• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Oil filter issues

VONCE

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've always been okay with using pretty much any brand oil filter. I found some threads for oil filter cross references, so I went with a non-OEM filter. When I changed the filter and threaded on my new filter, it just stopped at the end. Every other time I've changed oil, the filter starts to get tight when it hits the rubber gasket, then you tighten a bit more and life is good. I didn't really think anything of it and continued with my oil change. When I started the engine, I looked in the bilge and there was a puddle of oil. What I discovered is some oil filters won't work with our boats. Check the filter and make sure the threads are recessed deeper than the gasket. They can't be the same depth. When I was looking for a picture online to show the comparison to better explain, I found someone had already run into this issue with a Yamaha Rhino. Attached is that person's picture. Notice the Wix (bottom) threads aren't recessed, but the OEM filter (top) has the deeper, recessed threads. Both the recessed thread and the non-recessed thread are direct cross references to one another, so open the box and look to ensure you're getting one with recessed threads!

IMG_5577.JPG

Last edited:

Grover70

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Love my K&N filter. Screws on easy and has the attachment for use of a ratchet on the end so I don't have to use a oil wrench.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for the heads up @VONCE So far, I haven't run into that situation, but I can see how that might be an issue.

Shannon

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
I am with you @Grover70 the K&N are spot on and are always easy due to the socket attachment! The 1002 are a perfect match for the newer 1.8 engines.

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I switched from the K&N to the mobil1 M-110. No real reason, a tiny bit larger. They are nice though. I bought 4 today on sale. Cam.

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I love the k&n filters

ISLANDRACING

Jet Boat Addict
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Other
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I copied and pasted this from another thread:
  1. "technically" there is not a K&N cross reference for the 69J Filter. This is directly from K&N. Call K&N direct, they'll tell you. Theres a reason why they dont have one available yet. why? I dont know...
    http://www.knfilters.com/cross_reference/yamaha.aspx

Some are using K&N's that "fit" or they saw a cross refrence from one of the online sites
If the 1002 was a cross-reference for the 1.8's they would have them listed on their site. Probably because the 1002 has an "american pitch" 3/4 thread and the 1.8's have a metric 20m pitch thread. Does it fit yes, slightly loose compared to the correct thread, but it does fit.

VONCE

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The filter I was using (attempting to use) was the common L14610 filter. These filters are found on a lot of foreign cars (Hondas, Toyotas, etc.) and have a metric M20 thread. Another cross-reference number is 51356. It is also metric. I had two of those and they worked fine. Apparently some brands just manufacture their filters differently. Buyer beware if you're using non-OEM filters!

Jump Right In

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I have a 2010 Yamaha 212x which if I understand correctly, means I have the MR-1 engines. Does anyone know what the correct model K&N filter is and the correct model Mobil One filter. I have searched many threads, and have found multiple model numbers. Thanks.

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Did you try searching on the K&N site for a match?

I just changed the oil & filters for my 10 hour service and ended up going with the Yamaha Watercraft change kits. The price was about the same as aftermarket oil and filters and they came delivered in the same box per engine.

Jump Right In

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Yes. However the model number the K&N site gave me, was different then other people have been posting on here which is where my confusion came in.

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
That's what I sew when looking it up for my boat. When I looked for a K&N filter for me 2017, I couldn't find a match. Guys have said one on here that does work but I decided to go ahead with the Yamaha filters and oil and not have to worry about it.

Jump Right In

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I switched from the K&N to the mobil1 M-110. No real reason, a tiny bit larger. They are nice though. I bought 4 today on sale. Cam.
Is that for the MR-1 engines? That looks like a 230 HO in the photo but I can't tell For certain.

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a 2010 Yamaha 212x which if I understand correctly, means I have the MR-1 engines. Does anyone know what the correct model K&N filter is and the correct model Mobil One filter. I have searched many threads, and have found multiple model numbers. Thanks.
If you have MR1 KN-303 should be the right filter.

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You have the same engine as me and they take the M1-110 mobil 1 filter. It is nice that the M1-110 fits the wifes car, the sons CRV and the boat. Cam

The kn_303 is the right t one too.

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
on my MR1s I used
K&N KN-204....worked every time.