• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Oil Filter replacement ( Alternative means )

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I have no way to test data on moisture absorbency or ability to dissipate it. My comments are just the difference of fleece filtration material vs paper. The moisture and other comments were just opinion, but as I said, the moisture discussion would be a good debate!

Geoff Cooper

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I prefer the K&N filter simply because of the nut on the bottom. Makes it so much easier to remove with a standard wrench or socket! Don't know why ALL oil filters aren't made that way. Oh wait, that would make too much sense :banghead:
Good point, As you use K&N filters have you found any disadvantage with these compared with the Yamaha ones?

Geoff Cooper

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have no way to test data on moisture absorbency or ability to dissipate it. My comments are just the difference of fleece filtration material vs paper. The moisture and other comments were just opinion, but as I said, the moisture discussion would be a good debate!
Point taken i fail to see how we can prove one way or the other it's just personal choice or availability.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
This should help with regard to the K&N construction. It appears they use a synthetic media.
http://www.knfilters.com/wrenchoff_oilfilter.htm
I would be interested to see what's inside the Mazda filter though. @Geoff Cooper may save this group a pile of money if they are the same as the Yamaha filters.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
LOL, it always comes down to that anyway! But it always makes for good conversation!

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have always used the K&N filters, quite happy with them. Never cut one open, however.

Geoff Cooper

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have always used the K&N filters, quite happy with them. Never cut one open, however.
I think that's the case if your happy with them and they do the job that's the main thing, I think that the engineer who gave me the advice has changed far more filters than i will ever do and he came with me to buy the boat and used his works Laptop to check it all out for me so i have no reason not to take his advice, I can understand that some people may have been given bad advice by techs but i have taken his advice before and had no reason at all to doubt his word, I use my Boat a lot and change the oil regularly, I cant get K&N filters here i have tried before and to import some would initiate large postage costs and import duty which there is no set scale it depends on how the Post Office manager feel at the time I'm afraid.

maboat

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Good point, As you use K&N filters have you found any disadvantage with these compared with the Yamaha ones?
yeah.

With K&N nut-on-the-bottom filters, the oil change is only a 1-beer job. Bummer. :arghh:

JetPowered

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
If you keep that as one beer per motor, you are still coming out ahead!

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Well, many of us love working on these boats! So it is a little sad when were finished before we can enjoy it more...I think @maboat was disappointed it didn't take longer and that he didn't have to have another beer! lol

Geiger41

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I see talk about having a certain type of wrench for these filters.. I have a '13 212X 1.8 When I did the oil change my first time a month ago fir winterization, I simply unscrewed the filter and screwed the new one on...did I miss something?

Geoff Cooper

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
yeah.

With K&N nut-on-the-bottom filters, the oil change is only a 1-beer job. Bummer. :arghh:
I never thought of that but don't you spill it while bent over in the engine compartment :)

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I see talk about having a certain type of wrench for these filters.. I have a '13 212X 1.8 When I did the oil change my first time a month ago fir winterization, I simply unscrewed the filter and screwed the new one on...did I miss something?
Yes, you missed the joy of an over-tightened filter or one that has been on the boat too long. Or is coated with oil due to a dumb mistake of getting hands messy and going to do the second engine. Not that *I* have done any of these things, mind you....

If you can do it with your hands, you do so and quickly get back to your beer. :)

spaz1868

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I will be winterizing my Yammie for the first time...I am taking all this convo in and learning from them. I have some K&N filters in hand and Mobil 1 full synthetic oil...and a 6 pack of beer of course.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I will be winterizing my Yammie for the first time...I am taking all this convo in and learning from them. I have some K&N filters in hand and Mobil 1 full synthetic oil...and a 6 pack of beer of course.
Just make sure the beer and oil go in the correct holes. :)

Geoff Cooper

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Is it the same filter for both the MR-1 and the 1.8L engines?
Yes i believe so as they use the same block but worth asking Yamaha the question a quick Phone call should do it or cross reference it on there parts list.

Geoff Cooper

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ok thought i would bring you up to date, I changed the oil last week while it tipped down with rain for about 5 days i used the Mazda Oil filters and this weekend was beautiful so i spent all weekend cruising around the Islands and all went well no problems so it looks like i have found a good replacement and saved some dollar, I always change the oil regular anyway i never wait for the recommended time to come around.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
No I haven't, but I will see if I can find one and look inside it!