booked into January! (wow!)
5) After I moved it, pulled it to a new home on the trailer, had a strong smell of gas, but couldn't find any anywhere... hmmmm
6) Seems all wires are hooked to "one" marine battery, and there's a new smaller one, but not hooked up... a problem!? Can both engines work off of 1 battery or does it need to be wired to 2/both at all times?
7) Have ordered new spark plugs... IF I get it all started/running, just use them as is for the short time remaining this year? Or go ahead and replace them now and also use them next season?
8) Still need to "change out" the oil lines (if I keep them! lol) There was a place to order a "kit" for this/these wasn't there!? And the gas lines too? (and more!?)
9) Rear sear back seems to be "falling." Any way to repair or fix the support or frame of that? (without replacing it)
10) Etc etc etc .... sure I'm missing things but ... whew, got myself into a "time machine" for sure!

Thanks for the help and guidance!

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hello, welcome and congratulations on the new boat! Sorry it has taken so long to get you some answers. Mine is a much newer boat (and I never had an LS). But I think I have picked up enough here to give you some answers... So, here we go:

a) My first boat is this one and I knew basically nothing about them. But I am mechanical in nature and have done cars. I found out that these are very well within my skill set. You will be fine.
2) Update your profile to put Dallas in there. That will help you with number 4. People can then see on the member map who is close (and can look on the side when you are asking for help). We have several very good members up in the Dallas area.
iii) Parts -- see the FAQ. Yamaha Parts & Suzuki Parts, Motorcycles, ATVs & Accessories is my goto.
D) There are some who insist that many filters (oil, fuel, etc.) need to be Yamaha because they are of a higher quality. I am skeptical that any higher quality is warranted. I use Fram and STP oil filters. I don't know if I would go all the way to generic, but basically if you have what you would put in your car, you can put it in your boat.
e) I use Stabil 360 every fillup and have basically only put ethanolled gas in my boat. I use it frequently enough, too. Never had an issue.
6) Strong gas smell is a major concern. Don't start it until you get that figured out. You have a high explosion risk with gas vapor (more so than the liquid form).
vii) Batteries: very common to have 2 engines hooked to 1 battery. I do... Smaller battery may have been for a trolling motor or something. Odd that it is not connected, tho.
ate) Replace them. You don't really know when they were last done and these boats are very sensitive to bad plugs. In fact, if it is running funny, the first thing everyone will tell you is to replace the plugs. Save yourself a step and some grief and throw them in awhile. Recommend changing them every year on a 2 stroke (I do mine every other year on the 4 stroke), regardless of hours.
Nein) I am worthless on the oil line question... Can tell you many people change out and go to the premix on these boats. Not because the mixing system itself is bad (it is actually pretty convenient). Apparently one of the hoses has a tendency to fail/come off without warning and without any notice when it does. Basically, your engine dies and when you open it up you find that it is fried because it has been getting no oil...
10) On the seatback, see Yamaha Parts & Suzuki Parts, Motorcycles, ATVs & Accessories, as well. However, you may find that a local upholstery shop does better for you.

Hope that helps some!

Roof Man

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
TD, thanks for the reply. Updated profile ...

Funny enough, no ones answered about the spark plug "wires" (in any forum I've asked in). I know you can send in the wires/boots to be redone, but ... isn't there some wires or a kit (all the wires) to buy that you can simply pull/replace with!? Yes, the mentioned shop that rebuilds them, said that they aren't meant for us "commoners" to do ourselves, but ... really!? lol

I think most people install a "switch" for the batteries. don't have that thus maybe why the 2nd/smaller one is a "back up." The larger one, is actually a Deisel truck battery! lol (950ca !) Heavy sob for sure. I took it out to charge on a larger charger and all.

And maybe I didn't "ask" ... "should I" drain/replace that oil with the proper type!? Think I can get it out of the tank/lines but ... just try to burn it out or off from engines? (when I get it/them going! ugggg....)

But again, sincere thanks for the advice and help.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Happy to help; many have helped me around here, so just paying back a bit as I can.

I think (I am trying to recall now) on my boat the boot is one piece with the coil and that the wire is actually one piece from the coil back to ... um, wherever it comes from. So on mine I don't think that there is a way to just replace the wire--you replace the coil and the whole shooting match. Not like the old days with a distributor cap where you just popped off the cap end and the plug end and swapped them out. Now, your's is a number of years off of mine, so may be completely different. But I suspect that you can just replace the wires, but that with the attached coil what is normally a $5 wire will cost you $95 (because of the coil, etc.).

Yes, I have had 2 types of switches for the batteries (I have 2 since I picked up the boat). People will have a 'starter' battery that has a high CCA and a deep cycle one that they use for the stereo, etc. (except for odd ducks like me who found 'starting deep cycle marine' batteries at Costco, so just got 2 of those). But there is not usually a smaller and larger one. At least you have enough CA to restart Dallas if it goes out in the storm. :)

On the oil: I certainly would. I don't know all of the differences between 2-stroke oil and lubrication-only oil, but I am guessing there are some. I don't think it would be tragic if you didn't get every drop out of the tank, but I would recycle all of that and put in the proper stuff. Otherwise any issue you have with the boat you will always be wondering if that is causing it (and it may be...). I am certainly open to being corrected on that one from someone who knows more of the specifics of 2-cycle oil composition.... So that one is just my opinion.