• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Not jetboat related.....but, new Mercury V12 Outboard....600 HP

dadofral

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Our company just made some parts to help mod a new formula 50 footer to adapt four of these monsters to their boat:

Our contact is telling us MSRP on each motor will be around $100K.....it's quite the system factoring in the the two speed transmission and turning.

Can't imagine how fast you can get a 50 foot boat going with 2400 HP behind it....

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
That's amazing - I mean, they put 600hp in an outboard, AND added gear steering? I want to know what the available degree of rotation is on the steering - sounds like docking heaven. Mercury catching the other brands sleeping! Also, I'll take four.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
That's amazing - I mean, they put 600hp in an outboard, AND added gear steering? I want to know what the available degree of rotation is on the steering - sounds like docking heaven. Mercury catching the other brands sleeping! Also, I'll take four.
45 degree left/right and 27" center mounts = you can likely put four of these where three previous models would fit. Imagine a 38ft center console like a Mystic with 4x600hp and 2-gear transmission for higher top speed. WOW...I'd guess 120mph+!
🤪
I just put in an order for a new Mystic boat...oh crap, I just woke up!
😞

Brad460

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Got to give Mercury credit here- they are crushing the outboard market with their technology. Not bad for a bunch of WI deer hunters..

Last edited:

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
They also have two gears in the lower, and dual props! 1,200+lbs per unit, too.
Pretty amazing.

Made for big dog boats and owners with a lot of FU money. @veedubtek - when are you getting yours, and what are you hanging them on??

:cool:

--

Canuckjetboater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
@anmut you would have Axius Joystick Docking with those. I had it on two different cruisers I had. You can move the boat sideways into a space if you have 12" of clearance stern and bow. You have two speed ranges with the mercury Axius Joystick docking and it used two separate (sometimes 3 separate) GPS modules for its Skyhook place holding feature. :cool:

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
@anmut you would have Axius Joystick Docking with those. I had it on two different cruisers I had. You can move the boat sideways into a space if you have 12" of clearance stern and bow. You have two speed ranges with the mercury Axius Joystick docking and it used two separate (sometimes 3 separate) GPS modules for its Skyhook place holding feature. :cool:
Yup saw a pic of a new Mystic with the 600hp motors and a joystick control.
Can anyone lend me half a million for a new toy?
:D

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
This looks pretty awesome. Will be nice to see this type of technology (2 spd transmission, steering) filter down to the more pedestrian 250-300hp models in the future.

tkeru408

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I was reading an article about these yesterday; they look totally bad*ss. Of course, they cost $77K each. The thought of throwing 3 or 4 of them on the back of a boat makes my head spin!

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I've read all the reasons a transmission on a boat doesn't work - how did Mercury get around this? Is the beginning of something amazing where, in ten years, all new outboards might have a four gear ratios available on the fly? One can only dream...

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Last edited:

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've read all the reasons a transmission on a boat doesn't work - how did Mercury get around this? Is the beginning of something amazing where, in ten years, all new outboards might have a four gear ratios available on the fly? One can only dream...
I don't think it is going to happen, not with traditional propellers anyway as that is the limiting factor. Come to think of it, that's where jet pumps (hamilton style especially - like in our boats) have tremendous advantage as they develop pretty much maximum thrust at zero speed, will out-accelerate any propped boat with the same power, but the gears come in hand at higher speeds where the new Merc is supposed to be able to high-speed cruise at much lower RPM saving fuel.

The shifting is supposed to be magically smooth. The big question with those lowers is their longevity, especially in marine environment. will it be the same as the IPS pod drives? Hope not.

--

WiskyDan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I drive past the Mercury Marine HQ/plant in Fond du Lac on my way to Oshkosh where my boat is dry stacked. I didn't know that outboards were this big and packed that much technology.

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I generally feel that I’m content with what I have in life & I don’t usually get jealous of nicer things....right up until I start looking at those amazing 40-50ft crossover/sport boats. Damn that would be nice. Maybe I shoulda worked harder!

Canuckjetboater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
I drive past the Mercury Marine HQ/plant in Fond du Lac on my way to Oshkosh where my boat is dry stacked. I didn't know that outboards were this big and packed that much technology.

@WiskyDan ..... back in the days when I raced the Mercury engine plant (blocks) was in Stillwater, Oklahoma. I used to talk frequently with the guys there Rocky, Mike et. al. SUPER bunch of guys!!!! In those days General Motors made ALL of the marine engine blocks for ALL Mercruiser engines for the coming year in one eight hour shift. A few years ago Mercury/Mercruiser opened their own block casting factory and re-designed their engine blocks and made them all in-house. In my 38 foot cruiser I had a set of completely re-designed 502 bog Blocks made at Mercruiser's new factory 430HP mated to a Bravo lll X drive. That cruiser would hit 52 MPH on the GPS - loaded! LOVE Mercury/Mercruiser. As a kid the Johnson outboards were known for longevity (you could beat the heck out of them) but the Mercurys were FAST.

elcue

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Our company just made some parts to help mod a new formula 50 footer to adapt four of these monsters to their boat:

Our contact is telling us MSRP on each motor will be around $100K.....it's quite the system factoring in the the two speed transmission and turning.

Can't imagine how fast you can get a 50 foot boat going with 2400 HP behind it....
They showed all the performance numbers in their website. It got up to 69 MPH